Author Topic: Gulfstream Restoration  (Read 2919 times)

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
Re: Gulfstream Restoration
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 12:27:19 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys!! I've already got eucalyptus oil so i'll get some isopropyl and see which works better. Lots of chips off the paint under the grime (i looked close before i started cleaning) so will need to touch up as well. Will be the start of many more questions im sure  :lol

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 12:30:05 AM »
Tony,

Thats 3 posts saying youi are going to bed - ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Bet you are still here reading this!

To answer the question.
meths with ME works a treat, but as said before BE CAREFUL!!!  If you feel any drag wahtsoever STOP!

get a new piece of ME and try agian - the drag means you are rubbing varnish or paint off

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 12:31:26 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys!! I've already got eucalyptus oil so i'll get some isopropyl and see which works better. Lots of chips off the paint under the grime (i looked close before i started cleaning) so will need to touch up as well. Will be the start of many more questions im sure  :lol

Post some pictures if you can, Rob - Just to see that thing are going ok ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 05:56:33 PM »
Alrighty then!

Had a go with the isopropyl wetting the magic eraser trick (lower playfield so far) and came up with the following. Not too shabby i think? The only problem with it is that when it had grime, you could hardly see the paint chips, now they stick out like dogs ball (cant see them well in the photo). Oh well, a few more hours of this and i might have something to touch up!!!

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 06:18:38 PM »
Its looking very good!  Slow and steady wins the race here.....Don't rush with the paint...Matching is very important.  When I did my T2, I mixed the paint then applied to a clear sheet (like you used for overhead projectors at school), waited for it to dry (with hairdryer so other mixed paint didn't) to check match...

Are you removing the playfield plastics etc as well?  Probably worth cleaning the whole thing....IF so take heaps and heaps then heaps of photos, each post (if different) I label with masking tape then into glad bag for each part...

Looking good!  No rush...

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 06:19:03 PM »

I think that looks great Rob - how was it before you started ?

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 07:08:51 PM »
Yep will keep posting if you guys dont mind. It helps me keep a record too so its good for posterity sakes anyway  :lol

And marty yep i will definately be taking the playfield parts off cause im finding it to hard to claen around them.

check out my first post, it will show the filthy filthy playfield on the first photo, the before shot if you like!!

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 08:26:13 PM »
Gee Rob,

That looks awesome!

Keep the pix coming mate - we all enjoy them.

The main thing is you are making progress everyday on your game, so imagine what it will be like in a few months time.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 08:28:07 PM »
Now that colour you have there is outstanding!!!!

Now what about those tiny paint chips??

They are so small, id be inclined to just leave em be, unless its a real easy colour to match.

Only problem you will have is that they are right in the ;line of the ball from the fl;ippers and so will get larger the more you play.

As a temporary measure you can seal the edges with clear nail varnish or even super glue. Only a very thin coat along the edges is required to prevent the wear from progressing. When you do come to touch these up, both products will just wipe off in one wipe with acetone on a rag - remember..one wipe, dont go eating the paint also. A cotton bud squeezed of excess is a better option

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 12:06:50 AM »
Yep will keep posting if you guys dont mind. It helps me keep a record too so its good for posterity sakes anyway  :lol

And marty yep i will definately be taking the playfield parts off cause im finding it to hard to claen around them.

check out my first post, it will show the filthy filthy playfield on the first photo, the before shot if you like!!

"If we don't mind.."  %.%

I encourage you to post as many questions as you like.. I have a feeling that with a bit of patience, this machine is going to have the attention and the results it deserves !

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2009, 05:44:37 PM »
Early days but i cant stop thinking about stuff i have to do a few steps ahead. Anyway, i was wondering if there is a resource (web page etc) that outlines the colors used on the playfields. It seems that many pinnies share the same playfield colours so am wondering if such a page exists. I know i can buy Pantone colour charts but dont want to spend the couple of hundred dollars?

!@#

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 10:23:45 PM »
Further to my last post, i went to Bunnings with the brilliant brave wave idea that i would grab ALL the colour swatches off the wall to see if i can take them home and match my playfield colours. Of course it didnt work. It seems people dont like playfield colourson their housewalls ...

So still looking for a way to match the colours any ideas... Anyway, i decided i'd give the other side of may cabinet a scratch to today with pleasing results. I managed to find all the artwork under there. I was much more successful on this side of the cabinet (the other side pic should be in my first post) and i attribute that to the fact id dint use any "goof off" to aid with the removal. When i used goof off, it seemed to soften too much of the paint, undercoat AND artwork. This time i just scratched with a 50c coin.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2009, 12:26:31 AM »

Great Update !

Looks like the Gulfstream is getting a good work out !

Both on the restoration side of things and playing !

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2009, 07:25:38 PM »
The deeper i get into this hobby, the more frustrated and happy i am  :lol... my latest saga (sorry i only provide problems not solutions  :lol) is the playfield on the Gulfstream. Colour matching is not my forte to say the least.

The first thing i tried is to mix water based acrylics.. I'm finding it almost impossible to do due to the dry time and the fact that it dries darker. So when i thought i was close i dabbed a small amount of a close mix onto the playfield and worked it into the numerous chipouts. Stood out like dogsballs!! And when i cleaned the playfield up the paint came along with it. Now my playfield is covered in chip outs so this method wont do at all..

I've decided on stripping back the whole playfield, making up some sort of stencil and respraying the playfield in enamels. So now i've had a go on photoshop to see if i can come up with a colour thats close enough (no longer critical to get the paint exact as i will repaint everything) and flicked through the Pantone library that comes with PS2..  The closest Pantone colour i could find was 3255C (solid coated) but even this isnt really close. So then i played with the RGB and came out with rgb : 50:255:235 which is not bad.. But the problem with that is that i dont have a colour calibrated monitor so it doesnt really sho true colour anyway  *.*

So some questions (so many of them already..)

1. Can any paint stores make up a colour if i told them the rgb value?
2. what can i make the stencil out of?
3. how do i cut sections out of it that i want to paint without ruining the playfield with cuts
4. Where can i go to see the largest colour range ? Automotive ?
5. Should i just give up and decal the whole thing?
6. Am i a fool ... Oh wait i know the answer to that one already  &^&

Thanks guys!!

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2009, 10:15:37 PM »
Hi Guys, very small update and a thanks. A big thanks to Spurr who for a couple of bucks gave me a playfield for the gulfstream (not to mention all the plastics that went with it)as well as a headbox with original artwork. Playfields a little rough but i think it will make the perfect practice piece for a newb like me. Thanks again Mark!!!