Author Topic: Bally Space Invaders Restore  (Read 2440 times)

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Re: Bally Space Invaders Restore
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 04:54:18 PM »
Very nice  ^^^

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 09:26:39 PM »
love this machine. it is on my must have list (along with centaur, rolling stones and fathom from this era). someone else recently was telling me about these backglasses exploding in their hands. anyone know why that happens?

Have heard of backglasses expoding a few times in peoples hands....would say it would be the differences in temperature from the persons hands and the glass. Same with placing backglasses (and playfield glass) directly on the ground against the wall when the floor is cement. ALWAYS place a towel or something similiar down first!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Bally Space Invaders Restore - Power Supply Rebuild
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 11:04:13 AM »

Power Supply Rebuild

As soon as I saw the power board in this game, I just knew it was not right to just rebuild the current board. So I bought a new board from GPE and installed it. So I guess it is not a Power board rebuild, but a replacement !

This is the moment of truth - "pop the bonnet" and this is what caught my attention ;

Once I removed the panel out of the game and I saw the full extent of the condition of the board, I knew it had to be replaced.

Out with the old, and in with the new. The instructions that come with the board are very easy to follow. Just remove the wires from the old board and solder them onto the designated points on the new board. It took about 20 minutes to rewire and double check.

I sanded the base board down, washed and polished the metal mounting board. Reassembled with new PCB Stand ups and I'm nearly done !

The protective panel was a bit dirty, so a quick clean and spray with some Black paint..

Finally mounted back in the cabinet. The connectors are repinned with the new pins and housings that are included with the board. Probably took 2 hours all up, and cost $100 - But the rebuild will make the game reliable and it looks a lot better !!

Next update will be the playfield strip and flipper rebuilds !

&&
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Bally Space Invaders Restore - Playfield !
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 11:17:17 AM »

Playfield

The playfield was previously worked on by Wotto. He removed the mylar, so all the hard work was already done for me. However, I wanted to do remove all the parts from the top of the playfield anyway, and attend to the centre horse shoe area. Looking at the "before" picture below, the area looks to be in good condition. It was previously work to wood and the rollovers had to be replaced. There was also two holes near the "Special When Lit" inserts. It looks like the Operator installed some miniposts near the entrance - Nasty !!

Wotto created, printed and installed the decal and it looks incredible. It was lifting under the posts, so I thought I would address that later on with a sheet of mylar. Notice the new Bumper Caps, and all the plastics are in great condition. Not much to do here, but I'll use any excuse to strip a playfield !

Even though the mylar was removed, there was still a "dullness" to the playfield. However it was still in great condition.

Here's a closeup of the Horse Shoe area with the decal installed. The idea is to protect the area with a sheet of mylar. There was some touch up work done where the decal joined the playfield.

The area I had to cover had to be bigger than the decal and also be alighned under the playfield hardware. So I drew a template for the mylar ;

Cut the piece of mylar to size and position on the playfield ;

Mylar sheet installed - Note that you can see the mylar between the "3X" and "4X" Bonus inserts. It looks a lot better from the player's view.

The playfield has been cleaned with Novus 2 and has its first coat of wax.

Under the Playfield

This is where quite a lot of work was required. The Flipper assemblies are very worn. I decided new coils and rebuild kits were required. The EOS and the "advanced" EOS on these pins are crucial to be in good working order. The coil values were not correct, so I ordered them as well.

The Target Banks will be rebuilt, as will every other moving part ;

Sneak Peek !

Here's a picture of the flipper coil bases. The middle two have been polished - just for kicks ! Here's a tip - Notice the coil stop screw holes - They are worn and oversized screws have damaged the holes themselves. So new screws will eventually loosen in time. All you need to do is SWAP them over - so that the coil stop is in the next two holes mext to the originals. These plates can be used for LHS or RHS. I ALWAYS swap them over and use the new holes.

Next Update - Flipper Rebuild Heaven !

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 01:33:21 PM »
Nino,

Do you ever sleep? Looks like this restoration is coming along very nicely. Luckily the game you got from Wotto looks like a nice solid game to start with.

Keep the inspirational updates coming mate  ^^^

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 01:35:03 PM »
Hey Nino,

Nice to see a thread on this machine.

