Author Topic: The stuff that gets chucked out  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Douggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
The stuff that gets chucked out
« on: August 17, 2010, 09:43:47 PM »
In the late 70's, early 80's I worked for a Chrysler/Valiant/Dodge dealership in Melbourne, one of the major opposition parts dealers was a crowd in Stubbs St Kensington (Vic) called Lapco. Anyway I had to go there regually to pickup parts etc and remember an old run down wharehouse next door which was filled with hundereds of pinballs, I have no idea what games but do know (only from reading here) that lots were "wood rails" type machines. I remember asking a bloke there about them and he said they were all going to the tip (of course nobody cared much then).....how many must of been scrapped around the world?

Non related, but for the car nuts...I was still at Chrysler when the Mitsubishi changeover came, the dealer I was with was a "Direct Connection" agent (Mopar/Chryslers equivalent of say HSV or Tickford) and we had crates of hot up bits, hemi parts, tri-power carb setups etc....all this went to the tip, it was not allowed to be sold.

A few years later I did some work for a major Australian brake and clutch company, they had several fully registered brand new left hand drive Corvettes that were bought into the country for evaluation (they supplied Chevrolet with brake parts/technology), when the programme was finished all these cars HAD to be crushed with a goverment supervisor present as they had been brought into Aus under some special tax free scheme and had special left hand drive dispensation)

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
Re: The stuff that gets chucked out
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 09:51:18 PM »
I often wonder about the amount of food that gets thrown away by multi-national companies.
WTB (or possibly trade) - 1980 Stern ALI

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 09:55:14 PM »

Many "horror stories" like that one. System One machines were unrepairable during their route days and were often used as landfill. Back in those days, if they could not be operated or scrapped for parts - they were thrown out.

They were deemed "gambling devices" in some parts of the USA, and they were rounded up and destroyed.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 10:16:39 PM »
I went into an operators warehouse years ago here, and bought what I wanted, and made a list of what was left. I took the list of stuff home after paying for my games (about 12) with the plan to pick them up the next week when I had a big truck, and talked to a friend who asked me to grab a Stern Big Game for him. I called the op right back, and he told me it was 'no longer available' - turns out, he had tossed it in a dumpster when I showed no interest.

I explained to him that I'd buy anything for *some* price, but would only pay good prices for the stuff I really wanted. A couple months later, he called me, saying his lease was up the following Monday, and I got his remaining pinballs and a used truck with a liftgate for next to nothing...

I often think of that Big Game. Wish I could've saved it.

I another friend a Flash Gordon and a Pinball Pool for $125 each in that lot.

Offline Douggie

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 10:31:12 PM »
I often wonder about the amount of food that gets thrown away by multi-national companies.

....my daughter used to work for a small independant supermarket, all the unsold produce was either given to pensioners, a local pig farm and we used to get lettuce etc for the chooks.
A big multi moved in who's policy was not only to chuck everything out, but it went into a giant locked secured bin. Any staff caught taking anything were sacked.  At one stage she told me they were binning upto 50 roast chooks a day.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 09:21:32 PM »
I went into an operators warehouse years ago here, and bought what I wanted, and made a list of what was left. I took the list of stuff home after paying for my games (about 12) with the plan to pick them up the next week when I had a big truck, and talked to a friend who asked me to grab a Stern Big Game for him. I called the op right back, and he told me it was 'no longer available' - turns out, he had tossed it in a dumpster when I showed no interest.

I explained to him that I'd buy anything for *some* price, but would only pay good prices for the stuff I really wanted. A couple months later, he called me, saying his lease was up the following Monday, and I got his remaining pinballs and a used truck with a liftgate for next to nothing...

I often think of that Big Game. Wish I could've saved it.

I another friend a Flash Gordon and a Pinball Pool for $125 each in that lot.

