Author Topic: Do you blokes all have rusty cars?  (Read 416 times)

Offline Douggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Do you blokes all have rusty cars?
« on: August 24, 2010, 09:40:26 PM »
Looking through some of the fantastic games room pictures on this site, it appears that many have them setup in the garage. Im wondering do most pinny fanatics
A: Have 2 garages
B: Keep the car outside
C: Have no car and ride pushys

even though new to all this the bug has really hit hard, Im lucky enough to have a nice modern lined shed, approx 80 foot by 30 foot but at the moment its full of hobby cars, motorbikes and vintage dirt bike projects. As I get older Im finding doing up this stuff harder and harder to do on my own (yanking out engines, lying under dashboards etc etc) and the cost these days of even the most basic project car or bike is huge. Multiple registration costs are becoming a problem too...Also its a pretty solitary hobby, family are not interested in all my "junk" but we have spent hours playing pinball together.  I can see a big purge happening soon to make space for some machines.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: Do you blokes all have rusty cars?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 09:49:33 PM »
Thats the beauty about pinball, just about every one enjoys playing them.
good luck with it all
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 10:02:15 PM »

Cars are waterproof. Pinballs are not.

My car stays outside, the wife's "just" fits. The areas surrounding my wife's car are full of pinballs, video games (at the moment) and parts.

I'm looking at moving to a house that has a basement that can hold 30 - 40 pins all setup and playable. That's "the dream" anyway.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 10:52:03 PM »
I want to get my car back into the garage, so in an act of madness, i have devised a plan where i will be able to do just that, and still have 9 or 10 pins in there set up to play  *%*
Since i only live in a rented 2 bedroom unit, the aforementioned plan is being put into action (really i could move out and find a larger place at any time, finances permitting) But until that time comes, I've given up my music/practice room, and im turning that into a pinny room.. all my guitar amps i dont use, and recording studio gear has been packed up and will go into storage. i can fit 4 pins in there, (i have 3 in there at this time.. two set up to play and Quickdraw which im currently restoring), and 4 set up in my lounge room! Two of my games are in Port Macquarie, which i want to bring back at some stage soon too.

Am i crazy for doing this you may ask?? Maybe i am    :D :lol
well to answer the question.. no my car isnt rusty, and this plan is to make sure of that *%*

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 11:06:37 PM »
My wifes car is in the garage along with some of my arcade games and pins, my car sits on the driveway, however upon completion on my shed I should be able to fit both cars back in the garage, at least that's what I've told the good wife  *%*
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 11:10:21 PM »
That's why I haven't looked at my "projects" (translation: POS) for months...

Too busy cleaning the crud off the cars every weekend...  !!!
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 11:20:57 PM »
I actually looked around and chose a house i could fit 30 pinballs into. The cars are outside. The double garage holds apx 15 machines.

Since pinnys go up in value, it was cars out, pinnies in, and rather than buying a awesome fun toy car (like a nice benz etc) I put the 70 grand into pinnies.

I reckon they will go up in value where the car will go down in value. But i still think about buying a nice Benz, but i have to work out in the next few months do i buy more machines, or put my money into something else ?  still deciding ?  but definately cars outside. What about a car cover for a Benz.lol  ^^^

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 12:00:54 AM »
cavey,imho,pins do not go up in value in the short term,but cars come down.pins will eventually go up in nprice if there is a demand for  that title.i would love that benz also.but i am hooked on pins.70k benz vs 70k pins,only 10 years will tell....
my bet would be the pins will win hands down..unless we have cheap euro trash driving prices down,which is happening now. &^&
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 04:15:38 AM »
Its funny you know, u get attached to things. I have grown attached to all the pins I have bought n played. Selling them just seems impossible to do.

Common sense tells me sell half of the pins, and put the money into a really nice car, like a benz cause they drive so nice, and look great, not to mention safety etc etc, but do u think my brain will let me sell any, noooppp, the kid in me says just keep all the pinballs.

I think alot of us question the maths sometimes when we all fork out a good size of money on pinball machines, but we all have that little devil sitting on our shoulder saying "go on, just buy it".

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 08:27:48 AM »
Our cars live outside.   The original plan with the shed rebuild was to fit all my games and my monaro but that never happened and probably never will

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 08:44:14 AM »
When we decided to move a few years ago we actually looked for a house that had four car garaging and a games room, or allowed for an extension to achieve that. Took two years, but scored the lot in one house. So the daily drives and the Clubman are garaged, as well as a fair bit of workshop and pin storage in there too. And the completed/running games in the games room. Pretty lucky especially when I remember the tiny old leaky garage I used to work from in the old house.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 10:25:07 AM »
We have a double + a single garage, so the deal is I have half the double garage for my arcade and the wife's car gets the other half  #@#
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 04:35:41 PM »
I tend not to treat my pins as an investment, if they increase in value since I brought them well that's just good luck, I brought them for the enjoyment value which is just priceless!!!
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline Douggie

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 05:13:05 PM »
I tend not to treat my pins as an investment, if they increase in value since I brought them well that's just good luck, I brought them for the enjoyment value which is just priceless!!!

Thats a great way to look at a hobby....Ive always done that with my bikes and cars, sometimes Ive been lucky and had a win when selling (If I dont count my time) but most times I'd rather forget how much Ive lost on each but remember the (mostly) fun Ive had with them.

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 11:55:41 PM »
My garage is my workshop.

Even have TV in it :)

2 upgrades that are coming soon, when finances permit: better insulation and air conditioning with heat pump, and running water :)

A/C and heat are coming first. Running water would be nice, but is not a must - I can continue to use our 'spare' bathroom to wash parts :)