Author Topic: My second pin has arrived - Pro football  (Read 17243 times)

Offline narf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: My second pin has arrived - Pro football
« Reply #315 on: June 19, 2009, 09:18:42 AM »
good stuff mate

it took me ages to sort out my em. for a while i just walked away came back and got into it

i was lucky all the steppers were fine just switch niggles and loose wires. I hadnt touched the old girl for a good 6 months before selling it but missing it already. I never really got it totally sorted but the process of tinkering gave me a good heads up for the future

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #316 on: June 19, 2009, 09:33:11 AM »
Will check tommorrow! not sure what runout switch is?? but i'll definately have a look at 4D and will ask questions about the alligator clip gear as well  ^^^

Score reels reset to zero - I believe that was looked at by a couple of Techs at Paul's meet ?

Yep absolutely, score reels work a treat  ^^^

If the score reels are all at ZERO, then the issue would have been either the Ball count Unit (fixed) or the 4D switch on the score motor (that's my bet right now).

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #317 on: June 19, 2009, 08:11:42 PM »
ok i cleaned and checked 4d (the uppermost switch on its own) and it opens and closes while the motor is running.  !!!

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #318 on: June 19, 2009, 08:20:06 PM »
OH MY GOD.... YES YES YES YES YES YES we have success!!!!!! #*# $#$

Ok as soon as Daniel said stepper unit it triggered a memory of last night at the meet where Tony (who also took a look at the headbox) noticed that the ball count step unit wasnt sitting on the first contact point. So i ran outside, started it up again and it ticked away again and again. So i fiddled with the stepper by hand and made the first contact... yeeehhhhhaaaaaaaaa the score reel stopped ticking. played a full game hit lots of 100 pointers and no coil sticking  $#$ Finished that game and started another... ticking over so i stepped it again, played another game and ran inside to type this!!!! So now i just need to adjust the ball count stepper and i think im there!!!! ^^^

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

When you were getting the games to start by fiddling with the stepper unit as above was there anything else you could have bumped or brokien a wire off maybe?

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #319 on: June 19, 2009, 08:31:23 PM »
will check again tommorrow. The only thing that i fiddled around with is the score reel and the stepper.. i just have a feeling it is the stepper because originally, me manually moving it made the motor stop... now it keeps running no matter what i do ...

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #320 on: June 19, 2009, 08:41:32 PM »
Just for good measure id re solder all the wires on the stepper unit.    And if you have got a muliti meter yet check that each rivet is still connected to the solder lug then check that each rivet makes contact with the wiper arm

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #321 on: June 22, 2009, 11:11:19 PM »
Ok i ripped out the playfield and tested all coils in the main box and they all work... so because im a massacist, im thinking of rebuilding the stepper as per Daniels thread. I wanna try the aligator clip trick first on the stepper. Can someone explain this? also want to buy a multimeter which i dont know how to use so anything i need to check that it must have?

Actually one more thing to ask, is there a way i can take the stepper out of the equation by bypassing it somehow? dont know if that question makes sense

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 11:22:14 PM by Ford Fairlane »

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #322 on: June 22, 2009, 11:15:53 PM »
If your deaf like me,make sure it has a loud beep when testing continuity.  @.@
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #323 on: June 22, 2009, 11:23:25 PM »
Ford mate,

Do yourself a favour and go buy an ANALOGUE meter.
 For an EM repair, id say these are essential. Reason being that you can put clips on the leads and clip them into place on a relay/ switch.
 You say that switch 4D and that it opens and closes. This may be the case, but is it making electrical contact whilst doing this??
 The way to find out and to eliminate every switch in the start up sequence is to clip the leads across the switch and have the meter set to low Ohms. As the game goes into start up sequence watch the needle on the meter - you should see it shoot over to the other side of the gauge for a split second as the switch closes - this means that it has low Ohms or made good contact. If you do this with a DMM then you will not see it as the damn things are DIGITAL and so are always slightly behind what has just happened. You need to ensure GOOD contact in the start up sequence.
 Do what i have described for the score stepper also... if the needle dont move or only moves very slightly, then this is a fault and the leaf switches need adjusting.

Im scratching my head here... have you honestly gone some 50 odd pages fixing an EM and you dont own a meter?? Man!!!! You could have had this licked 49 pages ago!

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #324 on: June 22, 2009, 11:26:25 PM »
Ford mate,

Do yourself a favour and go buy an ANALOGUE meter.
 For an EM repair, id say these are essential. Reason being that you can put clips on the leads and clip them into place on a relay/ switch.
 You say that switch 4D and that it opens and closes. This may be the case, but is it making electrical contact whilst doing this??
 The way to find out and to eliminate every switch in the start up sequence is to clip the leads across the switch and have the meter set to low Ohms. As the game goes into start up sequence watch the needle on the meter - you should see it shoot over to the other side of the gauge for a split second as the switch closes - this means that it has low Ohms or made good contact. If you do this with a DMM then you will not see it as the damn things are DIGITAL and so are always slightly behind what has just happened. You need to ensure GOOD contact in the start up sequence.
 Do what i have described for the score stepper also... if the needle dont move or only moves very slightly, then this is a fault and the leaf switches need adjusting.

Im scratching my head here... have you honestly gone some 50 odd pages fixing an EM and you dont own a meter?? Man!!!! You could have had this licked 49 pages ago!
:lol Gav, My only problem with having a multi meter is i have no idea how to use it  !@). I would even know where to clip the leads on 4D to check for contact.. im an electrical idiot  :lol

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #325 on: June 22, 2009, 11:52:15 PM »
Then tomorrow ill post some pics that have a meter clipped to a switch, settings on the meter and also what to look out for. Then all you have to do is print off the start up sequence from marvins site, attach clips to nominated switch and eliminate each one by one. The start up sequence is a hard and fast rule - if one step falls out - the game will not start and often the motor will keep running waiting for the next switch closure to happen.

If you do what i have suggested, you WILL find the fault and you will be able to start your game once fixed.

Simple step by step procedure...

... Damn!!!! I got sucked into this thread!

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #326 on: June 23, 2009, 12:30:15 AM »
Everyone else who knows anything about EMs has, so you might as well join them!

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #327 on: June 23, 2009, 07:42:05 AM »
Everyone else who knows anything about EMs has, so you might as well join them!

Have I offered my superior advice yet?
Well it could be just a fuse............... :lol

Um sorry Rob  *)*

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #328 on: June 23, 2009, 08:28:46 AM »
Then tomorrow ill post some pics that have a meter clipped to a switch, settings on the meter and also what to look out for. Then all you have to do is print off the start up sequence from marvins site, attach clips to nominated switch and eliminate each one by one. The start up sequence is a hard and fast rule - if one step falls out - the game will not start and often the motor will keep running waiting for the next switch closure to happen.

If you do what i have suggested, you WILL find the fault and you will be able to start your game once fixed.

Simple step by step procedure...

... Damn!!!! I got sucked into this thread!

hahahah so sorry Gav but some multimeter training would be fantastic. Then i'll go and buy one. Heck its my birthday tomorrow so its in the bag!!  $#$

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #329 on: June 23, 2009, 08:58:06 PM »
Ford baby.....

have put it in " TIPS 101"or whatever its called... this should see you getting that game running for your birthday!