Author Topic: Captain Fantastic [MELB]  (Read 1045 times)

Offline FirePower

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Re: Captain Fantastic [MELB]
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 01:21:39 PM »
<snip>
That's the thing with these claims of someone messing with the auctions - why isn't the under bidder buying?? Especially when there's several all not far off the final price?

If I were a genuine underbidder in this circumstance and the seller came to me with a second chance then I would tell him to get lost on principle, thinking he had manipulated the auction, or offer a substantially lower price.  I'd really want to want the machine before buying in this way.

Offline oldpins

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 04:01:29 PM »
I was surprised to see the final bid price so high. !@#
Early in the auction I asked the seller for information on the whether the serial numbers on the cabinet matched the back box. (It was mentioned in the description that the machine was built from 2 machines). I was told the serial numbers did not match. Photos I requested showed that inside the BB looked tidy, however the inside of the cabinet looked to be untouched & required a good cleanup.(Thought the machine internally would have had more attention)
Hopefully another will come up outside ebay in the future.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 07:03:04 PM »
It's Back !

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Capt-Fantastic-Pinball-Machine-FANTASTIC-Condition-/110588587218?pt=AU_CoinOp&hash=item19bf97ecd2

Same with one of his KISS machines. Won't be at all surprised to see it back for a third time in a couple of months.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 07:46:50 PM »
He does have glowing feedback.

Wonder if they are friends - or there are people out there with lots of disposable income?
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 09:07:41 PM »
He does have glowing feedback.

Wonder if they are friends - or there are people out there with lots of disposable income?

There are PLENTY of people with disposable income and some are well versed with eBay and overpriced pins. Having said that (almost to the point of contradiction), there are FUSSY collectors that will wait for the right machine to come along before emptying their wallets - and they are willing to pay high prices. I know a collector that was interested in the KISS, but the legbolts were not new and not the original Bally bolts. They were gottliebs. The front door was highly polished. Again - not original. The stencil work was "too perfect" - No overspray = not original. Things that SHOULD have been replaced (from original), were things like the connectors and C23 on the Solenoid Driver board. Yes - All VERY fussy - But if you are making comments like "the best (insert name here) pinball I've ever seen" - then it is VERY obvious that the seller has not seen many professional restores.  Now if you want to take $10,000 out of a fussy collector's pocket, then you spend the extra $10 to make the machine as genuinely original as possible.

I appreciate the level of detail that the seller has gone to - his machines are VERY nice, but I know a couple of SERIOUS Collectors that were willing to pay the money "if" the machine was faithfully restored. When you sprout comments that the game is "the best I've ever seen", then you really need to look outside a bit more.

Whether the auctions are compromised ? - Who knows.. seems commonplace these days  ^.^

I wish the seller the best of luck with his auctions - Glad to see people go to the effort. Just stops a couple of stubbies short of a slab in my book.

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 10:40:06 PM »
Valid points (as always Nino  <.> )

Yes - YOU are prepared to go the extra yards - anyone who reads your resto threads knows that!

The leg bolts etc are things that would bother YOU until the day you die.  %.%

This people buying these things either are not "Smithsonian" type collectors? (i.e the cab paint / other "non-original" bits  does not show on the radar) Ergo as long as it looks shiny - it must be good!

OR - the auction and the feedback system has been "compromised"... <Homepin will be here shortly...>

My point remains that these dudes seem to be happy with this guys work (and the price commanded).

So either they don't REALLY know what they are buying - or it's just a big love in...

Ebay seems to be going to the dogs pretty quickly!
Why is it called PMS?

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 11:40:22 PM »
Valid points (as always Nino  <.> )

Yes - YOU are prepared to go the extra yards - anyone who reads your resto threads knows that!

The leg bolts etc are things that would bother YOU until the day you die.  %.%

This people buying these things either are not "Smithsonian" type collectors? (i.e the cab paint / other "non-original" bits  does not show on the radar) Ergo as long as it looks shiny - it must be good!

OR - the auction and the feedback system has been "compromised"... <Homepin will be here shortly...>

My point remains that these dudes seem to be happy with this guys work (and the price commanded).

So either they don't REALLY know what they are buying - or it's just a big love in...

Ebay seems to be going to the dogs pretty quickly!

The leg bolts are uniquely Bally. They are no longer available - BUT - You can always have the old ones cleaned and re treated. I've been collecting these for my future KISS, Playboy, Fathom etc etc restores. Some collectors I know will look to see if the lanes guides are white and have the "Bally" logo on them. Drop targets MUST be tombstone style. Some guys I know simply "want" a classic - and don't care about the cosmetics - BUT - it has to be electronically bulletproof. Just to "have" a KISS, Captain Fantastic, Wizard etc etc in the gamesroom is enough.

Not just "some" Bally guys that are fussy. I've seen some wierd stuff !!

Personally - Front doors REALLY ANNOY ME. They were GRAINED from factory, not polished. Same with siderails. They should not be buffed or polished. But - each to their own !

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 04:43:29 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110562270080

Was the KISS sold JUL-2010.  Note the purchaser.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/KISS-ORIGINAL-VINTAGE-PINBALL-MACHINE-rare-gene-paul-/150492811700?pt=AU_CoinOp&hash=item230a1211b4

Looks like its up for sale already.  Don't know if it is the same machine.  I cannot tell by the photos, but the ad states they've owned it for more than 15 years.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 04:50:29 PM »
LOL-- SHERLOCK!!!

Original listing shows small mark on bottom RHS of backglass..

This listing states small mark on corner of backglass.....

... get a picture of this mark and you have your answer

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2010, 05:08:26 PM »
LOL-- SHERLOCK!!!

Original listing shows small mark on bottom RHS of backglass..

This listing states small mark on corner of backglass.....

... get a picture of this mark and you have your answer

It may be a different machine...Looking at the photos there are a few small differences (ie scratch on the white painted bolt above the coin door).  It me just be they bought a better machine from the seller in Melb?

Online pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2010, 06:12:19 PM »

Doing a LOT of harm to his reputation by constantly relisting the same machines ;

"My last auction had over 200 watchers and a large number of Bids" - So if that was the case - Why re list ? (could be the KISS or the Evel Knievel - or maybe this very machine perhaps?)

"second highest selling machine of ALL TIME"!!@

Eight Ball - 20,230
KISS - 17,000
Addams - 20,270
Star Trek - 16,842

Captain Fantasic = 16,155

Seller states he is "$100 less than Dealers" - But they are "like hen's teeth to find" - So how does he know a dealer's price ?

!@#

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2010, 07:27:44 PM »

"second highest selling machine of ALL TIME"!!@

Correct me if I am wrong, but it was the biggest selling EM?

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2010, 11:56:08 PM »
You guys have taught me well...  &&

I am now wary of the words "collectors" "mint" "like new" when they appear in an eBay auction.

Guess I can add "fantastic" to that list!  ^^^
Why is it called PMS?