Author Topic: MORE BLOODY TIMEWARP ISSUES  (Read 789 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
MORE BLOODY TIMEWARP ISSUES
« on: May 23, 2010, 11:20:27 AM »
Why do all the love jobs end up being a nightmare LOL

Well time warp had been working 95% everything except the sound.   On friday the boys were having a few games when the displays all went dead.   Turned the game of then on and id lost my high scores and freeplay setting ive tested the batteries to be ok and making good connection.  And now whenever i try to add credits the attract mode locks up leaving whatever lights were going lit.   Any suggestions ?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: MORE BLOODY TIMEWARP ISSUES
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 11:30:29 AM »

Dropping its memory would suggest batteries, but the game would boot to the audit mode.

Have you replaced the 40 pin interconnects and replaced the ROM sockets ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 11:33:52 AM »
Thanks Nino
               No it doesnt boot to audit mode interconnect board plugs have been replaced on the Driver board but not on the CPU was the only working board on the game and hoped to not have to touch it LOL.

Looks like it will have to come out Thanks Nino

Looks like it wont be leaving anytime soon   ^.^

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 11:36:33 AM »
Thanks Nino
               No it doesnt boot to audit mode interconnect board plugs have been replaced on the Driver board but not on the CPU was the only working board on the game and hoped to not have to touch it LOL.

Looks like it will have to come out Thanks Nino

Looks like it wont be leaving anytime soon   ^.^

I'd at least try the interconnects first. Even reseating them might "fix" the problem. General rule of thumb with sys4/6 - replace interconnects and the 5V cap on the power supply.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 11:48:35 AM »
Daniel, let me know if you want to test the sound board in my game to rule anything out/in.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 02:09:57 PM »
Sounds like you have a signal fault as in data being lost and so MPU locks. It COULD be 40 pin connector, but pulling this out is a lot of work and if not necessary, its tempting to avoid it.

You can retension the female side with a small screwdriver and as sacriligious as this sounds a light spray of CFC on the male. Put back in place and if symptoms are no longer then this is your fault area. Of course it doesnt fix it, but it does determine the fault. if its not here, then spray connectors with electronic cleaning spray to clean up.
make sure also that signals from PIA chips are above 3V. Ive had PIA gradually die on me and under this voltage is not seen as logic... game will just freeze due to low logic signal.

And yes - as nino states... 5V logic cap... check for RIPPLE!!!!

Offline FirePower

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 10:38:58 PM »
If you've already done the driver board side of the interconnector,  I'd have a really close look at the cpu male side pins and clean these with some very fine wet and dry, used dry.  I'd also examine the solder connections of the males under bright light with good magnificiation and maybe reflow them before total replacement - the males shouldn't be that troublesome.  I'd also examine and swap if socketed the 5101 and 6810 memory chips that are just to the right of the rom chips.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 11:04:39 PM »
Well ive replaced the interconnect on both sides and all the sockets to the 40 pin sockets to the PIAs and reflowed all the pins.  So i decided id plug them back in and see how i went.   Turned it on and the game booted  $#$  Clocked up a credit and wham it froze again  ^.^

Almost gave up for the night when i decided id re seat the CPU as its a dirty old looking chip and the game fired to life clcoket up credit and played a game until 2nd ball when the ball eject blew the fuse LOL

At least its going again lets hope its just a crook eject coil and thats what stuffing the sound aswell but thats for another day having one last JW can then going to bed

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 08:29:02 AM »

Almost gave up for the night when i decided id re seat the CPU as its a dirty old looking chip and the game fired to life clcoket up credit and played a game until 2nd ball when the ball eject blew the fuse LOL

^&^ ^&^ You  let us all exercise grey matter over possible causes and all the time you were looking at a really grubby CPU chip that wasnt seated right??

Oh Daniel.......Oh Daniel......   @.@

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 10:16:17 AM »
^&^ ^&^ You  let us all exercise grey matter over possible causes and all the time you were looking at a really grubby CPU chip that wasnt seated right??

Oh Daniel.......Oh Daniel......   @.@

:lol :lol :lol :lol
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 11:57:14 AM »
Well turned it on this morning and its all stuffed again im going to order a new CPU for it and see how that goes.

Man i love EMs  %.%

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 12:10:35 PM »
Is it a 6800 CPU??? Think i have some new ones here... happy to post one

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 12:23:36 PM »
Yeah Gav it is the 6800 if yu have a spare that would be great

Offline humpalot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 12:26:52 PM »
I'd be checking and replacing the sockets, if you haven't already done so.  These normally have crap sockets.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 01:55:50 PM »
I'd be checking and replacing the sockets, if you haven't already done so.  These normally have crap sockets.

Yep - CPU AND ROM sockets.

Sys4/6 machines need these manditory repairs. Intermittant problems cease if you replace the 40 pin interconnect, all sockets and the 5V cap on the power supply. 2 - 3 hours work.