Author Topic: Sunday Pinball Questionaire - part 5 - Ballywannabe  (Read 4770 times)

Offline Ballywannabe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
Re: Sunday Pinball Questionaire - part 5 - Ballywannabe
« on: January 04, 2009, 06:32:21 PM »
OK - here goes nothing!!

First some background - I am 45 years young and from Perth, WA.  In my youth I played way too much pinball.  I can remember catching the bus into Perth pretty much just to play for a couple of hours.  Strombeckers (sp.?) and Crystal Palace were some of the names I remember.  Imagine when I went to Uni and they had a row of around 6 machines.  In the 4 years I was there machines I can remember were Black Knight, Black Hole, Haunted House, Rocky, Big Game, Quicksilver, Galaxy, Stargazer and Nine Ball.  These machines cost me some grades, I can tell you &&

1. Earliest pinball memory?

My memory is appalling - would probably be some Gottlieb wedgehead at a fish and chip shop somewhere.  First pin I remember would be a Bally 8-Ball, the first electronic game I ever saw.

2. All time favourite pin? Why?

Hmmm, probably Stargazer, or Quicksliver, or on another day Nine Ball.  While I enjoy playing DMD's they have never had the same appeal as the machines I grew up with.  I like a machine with good flow and those three have it in spades.

3. Favourite pinball manufacture?

Should be obvious - Classic Stern ^^^  Look at the run they had through the 80's - Meteor Galaxy Ali Big Game Seawitch Cheetah Quicksilver Star Gazer Flight 2000 Nine Ball.  If any manufacturer has had a better 12 months I would be surprised  $%$  These games were built using cheap components, and largely copying Bally electronics, but they are a blast to play.  Meteor was the first machine to use the MPU 200 and the SB 300 which took Sterns games to a new level.  If you have never played any of these games, as Molly would say "do yourself a favour".

4. Favourite game in your collection? Why?

See 2 above! 

5. How long have you been collecting?

Purchased my first game, Paragon, off Mark Bartalesi on Australia Day 2002, so I am coming up to 6 years.

6. First game and how did you find it?

See above!  I had been looking in the papers for a while and saw the Paragon advertised for $1400 with a 2 month warranty. Talked him down to $1300 and loaded her up.  Had a few issues in the 2 months that Mark attended to promptly.  We became friends, which is probably just as well, as he would be one of the best pinball techs over here in the West.

7. Do you still have it?

Of course!  Had the playfield touched up by the famous Leanne and clearcoated.  New bumper caps and she looks and plays fantastic.  Will never leave my collection - might get buried in it !!!

8. What are you currently working on?

My shed is full of projects, but it is too hot this time of year to be doing much.  I have an Orbitor1 that is nearly complete, two Hot Hands that need a huge amount of work and and Elektra that is close to done.  These will all be sold.  I have a Flight 2000 and Star Trek that are playing well but require a heap of cosmetic work at some stage.  I also have Mark's Black Hole that we have to put together at some stage (so far this has been put off for nearly 2 years...).

9. Most wanted game to add to your collection?

Nothing - I have all the games I set out to collect, so now I pretty much buy, fix and sell.  Might buy a DMD at some stage, maybe a NGG??

10. Best all time bargain game added to your collection?

FK2000 only cost me $260.  Complete minus its apron and lockdown bar, and only needed a PIA to get it fired up.  Got a CPR plastic set and will hopefully one day get the CPR playfield if/when it gets done.

I still consider Stargazer as my best buy however.  Wanted one for my collection and there were only 800 made, so I was pleased when one turned up in the paper.  Payed $1000.  Small wear spot around the EB insert and the bottom 10cm of the backglass is poor, but complete and working.

11. Worst ever miss – tell us about the one that got away!

Nothing really - could have got a Space Shuttle (at auction) for $800 that played great but had the usual worn playfield.  Was not paying attention at the time and missed out.

12. Worst ever purchase – tell us about the game you wished you never bought

Nothing so far I am pleased to say.  Have had some purchases that I have later sold at 'break even' after I have fixed them up, but that is OK.

13. Describe your collection

Stern Central :D  Meteor (fully restored, converted to 7 digits), Quicksilver, Stargazer, Cheetah, Nine Ball (playfield touched up and cleared), Flight 2000 and Seawitch.  Also some classic Ballys - Centaur (fully restored) Paragon and Star Trek.  One Williams - Space Shuttle (playfield repainted and cleared).

14. Describe your gamesroom

I am lucky enough to have an 'understory' area that fits 9 machines at the moment.  I could get more in but I have to share with my 2 sons TV/playstation area and a drum kit.  Renovations are planned for this year, so I am hoping for improvement in this area!!

15. Do you have other games other than pinball?

Are there other games than pinball *.*

16. Where can you see the hobby in 10 years?

Good question - I suspect we might be in a 'golden age' for restoration.  With Wayne, IPB, CPR, PBR and others making a wide range of parts for a very limited market, it is difficult to see how there can be sufficient demand in the longer term for this level of supply of parts.  Hard to see Stern surviving for a great deal longer.  Pins on location just cannot make the $$ compared to video/ticket games.  I think the home use market, while having ups and downs, will continue to grow in Australia.  At the moment machines from all over the world are being bought here, and there are enough enthusiasts to keep them running and providing entertainment.  I am sure boards such as APF and RPG will keep the knowledge, passion and interest alive for some time to come #*# #*# #*# #*# #*#