Author Topic: Captain Fantastic [MELB]  (Read 1097 times)

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Captain Fantastic [MELB]
« on: August 08, 2010, 10:33:53 AM »
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 10:36:17 AM by ajlaird »

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Captain Fantastic [MELB]
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 10:44:07 AM »
Up to $3.5K... ive know a couple that have sold for $4K.
This one should fetch over $3K easy.. but you never know.. could well be a good buy at $2.5K

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:58:20 AM »
This one should fetch over $3K easy.. but you never know.. could well be a good buy at $2.5K
What drives the high price?  Playfield layout looks nothing special - is it the EJ/Tommy tie-in?
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 11:12:56 AM »
What drives the high price?  Playfield layout looks nothing special - is it the EJ/Tommy tie-in?

Backglass art is great
Last EM only Bally produced, I think also Bally's biggest production number (EM)

Maybe it was just good for it's day  !@#

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 11:41:08 AM »

there was one in bumper  last week ( upstairs)  , looks very much like this one

i could be wrong , but was as nice as this , very bright , heaps of colour

mark

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 11:49:17 AM »
Its Pinball...

To me this machine epitomises what pinball is about... game play isnt the best admittedly, but artwork is exceptional. Its a pretty simple layout, but has the essentials, 3 bumpers, drops, extra flippers etc.
Backglass is just unreal on this and general artwork was considered risky in its time.
Yes it also has the Tommy tie in, plus we all have the vision in our heads of Elton playing pinball ... crazy flipper fingers... this game IS pinball Wizard.. no doubting that.
We are at the end of EM era and Bally bring out one of the best looking pins ever... game is iconic.

For its general theme ( music related) its a cheap yet awesome looking pin... try picking up a Rolling Stones for $3K... youd be one luck boy!
Is RS a great player?? Nope... but its the Stones! And yes they are awesome too.

Captain Fantastic.... Even the title of this game is cool.... in essence.... this game IS PINBALL

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 11:50:54 AM »

mark

A few years back Bumper had Elton's  own PERSONAL Capt fantastic.. extra minty and signed.... at the time Bumper were asking $7.5K for it

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 12:33:16 PM »

Most of the Music themed pins hold their value, and this title is no exception. I would expect this machine to go between $2500 - $3200 tops. It is a great Bally game, but not up with the players like Fireball and Wizard.

There was a much better Captain Fantastic sold on eBay 2-3 months ago. This current eBay CP in nice, but there have been better..
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 10:42:07 PM »

mark

A few years back Bumper had Elton's  own PERSONAL Capt fantastic.. extra minty and signed.... at the time Bumper were asking $7.5K for it

wow wish i had  seen that one

Offline StuartT

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
The Elton's personal machine at Bumper was a home version NOT the arcade machine.

Offline oldpins

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 04:21:17 PM »
I was interested in this one however had to consider cost and risk of frieighting to Brisbane. Looked to be a tidy machine and one title I would like to own. It sold for just under $4K, bit steep for me. I would be keen on a project CF if one around.
Greg

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 08:56:12 AM »
Within a day or so the seller re-lists, already knowing that the zero bidder is not going ahead - how do people work these things out so quickly?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CAPT-FANTASTIC-Pinball-Machine-1976-FANTASTIC-Classic-/110574765387?pt=AU_CoinOp

Do these "zero/fake bidders" reply that they aren't the real deal, and sorry not proceeding?

What I don't get if that the zero bidder  " d***e (0) " put a bid in of $3,850.00 which was met with an auto-response (you can see the next bid was 14 minutes older) and then bids again, but was not outbid the last time. If you were messing with the auction, wouldn't you just bid a really high number just the once?

But its relisted with a Buy it Now $500 more than the under bidders - so in the meantime the seller has chosen to increase the price above what the market offers, and not offered it to the under bidders at "market" price?

That's the thing with these claims of someone messing with the auctions - why isn't the under bidder buying?? Especially when there's several all not far off the final price?
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline necroscope

• Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 09:21:09 AM »
Within a day or so the seller re-lists, already knowing that the zero bidder is not going ahead - how do people work these things out so quickly?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CAPT-FANTASTIC-Pinball-Machine-1976-FANTASTIC-Classic-/110574765387?pt=AU_CoinOp

Do these "zero/fake bidders" reply that they aren't the real deal, and sorry not proceeding?

What I don't get if that the zero bidder  " d***e (0) " put a bid in of $3,850.00 which was met with an auto-response (you can see the next bid was 14 minutes older) and then bids again, but was not outbid the last time. If you were messing with the auction, wouldn't you just bid a really high number just the once?

But its relisted with a Buy it Now $500 more than the under bidders - so in the meantime the seller has chosen to increase the price above what the market offers, and not offered it to the under bidders at "market" price?

That's the thing with these claims of someone messing with the auctions - why isn't the under bidder buying?? Especially when there's several all not far off the final price?

The seller probably had 30 odd  watchers on the listing,so he has probably got his mates to bid it up thinking he would get top dollar due to the intrest,maybe the underbidder was one of his mates as well,it would be interesting to know the percentage of genuine auctions compared to the amount of shilled auctions of pinballs every week on ebay.my guess would be 30% are genuine.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 11:38:15 AM »

The seller did a similar action on one of the KISS machines.

Clearly, all he had to do was provide the next highest bidder with a "Second Chance" - or was that another Zero "fake" bidder ? Either way, looks like he wants more than the market is prepared to pay. It is a nice game, but there have been better machines sell at a cheaper price.

EBay is tuning into a joke.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline necroscope

• Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 12:48:41 PM »

The seller did a similar action on one of the KISS machines.

EBay is tuning into a joke.
Your not wrong strangeways,i am sure there are a lot of people like us who have been watching the pinball market on ebay in the last few months and wondering how long ebay will allow this practice to continue,it does seem a very popular tactic with sellers in the last few months,and it stands out like a boil  on elle mcpherson's face.

Had a few spare minutes as it is raining outside and cant work so i emailed ebay and told them what a joke pinball auctions have turned into in the last few months,be interesting to see if i get a response.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 05:15:11 PM by necroscope »