Author Topic: Restoration of a Data East TOMMY  (Read 1215 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Restoration of a Data East TOMMY
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 08:22:30 PM »
Fast forward about 35 hours of work.  I won't upload all the inbetween shots, but its all done.

Everything went back together perfectly.  I picked up a full playfield set of plastics and replaced the broken ones (about 2 in total) so have a few spares now..

Game play is excellent and a very unique and interesting game.  I must say the 'EM' style display for score and the 'EM' sounds makes it even better.  I had a game last night and the blinders game in...Very cool indeed.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 08:23:53 PM »
More..

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 08:25:49 PM »
That came up really nice Marty the em style scoring sound interesting

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 08:26:25 PM »
More...

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 10:24:11 AM »
Very nice mate  ^^^
Any reason why you chose black rubbers? I would have pictured white rubber brightening up the lower half of the playfield

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 02:23:44 PM »
Very nice mate  ^^^
Any reason why you chose black rubbers? I would have pictured white rubber brightening up the lower half of the playfield

I hear ya mate re the rubber colour. Normally it's white all the way. I put whites in originally and it did not fit the other colours well at all.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 03:51:39 PM by MartyJ »

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 02:57:02 PM »
Fair enough  *%*

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 12:20:18 AM »
Marty, great pick up. Definately in good condition.  ^^^ At the start of the restore you said u werent going to restore it for a while but you sure nailed this one quick. Looks T-Riffic now.

I like the large plane coming into the back of the playfield, that looks way cool. The large Union Jack on the playfield also makes the playfield too.  ^^^ Also, the mirrored image of the person facing the mirror was a smart idea/clever art !

Marty, what are the "Blinders" u have mentioned a few times ? ?  !@# How/or what are they and how do they work ?  !@#

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 12:23:23 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 09:28:26 AM »
Marty, great pick up. Definately in good condition.  ^^^ At the start of the restore you said u werent going to restore it for a while but you sure nailed this one quick. Looks T-Riffic now.

I like the large plane coming into the back of the playfield, that looks way cool. The large Union Jack on the playfield also makes the playfield too.  ^^^ Also, the mirrored image of the person facing the mirror was a smart idea/clever art !

Marty, what are the "Blinders" u have mentioned a few times ? ?  !@# How/or what are they and how do they work ?  !@#

Brett,

Thanks for the kind comments.  Yes TOMMY was going to be a bit of a long term one, but I picked up a very very very nice Taxi which I've been chasing now for a long time - to add to my Sys11 collection.  I had a to speed up TOMMY to make some room and I had my lovely wife help with the cleaning.

See the pic below for the blinders.  On many TOMMY's they are removed or broken.  Thankfully this one was in perfect shape.  There is a servo under the apron and the 'blinders' retract back into the apron.  In certain modes, the blinders activate to simulate the player playing blind - the same as Tommy himself.

Its a very unique and challenging game with some nice features.

Offline bwodie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 12:24:21 PM »
I have never seen what the blinders actually looked like, so thanks alot for that!
Looks like a very nice example mate, nice work