Author Topic: SHOULD PINBALL 2000 ever be redone again ?  (Read 729 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
SHOULD PINBALL 2000 ever be redone again ?
« on: July 23, 2010, 08:14:54 PM »
Should pinball 2000 ever be done again ?  !@#

If so, WHY. If not, why not ?  !@#

What do owners of Revenge from Mars and Star Wars Episode 1 think of their pins.

Has anyone bought n kept the Pinball 2000 models and kept them, always to be keepers, or did u flog them a few months after.?

What do u guys think about the past and future potential versions of Pinball 2000 ?  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: SHOULD PINBALL 2000 ever be redone again ?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 08:24:27 PM »
Do you mean a new game or re-runs of old (maybe even wizard blocks  !*! )?

one of the problems it takes more programing for a 3D screen than it does for a crappy old orange DMD

But yes, it would be interesting to see a new game 

() The NuCore guys have probably already done it anyway

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 08:38:55 PM »
Personally. I loved Revenge from Mars, and plan on buying both the Pin 2000 models, because in the evoloution of pinball, thats the most modern pinball ever got.

The latest offerings from STERN are not pushing the envelope like the last days of pinball in the days of pinball 2000 did.
The offerings of the last 2 years of pinball, back 10 yrs ago, had that many great action packed games from both WILLIAMS and SEGA.
Not to mention the Revenge from Mars and Star Wars Episode 1 models.

I wonder if people feel that the whole concept of Pinball 2000 should be done again, or if STERN shld only do conventional pinballs.

I would love to see a new pinball 2000 model. I would buy it 4 sure. Dramatically more bang for ya buck !
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:40:50 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 08:50:58 PM »
I really like Revenge from Mars and would hope one day to own one.

I think the Pin2K concept could be redone especially now that the replacement computer kits are available.

An awful lot of work but it certainly is possible. I doubt that anyone will do a production run though.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 11:08:23 PM »
I like RFM, but couldnt see it bein a keeper in my small collection. The Star wars one is real eye candy for a sci-fi nut, so I love the look of it. BUT it is  :tumble: before finishing your first game, just wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too easy/simple. But its a such a great looking PF that I would consider it a keeper.

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 11:22:59 PM »
I think it would be great if it did make a comeback but I'm sure there would be some licensing issues preventing Stern from using the Pinball2000 concept .

I am surprised that the idea never really took off when it was originally released . It should have been the thing that kicked Williams along and possibly seen them still around today but alas wasn't to be . As you said Brett is was "the next step" in pinball . Over the years pins have evolved from bagatelle type games , through the flipperless and flippered EM era , then the SS era , followed by the DMD era . Pinball2000 was the evolution of pinball to the next level .

I think it would be a good thing for pinball in general to see these type of games brought back . At the end of the day there are only so many themes Stern can come out with before they get a bit same-old . It would open up a whole new dimension in gameplay options and themes .

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 11:38:18 PM »
YEAH. bring on pinball 2k ^^^
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Hooked

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • USA
  • God-Family- Pins.
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 12:00:44 AM »
P2000 has the most draw to non -pinheads in my arcade.
Targets are big and everchanging ....simple to step up and play.

If another P2000 title would make it ot market I would consider purchasing a Nucore system and the PF.
I dont think I would use the limited floor space in my gameroom for another p2000 cab but would consider it if the game was "that good".

Any new pin is a good pin to me...bring them all on  #*#
Custom mods made from top quality materals.
http://Http://Hookedonpinball.com

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 12:39:12 AM »

I think technology has moved past the P2K format. Our friends at Nucore have done a marvellous job in retro fitting the hardware that was once unobtainable. So the two titles will probably be the only titles we will ever see.

Having said that - I would like to see the concept of P2K developed further, and I'm always hoping nucore will pick up where P2K left off .. .. ..
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 01:23:47 AM »
Unfortunately there are several patents that appear to have been kept up to date so the holographic projection into the playfield is off limits pretty much, and as the patent holder has never built much in the way of games, unlikely we'll see anything until the patents lapse unless someone with actual skill and ability to build games is prepared to pay for a licence.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Dirty daz

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 01:58:46 PM »
it's a no from me ! pinball 2000 is crap especialy starwars ep 1 boring game play is the pits not a keeper at all!!!  these are not ''players pinballs''
get a real pin 

Offline Chuck

• Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 02:08:07 PM »
Good discussion.

The good:

We have permission from all three patent holders to create a new pin2k game. *If* we decide to exercise that option we will enhance the core code (actually throw a lot of it away) in order to create a better pin2k (pin 2010 if you will.) We have lots of interest from many parties to help us.

The Bad:

As we all know all of the patent holders don't exactly get along very well and they have different agendas (not saying bad, good, or otherwise, just different.) Making a Wizard Blocks kit will be extremely challenging. Nucore was challenging enough to make the product work but all the legal issues doubled the work (just for the record that isn't the fault of any one party, well, you could actually blame WMS for giving separate companies the same patents but what's done is done.) We believe the cost my be past what people would be willing to pay for a completely new machine (WB.) Even at high costs I don't think the team would make much money (maybe none) doing it. I've already done my charity work with Nucore, no more freebies ;-)

What does this all mean?

I'm pretty sure we'll see a new pin2k game and I'm also sure it will be better than the last two. The first attempt might be to create a RFM II using the same playfield but creating a new set of rules. That's an option. And don't count out wizard blocks. Don and I spent the better part of two months discussing the project with a number of people and something *may* happen. Although I can't say for sure and I couldn't say how soon. Keep the faith! Enough people love the platform that something cool will happen with it. Don and I always have our poles in the water and occasionally we catch a big one ;-)

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 03:29:22 PM »
Well I would love to see the pin2k make a comeback. Pinball hasnt really evolved since wms closed doors. Hopefully some of the doors can be opened-up again  () I watched the Tilt doco last nite, and felt a bit sad afterwards lol

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 09:19:29 PM »
Good discussion.

as most are aware this subject is very close to our Hearts , Damien and I have had many chats with Chuck  both online and over a beer to too ....  teaching Chuck how to drink like a aussie ....

Pinball2000 would be dead without Chuck and Don , they have done the impossible already getting nucore  done and all for free , I am sure if anyone in pinball can get it off the ground they will  , good luck

Wizard block would be nice and to me was a better playing game than both rfm and SWep1
we have some great pictures and film of it working from our trips

of course any help we can be we will be there ,
cya soon too

mark

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 10:23:35 PM »
Excellent.

The last 3 or 4 posts were exactly the GREAT STUFF i was hoping for.

Always love to hear good positive stuff about anything pinball.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Love to see pinball moving up and onwards with technology advances.