Author Topic: WHAT IS THE DREADED BLACK DUST ?  (Read 793 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: WHAT IS THE DREADED BLACK DUST ?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 09:04:34 PM »
What is the dreaded black dust inside so many pins from Europe.?
Is this black dust in all machines that come from Europe.? Is it in home use pins as well or just container pins.?

Its in any machine that has had a lot of play....

... its the sooting from arcing across contacts. For the arcing to happen, an electron must leave one side and deposit on the other... this is not however a perfect transaction as the electron ( sometimes more than one) will not deposit completely and sometimes goes astray so to speak. Also known as the Edison Effect, it predicts that often when an electron leaves it will not deposit but will break down ( carbonise), this is also why contacts become pitted.. the pitting causes the Edison Effect to become more frequent.. and so a vicious cycle begins... more sooting and less electrical contact to work from and to.
Edison Effect will occur anywhere that electrons are passed through a medium from one contact to another.

Same effect happens in flouro tubes ( blacking on ends) and also neon tubes... the electrodes gradually over time break down and cause tube failure. In a flouro... approx 12months.. in a neon tube.. approx 10 years or more.

Or it could be diesel inside the machine......???LOL!!!????

That's why all machines should have a flux capacitor installed.

@@^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 09:07:26 PM »
..good ol carbon emission, dont tell Rudd.....

Hmm - could we collect it up from all the Euro containers and get some Carbon Credits for it? Gotta be some use for an Emissions Trading Scheme??   !@#
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 10:25:57 PM »
What is the dreaded black dust inside so many pins from Europe.?
Is this black dust in all machines that come from Europe.? Is it in home use pins as well or just container pins.?

Its in any machine that has had a lot of play....

... its the sooting from arcing across contacts. For the arcing to happen, an electron must leave one side and deposit on the other... this is not however a perfect transaction as the electron ( sometimes more than one) will not deposit completely and sometimes goes astray so to speak. Also known as the Edison Effect, it predicts that often when an electron leaves it will not deposit but will break down ( carbonise), this is also why contacts become pitted.. the pitting causes the Edison Effect to become more frequent.. and so a vicious cycle begins... more sooting and less electrical contact to work from and to.
Edison Effect will occur anywhere that electrons are passed through a medium from one contact to another.

Same effect happens in flouro tubes ( blacking on ends) and also neon tubes... the electrodes gradually over time break down and cause tube failure. In a flouro... approx 12months.. in a neon tube.. approx 10 years or more.

Or it could be diesel inside the machine......???LOL!!!????

but the pin that brett is concerned about has a fiptronic setup with low current flipper contacts and normaly open EOS's, to my knowledge has no high current arching any where.
if this is the case how does the dreaded black dust or carbon form in these type of pins?
also it seems to build up on the lamp pcb's and on the bottom of the playfield around the inserts where the lamps are.
i have my theory on this which i have spoken to brett about.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 10:31:50 PM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 10:35:43 PM »
Little Green Men I tell you!
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 11:12:12 PM »

you should add bags of it to your pile of crap auctions  :lol

Pile of Black Euro Dust Crap Auction, 0.01 cent start

dare I say this  %.% but now we know where the coffee comes from

The coffee jokes never die  !^!

how did I  guess  my coffee be brought up in this thread ...

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 11:30:02 PM »
hey some one has placed a bid, I kid you not  :lol :lol :lol  @@* @@*
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 11:31:32 PM »
its very expensive angel dust.......try snorting or smoking it !*!
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 11:39:49 PM »

promise I will ad some a normal pile of crap to it too ....

hey its late and gotta have some fun

now to find a little green man to add to it ....

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 11:43:50 PM »

I think it is the poo dust from the European wasps. Nasty fellows get into all the nooks and crannies and drop their guts after a hard day stinging the locals  %.%

I've seen the same crap on USA machines - but not as bad. My theory is that some of it is from the smoke filled bars etc..
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2010, 02:40:11 AM »
I knew i could count on all u crazy bastards to give me a serious answer. NOT  @.@ @.@ @.@  $#$ $#$ $#$ $#$ $#$ $#$ $#$

And to show you how i do seriously wonder about the black dust, I have never had it inside of any of my Australian delivered pinballs or any of my USA delivered pinballs.

So it has to be diesel/soot or some other shit from europe.

Is anyone on here a European who has lived overseas, I want to X Ray your lungs to confirm my theory.  :D

HAVE U GUYS SEEN THIS DREADED BLACK DUST INSIDE OF A USA used only machine or a Aussie used only machine ??  !@# !@# !@# !@#

A reward for a serious batch of answers is available. But i won't hold my breath.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

p.s - love the ebay auction Mark. Crazy bugger. Take a photo of a white bag, bet it gets a bigger bid.  ^^^
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 02:45:25 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2010, 08:47:49 AM »
my bid is in  :lol

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 10:38:36 AM »
47 cents .....  lol

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2010, 10:39:56 AM »
I knew i could count on all u crazy bastards to give me a serious answer. NOT  @.@ @.@ @.@  $#$ $#$ $#$ $#$ $#$ $#$ $#$

And to show you how i do seriously wonder about the black dust, I have never had it inside of any of my Australian delivered pinballs or any of my USA delivered pinballs.

Is anyone on here a European who has lived overseas, I want to X Ray your lungs to confirm my theory.  :D

HAVE U GUYS SEEN THIS DREADED BLACK DUST INSIDE OF A USA used only machine or a Aussie used only machine ??  !@# !@# !@# !@#

A reward for a serious batch of answers is available. But i won't hold my breath.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

p.s - love the ebay auction Mark. Crazy bugger. Take a photo of a white bag, bet it gets a bigger bid.  ^^^

serious   on here  ?

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2010, 10:45:56 AM »

the lah i am working on had it and it was a aussie delivered pin from new, so its not just over seas pins.