Author Topic: Best cab leg protection?  (Read 481 times)

Offline Pajo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Best cab leg protection?
« on: June 23, 2010, 10:35:22 PM »
I was wondering if people could share their experiences with cabinet leg protectors.  Are there any that are better than others for using with a re-decaled cabinet.  I've read that there have been some problems with Pincab protectors and wrinkling and I'd love to hear how effective the felt ones Mark C supplies are.  What's the best that is out there? Commnets appreciated as I really don't want to stuff up a newly decaled cabinet and don't have any experience with this!!

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Best cab leg protection?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 12:10:58 AM »
Ive got the felt ones mark sells on a newly painted cab. Cant see any reason why they would lead to anything other than protecting whats underneath, they are a VERY durable  felt, but dont cling  or dign into a cabinet like the bare metal may..

I dont have any decaled pins, but im at a loss to see why Marks would do anything other than what they are  designed for

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 12:27:32 AM »
I have used the grey felt ones on almost all of the 30 machines i have, and I have not had any problems with any of the redecalled machines either.

I note, when I have moved machines from premises to premises, and have had to take off the protectors (cause i took the legs off) , there were not any sticking or damage issues from the felt protectors.

I also note, that the plastic style protectors that I recently saw on the RTBB site for example, do look alot better, but have seen some slight indentations from the hard edges on a friends machine. But, I have to say, if u never remove the protectors, you will never have an issue. I mean, why would you not keep them on. They do come in different colours but are more expensive.

My advice, if u want to save money, go the grey felt ones.(soft side goes towards the machine).

If u want to add the bling, and dont mind spending the $, go the RTBB ones.

hope it helps.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 12:27:43 AM »
+1 to the felt type .

I've got them on all of my 4 pins and they work great .

Some tips though are to check your legs to make sure they don't have any burrs / sharp edges  and when tightening up the leg bolts - don't overdo it !! You only need to just nip them up firm . The more you tighten the more you're going to pull the steel leg into the timber cabinet .

Offline Hooked

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • USA
  • God-Family- Pins.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 01:02:08 AM »
Craft stores here sell adhesive backed felt for $2-3 per sheet.
Two sheets and a razor and you have one set.  The felt stickes to the inside of the leg and leaves no marks at all.
I too had issues with a redecaled cab using the plastic protectors.
Non a facotry finished cab I use Plastic (since I already have them) but on everything else felt. :2cents:
Custom mods made from top quality materals.
http://Http://Hookedonpinball.com

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 09:17:39 AM »
Used both on my machines and found the felt is a good cheap option for some of my B titles that I don't wont any more damage done to.
I use the plastic ones on my cookie cutlers as they just finish the cab off after it has been re decal.You can trim the felt ones, but the plastic do look nice.Black the best ,seams to go well with any cab.

Most of the time, damage is done by the legs not been tight and the machine moving back and forth during game play or dragging the machine on the floor to move it.
Check your brackets inside the machine and make sure all the locking screws are there.Found a few machine without them, causing the bracket to move on the inside of cabinet.

Tight, but don't over do it as it will mark the cab.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 04:10:10 PM by wonder »
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline Pinprick

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 02:11:45 PM »
Contrary to a lot of opinions, I personally hate cab protectors for HUO machines.
Unless you plan to drag your machine(s) across the floor or kick the bejesus out of them and thus cause cutting or abrasion to the leg/cab interface, they are serve no purpose.
They always look tacked on and are IMHO aesthetically hideous (especially those furry felt f**kers) and are waste of hard earned.
My approach is simply to very firmly bolt the legs on over re-decals or touch-ups and then leave things alone.
I've done this for some years and never had a problem.  *%*
"I don't operate on a level playing field"

mark jackson

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 02:59:06 PM »
Hi, Mark C's felt leg protectors would be on my list of 100 things you can do to improve/preserve your hard earned pinball machines. So simple, and you can trim them so they don't stick out and look ugly. They add a soft buffer so that the steel legs never come into contact with the timber of the cabinet. A great and simple thing which will prevent damage to your cabinet. Mark Jackson

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 08:34:01 PM »
I've got felt protectors on all my pins. Didn't cost me anything so it makes sense to me.

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 09:00:15 PM »

thanks Guys

we only use the felt ones on all our pins and I use them on my personal pins , redecaled CC . SC , AFM  and of course  my NIB sterns  Shreks , Black Spiderman
I even added them to my JD and the MM that came from wayne has them . and the rest when i unbox them will have protectors on
every decaled pin we have done gets them , I couldnt add new decals without protecting them , all that work and then to add legs and wreck them ...

so for all the great replies for the protectors   lets give tim some work

1 - 2 sets  2.94   and then 3 - 200 sets  only 1.05  a set
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 11:37:33 AM by pinnies4me »

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 09:10:45 PM »
so for all the great replies for the protectors   lets give tim some work

1 - 2 sets  2.94   and then 3 - 200 sets  only 1.05  a set

Tim will happy,and busy. %.% %.%
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 11:09:01 PM »
so for all the great replies for the protectors   lets give tim some work

1 - 2 sets  2.94   and then 3 - 200 sets  only 1.05  a set

Tim will happy,and busy. %.% %.%

he will kill me when he read this ............

Offline Duckman

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 11:43:59 PM »
WTF!!!!!  SHUDDUP!!!!!!!! ^&^

Nah, they are terrible, crap i say, Don't listen to these idiots they don't know what they are talking about.

Oh yeah, and the first person that buys 100 sets like last time we had a special.

I WILL FIND YOU!!!!! *)* *)* *)*

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 04:03:44 PM »
I use the felt ones.
on the LAH i am restoring i gave the side that goes to the leg a light coat of black paint, just enough to give them colour, so now i have black leg protectors on it to match the black legs and black cab
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Pajo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 11:55:31 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.  Looks like I'll be using Mark C's felt ones as I already have some of those that I bought with the new legs.  I'll put a post up on how I went putting on my first decals (dry method) in the next few days.