The decal for that playfield is just OK.
I was never totally happy with the colouring ( it looks a lot better in RL than under the flash of a camera I have to say )
The playfield is 100% better than what it was and that decaled area was back to the wood – so it is an improvement but the colours didn’t match  that well.

I LOVE the artwork on this playfield, so much so I was going to get one of the ‘heads’ as a tattoo once !

I will look to see if I have some shots of the playfield as it was originally and post them in this thread if that’s OK ?
DW Drums rule !

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 02:45:08 PM »
Nino,

Do you ever sleep? Looks like this restoration is coming along very nicely. Luckily the game you got from Wotto looks like a nice solid game to start with.

Keep the inspirational updates coming mate  ^^^

Tony - I have HEAPS of Restores that I have not documented on any forum. Spacies is a machine I did a while ago, but I thought I'd share it now as I'm not really working on any current restores other than the Pro Football - and that's on hold until I can paint it. The Flash and Sinbad were the last restores I have done in recent times. The Flash is waiting for the Sinbad - So they can be sent together to Tony. The Sinbad is waiting for Gav to repair the backglass art.. So I have no room at the moment to start the Time Warp or Buccaneer.

What other machines can I feature on a restore thread - Big Deal, Solar Ride, Skateball, Hot Hand, Meteor, Paragon...

What machines are in the pipeline - Spirit, Haunted House, Fathom, Medusa, Flight2000, Sky Jump, Playboy, KISS, Volley, Spirit of 76...

Yes - The spacies was a ripper when Wotto sold it to me - and I was planning on keeping it. In the end, the missus "won", and I got to use the proceeds for the sale to buy my Fathom project !

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 02:46:04 PM »
Hey Nino,

Nice to see a thread on this machine.

The decal for that playfield is just OK.
I was never totally happy with the colouring ( it looks a lot better in RL than under the flash of a camera I have to say )
The playfield is 100% better than what it was and that decaled area was back to the wood – so it is an improvement but the colours didn’t match  that well.

I LOVE the artwork on this playfield, so much so I was going to get one of the ‘heads’ as a tattoo once !

I will look to see if I have some shots of the playfield as it was originally and post them in this thread if that’s OK ?

That would be great if you added your work to this thread mate  *%*

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 06:25:40 PM »
Heres a few shots of the playfield as it was recieved.
She was mighty ugly.

It was great getting that mylar off and polishing / touching up this PF to achieve the end result compared to where it started. Again- GREAT art on this PF !!

It came without half the PF plastics and I ended up with 2 sets in the end, I also bought new bumpers, caps etc.

DW Drums rule !

Offline indazone gav

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2009, 06:38:17 PM »
Some quality work right there. Inspirational, thanks ^^^

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 05:05:41 PM »
Great stuff boys  ^^^
I still cant believe the detail to the artwork on SI it is awesome *%*

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 05:10:23 PM »
wow what  a difference!!! good work guys!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 08:23:20 PM »
Nino, I don't know if you're resto threads are motivating me or depressing me! I can't do much for the next few weeks due to the house move, so what I do know if they are frustrating me!

But keep 'em up anyway!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Ballywannabe

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2009, 12:07:57 AM »
Hey Nino, can't believe you did not rebuild the power supply - weren't you up to the challenge *)*

Seriously, it is unbelievable the lengths some people went to hack the old Bally and Stern power supplies !!!  Surprising thing is the machines are often still going, if somewhat unreliably.

cheers
Ian

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2009, 10:03:50 AM »
Hey Nino, can't believe you did not rebuild the power supply - weren't you up to the challenge *)*

Seriously, it is unbelievable the lengths some people went to hack the old Bally and Stern power supplies !!!  Surprising thing is the machines are often still going, if somewhat unreliably.

cheers
Ian

%.%

The thought crossed my mind.. But Spacies came out with a -49 power board. What was in THIS Spacies was a -18 board soldered to a "trimmed" -49 Board (just the VAROs). So it was not original, and it was a "dog's breakfast"  ^.^

I will rebuild the -18 board in time. I have a box of old ones so one day I'll immerse myself in rebuilding a few !