Sweet deal John, pity you couldn't get the rest

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 10:14:48 PM »
A big multi moved in who's policy was not only to chuck everything out, but it went into a giant locked secured bin. Any staff caught taking anything were sacked.  At one stage she told me they were binning upto 50 roast chooks a day.

Well that would be the only sensible thing to do, has your daughter never heard of OHS?  %$%

Offline Douggie

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 10:44:42 PM »

Well that would be the only sensible thing to do, has your daughter never heard of OHS?  %$%

I disagree....the sensible thing to do is not to cook what cannot be sold, as for out of date products...no problem for animal food etc

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 10:56:51 PM »
 My dads uncle owns a large scrap metal yard here in feeling I remember dad telling me about fords crushing brand new corvettes.   He watched them crush 3 stabbed all tyresvand broke all the badges before crushing them how sad.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 12:11:25 AM »
I put an alarm system into a large warehouse that Sydneys largest Mercedes Benz dealership owns.
In this warehouse, they store "last years" unsold, superceeded "super cars". Anything, that was worth over 200 grand that didnt sell.
There were Mercedes, Ferrari, Lambo's and so on. It doesnt look good for the dealer to have "unsold" last years models on the floor when u are trying to flog this years new model.

Some of the most beautiful cars were cut in half, had major parts missing off them everywhere. Perfectly, brand new, never driven super cars just picked to death for any and every part. Some had been surgically cut into different pieces, like in half etc.

When i enquired how cars with no kilometres were cut in half etc etc, the fellow told me that Insurance Companies negotiate and buy the parts, or half bodies etc to fix up rich peoples "smashed super toys". Since, full replacements werent available, and the insurance co didnt want to write off a $200 grand car, they would go to the "spare parts/bodies yard.
That way, the dealer still gets some money for the vehicles and the insurance companies save money. The fellow told me, companies like Mercedes, or Ferrari etc, would not allow the cars to be sold "whole" under any circumstance as it would ruin the 2nd hand valuation of the various models if the unused models were flogged off cheap. After 5 years, anything in the warehouse went off to a crusher. What a waste !
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 08:37:22 AM »
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:42:13 AM by braddo »

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 08:43:03 AM »
A big multi moved in who's policy was not only to chuck everything out, but it went into a giant locked secured bin. Any staff caught taking anything were sacked.  At one stage she told me they were binning upto 50 roast chooks a day.

Well that would be the only sensible thing to do, has your daughter never heard of OHS?  %$%

I disagree....the sensible thing to do is not to cook what cannot be sold, as for out of date products...no problem for animal food etc

Sorry Douggie if you took my comment the wrong way, but I was taking the piss. I personally think OHS if a crock of bullshit (in most cases) designed to keep pen pushers in a job (in most cases).

I also agree with you 100%.

Offline Douggie

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 09:08:10 AM »
My dads uncle owns a large scrap metal yard here in feeling I remember dad telling me about fords crushing brand new corvettes.   He watched them crush 3 stabbed all tyresvand broke all the badges before crushing them how sad.
I saw a thing on tv last night "Time Traveller" or something where nerdy types dig up English gardens looking for bits of old roman roads etc........maybe a bunch of us here could get together with shovels at the Footscray tip and find hundereds of buried old pinnys!

Offline Douggie

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 09:10:52 AM »
A big multi moved in who's policy was not only to chuck everything out, but it went into a giant locked secured bin. Any staff caught taking anything were sacked.  At one stage she told me they were binning upto 50 roast chooks a day.

Well that would be the only sensible thing to do, has your daughter never heard of OHS?  %$%

Sorry Douggie if you took my comment the wrong way, but I was taking the piss. I personally think OHS if a crock of bullshit (in most cases) designed to keep pen pushers in a job (in most cases).

I also agree with you 100%.

No probs mate, I also hate OHS !
I recently had to do some work on container ship at the docks (about 10 mins work) but before I could board it had to do a OHS and Orientation course that took 2 hours

Offline bossninja17

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 10:05:02 PM »
Geez, I enjoyed reading this topic.
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.