Author Topic: My second pin has arrived - Pro football  (Read 17008 times)

Offline oldpins

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
Re: My second pin has arrived - Pro football
« Reply #390 on: February 05, 2010, 06:19:29 PM »
I have just completed a restoration on a project 'Pro Football'. I know what your going through. All working perfectly now, only cabinet art to finalise. I,ve had a look at the lastest threads & problems your having and may be able to help. I see the problem with the ball in play unit & the ball launcher your having.
Had a look at the sequence when game started with 1st ball in the launcher.

Relay  Q (Add ball count unit) energised
Relay  P (Ball return control relay) Not energised
Relay  O (Ball return Relay) energised

A set of contacts on Relay P drives the score motor which in turn closes contacts @ 4C (top disc), these contacts are normally open. Look at contacts with the (orange-black tracer) wire & (blue-black tracer) wire. These when closed energise the 'Add ball count unit' relay & advance it from the 0-6 position.

Note: If you hold in the 'P' relay contacts by hand it will advance the score motor &  'Add ball count unit' repeatedly.

Hope this helps. GT

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 07:14:17 PM by oldpins »

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #391 on: February 05, 2010, 08:00:37 PM »
Do all the score reels still stop on 0?  And does the score motor stop?

Yeah the score motor stops when it reaches the top step.

Im also trying to understand what oldpins posted but i just dont understand what i need to check? And oldpins, can you tell me what the pop bumber switches should look like n/c n/o etc.

Thanks guys and Gav, i gotta agree, i see the genius in these EM's and im certainly not turned off owning them in the future just because of Pro football

Offline SPURR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #392 on: February 05, 2010, 10:17:49 PM »
Hey Rob is the Gulf Stream still going ?

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #393 on: February 05, 2010, 11:01:46 PM »
Hey Rob is the Gulf Stream still going ?

Yeah mate Gulfstream hasnt missed a beat since i bought it! and for $500 (same as pro football) it has to be a great purchase!

Offline dj10555

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #394 on: February 05, 2010, 11:59:28 PM »
Rob,
Is the Q relay working alright? This was sticking on, even with the power turned off to the game.

regards Derek

Offline oldpins

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #395 on: February 06, 2010, 09:58:51 AM »
Do all the score reels still stop on 0?  And does the score motor stop?

Yeah the score motor stops when it reaches the top step.

Im also trying to understand what oldpins posted but i just dont understand what i need to check? And oldpins, can you tell me what the pop bumber switches should look like n/c n/o etc.

Thanks guys and Gav, i gotta agree, i see the genius in these EM's and im certainly not turned off owning them in the future just because of Pro football
I would be looking closely at the Q relay which triggers the score motor which then operates the 'add ball count unit' solenoid.
Heres a pic of a new pop bumper under PF contacts.
GT

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #396 on: February 06, 2010, 10:58:28 AM »
thanks for the pic oldpins!

Yep it seems that both bumpers are out of whack. Both of the bottom switches are normally open... so i try and adjust it.. of course i have misplaced my adjustment tool and doing it with pliers and other methods arent working..

Anyone know where i can get one here in Oz? I dont really want to buy one from PBR which is where i got it last time

Regards
Rob

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #397 on: February 06, 2010, 11:24:22 AM »
I just use long flat nosed pliers.. can buy them cheap anywhere

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #398 on: February 08, 2010, 04:00:05 PM »
yay! i found my adjuster, now what to adjust?  :lol. And to answer dereks question, no q relay doesnt get stuck, it fires once at the start and releases straight away.  !!!

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #399 on: February 08, 2010, 04:29:23 PM »
yay! i found my adjuster, now what to adjust?  :lol. And to answer dereks question, no q relay doesnt get stuck, it fires once at the start and releases straight away.  !!!

From memory rob that relay should stay stuck on until a score is registered.    Try adjusting the pop bumper switches to the way they should be then see what happens.

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #400 on: February 08, 2010, 10:05:41 PM »

From memory rob that relay should stay stuck on until a score is registered.    Try adjusting the pop bumper switches to the way they should be then see what happens.

Yep that sounds right to me.  I have printed a larger version of the schematic so my aging eyes can read it and to prepare a systematic test plan for the next round with Profootball.  The bumbers do need to be adjusted but they wont effect this issue.

Q is the ball return control relay - energised by ball in launch position switch and when machine is in reset condition. Line 10 of schematic.

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #401 on: September 24, 2010, 11:51:13 PM »
Well - this piece of Aussie Pinball history is now in my possession...  $#$

Played around for an hour - resets okay, but scores 1000 and single chime at the end of the reset sequence. (No ball launch - no flipper power). When machine is in this state, only the vari-targets work, all else dead... (No ball in the outhole)

If the ball is in the outhole and you press start - the ball count steps through all 6 positions to game over...

If you hold the ball count on ball 2 (or 3 can't remember)  - then drop the ball in the outhole, the game steps to the next ball and plays normally - all switches score as normal, launch with the flipper button works etc. etc.

Do I start a new thread to figure out WTF is wrong with it?

Or keep this one going?  !@#
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #402 on: September 24, 2010, 11:56:01 PM »
There is a relay on the left hand side near the front of the cabinet it controls between the flippers and the center ball shooter when the ball is in the center try pushing the right flipper unthinkable it was to shoot the ball

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #403 on: September 25, 2010, 12:04:19 AM »

Sounds like a stuck 1000 point switch. Does the vari target return to it's reset position (all the way forward) ?

If the Pro football is your SECOND machine (as per the title), then this thread can continue !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #404 on: September 25, 2010, 12:55:36 AM »

Sounds like a stuck 1000 point switch. Does the vari target return to it's reset position (all the way forward) ?

If the Pro football is your SECOND machine (as per the title), then this thread can continue !

No it's machine #5 (if you count 2 arcade cabs) - the title needs to be changed...

Had a bit more of a play (once I found the earth lead for the chimes - holy shit they are loud when everyone is in bed - LOL)

The Vari's return okay - reset position switches are open, looks good to me.

The "Q" relay looks like shit - stretched out spring, and very little "travel" compared to the rest....

Score reels need help - 1000's get stuck, have to slap the headbox to get it to advance.

100's reel appears to tick over on 2 instead of 9 (i.e. it gets to 999 and the 1000 reel doesn't move until it clicks past 200)

To get the thing to work - press start - resets score to zero. Nothing but vari-targets score. all else is dead.

Trigger ball trough switch - steps through 5 balls until game over.

If I let go of the ball trough after the score motor runs - it stops on ball 3, and I can play a normal game - everything seems happy, until you trigger the trough switch - then it steps though to game over...

The "AB" relay is rooted IMO - it is just permanently latched on - if I unlatch it, score motor runs continuously... I did see it unlatch and relatch itself ONCE - I think the metal tabs are bent wrong - it seems way too tight?

I'll keep playing.... Bloody mechanical marvel!
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...