Author Topic: Classic Stern, 2nd generation  (Read 376 times)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Classic Stern, 2nd generation
« on: August 28, 2010, 05:58:27 PM »
Classic Stern, 2nd generation

Going though M. Shalhoub’s books I see that Stern seemed to like to try a lot of new ideas for their second generation solid state games
Plus the artwork was awesome

I remember playing Catacomb back at the local bowling alley
I also remember playing Orbit 1 at a few places

But I cannot remember seeing any other Stern games from that time

Did any other Stern models make it to Australia back then?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Classic Stern, 2nd generation
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 06:49:58 PM »

Not many games made it to Australia. Locally, Leisure and Allied produced Galaxy and Meteor under license from Stern. They also had the Cosmic Princess as a "kit" - but it was built here. They were highly successful games.

Big Game was an excellent title, and this was the last of the machines that I remember that was commonly found on route.

I had never seen Flight 2000, Freefall, Split Second, Lightning, Viper, Iron Maiden or Catacomb on site. Ironically, these are VERY sought after titles thesedays. As a collector, I've been lucky enough to track down Flight 2000 and Freefall and I'd like to add Split Second and Iron Maiden to my Collection. I only know of One Split Second in Australia.

I think you were lucky to see a Catacomb on site, Pete, but I'd say that would be the only game after Big Game that I ever saw AFTER the route days were over.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 07:01:31 PM »
I do seem to recall seeing an Iron Maiden here in Australia. Probably a container pin?

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 07:33:45 PM »
This is a pity
I remember a few years ago chatting to some US pinheads
They raved over Nine Ball

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 08:25:29 PM »
And then we face the other problem about the past

Dead brain cells  *!@

I do remember playing something green and junglely
But I don’t remember if it was ‘Big Game’ or ‘Cheetah’  @.@

Offline Ballywannabe

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 09:29:08 PM »
For some reason a lot of classic Sterns made it over to Perth, particularly 200MPU machines - maybe it was a L&A thing.  Back in the day I played Meteor, Ali , Galaxy, Big Game, Seawitch, Nine Ball, Quicksilver, Cheetah, Catacomb, Stargazer, Viper and Catacomb. 

I like the way they play, fast, good flow and a good use of drop targets and spinners in most cases and the sounds are good for that era of games.  I now own Seawitch, Meteor, Nine Ball, Quicksilver, Cheetah, Flight 2000 and Stargazer.  I have turned over several Meteors, two Galaxys, another Cheetah, Big Game, Catacomb and Orbitor 1.

cheers
Ian

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 10:12:24 PM »
For some reason a lot of classic Sterns made it over to Perth, particularly 200MPU machines - maybe it was a L&A thing.  Back in the day I played   I now own Seawitch, Meteor, Nine Ball, Quicksilver, Cheetah, Flight 2000 and Stargazer. 
cheers
Ian
* Pop Bumper Pete books flight to Perth

I think I remember seeing pics of your gamesroom
Different to see a lineup of classic Sterns

Offline Ballywannabe

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 10:38:27 PM »

[/quote]
* Pop Bumper Pete books flight to Perth

I think I remember seeing pics of your gamesroom
Different to see a lineup of classic Sterns
[/quote]

If you are ever over here, let me know and you can visit Stern central :D

Offline multiball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 12:48:17 AM »
I played many of the early Sterns in Melbourne.

Sterns were great to play. To me they seemed smoother, cleaner and more forgiving.
The drop target reset seqeunce on Trident and Cosmic Princess was cool.

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 12:13:01 PM »
I have 2 Sterns and they are by far the smoothest, fastest and most flowing pins I've played. I own a Flash and the flow cannot compare to the Sterns.

I remember Big Game, Meteor and Ali. Never liked them so much back then (hey I was only a kid) but I now realize how playable these games are. I would add another one if I had room and if they were available.
WTB (or possibly trade) - 1980 Stern ALI

Offline chris288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 07:43:40 PM »
The sited games I remember well were Catacomb, Meteor, Melody Lane, Cosmic Princess, Stars, Magic, Flight 2000, Freefall,Big Game and Cheetah.

Never saw an Ali or Iron Maiden, but remember there were heaps of Meteors.

I regularly played Flight 2000 , Big Game, Meteor and Freefall.

There was a Deli across the road from the Mount Lawley TAFE College that had a Freefall and that used to get a regular hammering from us . Its a game on my wish list but sadly they are very rare. Wish I had got the one that went for $500 about 2 years ago.

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 04:42:30 PM »
So how can you tell if L&A made the machine? There's a type of plate on the back of the headbox right? Mine doesn't have these. Can they be removed??

Not many people played Ali. I remember it well it was at a take-away around the corner. How did it make it to a small suburb of Wollongong of all places, we were so behind here, the first Williams I ever saw was Gorgar in 1986/7 for f**k sake %.%, and I thought it was brand new/modern  compared to what I was playing ::)

Ali is on my 'from my youth' list, but where will I find one?? I remember I could pick a Stern from the ball return wire (being one piece and curved) which always looked cheap and weak to me as a kid, but now I know it was designed that way for a reason. Speed.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 04:45:02 PM by braddo »

Offline Ballywannabe

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 06:33:01 PM »
Plate on the back of the body like attached picture (yes that is a 'Witch).  Also all screws have a dob of red paint on then under the playfield.  Finally the service outlet is an Aussie plug type #*#.

Apparently there are a few Ali's floating around over here (Perth) but I am yet to see one since I have been a collector.

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 06:51:42 PM »
Cheers Ian. Of course the service plug, how did I miss that my Galaxy has one !@) Never knew the reasons for the red paint though and I'm missing the badge on the back. My Seawitch must not be L&A, but what a game.

Shame the're isn't more Sterns around to try out, I was close to getting a Quicksilver for my first pin instead of a Gorgar but it was sold. (Never played Quicksilver either, but looks cool), and Pinball Shed had an Ali last year but I was too late, also an Ali on Ebay last year but I had no cash at the time. Classic Stern deserves it's own thread.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 08:56:27 PM »
Cheers Ian. Of course the service plug, how did I miss that my Galaxy has one !@) Never knew the reasons for the red paint though and I'm missing the badge on the back. My Seawitch must not be L&A, but what a game.

Shame the're isn't more Sterns around to try out, I was close to getting a Quicksilver for my first pin instead of a Gorgar but it was sold. (Never played Quicksilver either, but looks cool), and Pinball Shed had an Ali last year but I was too late, also an Ali on Ebay last year but I had no cash at the time. Classic Stern deserves it's own thread.

Stern machines were as reliable as Ballys - considering they were basically the same hardware. It was only the poor sounds on the Sterns post chimes that let them down. Bally has better sounds. Meteor and Galaxy were faster than any Ballys. I'm looking forward to restoring my Flight 2000 and Freefall.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia