Author Topic: Remove Your Balls  (Read 464 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Remove Your Balls
« on: April 26, 2011, 11:58:30 AM »
I fixed a multi ball issue with a TZ last week for a fellow who bought a game from Greg (unbelievable restoration, the thing looks factory fresh).

The game played perfectly when we tried it at Greg's place, but when the new owner got it home he found that once multi ball commenced, the machine would not return any balls that entered the under playfield area (and would normally be returned from the slot machine).

Greg's place to Ocean Grove was a two hour drive. When I got down there last weekend, I took off the apron as I was convinced it must be a faulty trough switch. Solved the issue in a minute -  slightly bent first switch trigger wire. It was pressing against the ball serve arm, and staying down. Checking it from below to trigger (as I had had him do over the phone) it had shown it working, but that was masking the issue as it was not what the ball was really doing.

When I though about it, I decided that the issue was that the wire had bent, I suspect from the ball in that spot jiggling in a non-normal way up and down on that switch for the 2 hour drive.

Lesson learned - balls out for transport.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Greg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
Re: Remove Your Balls
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 01:21:28 PM »
I fixed a multi ball issue with a TZ last week for a fellow who bought a game from Greg (unbelievable restoration, the thing looks factory fresh).

Lesson learned - balls out for transport.

thanks Nick that was actually the 2nd TZ restoration that I had completed
I thought it came up well considering how it arrived from France
http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 09:19:43 AM »

Great tip, Nick. Although I suspect it would be rather uncomfortable having the "balls out" for a prolonged period - just watch the bumps  %.%
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 10:09:09 PM »
My balls get rusty and it's not from under use  %.%

Living in the rainforest I only have to leave something overnight and it either rusts or gets mould on it - it really is an uphill battle..…..
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 12:46:41 PM »
My balls get rusty and it's not from under use  %.%

Living in the rainforest I only have to leave something overnight and it either rusts or gets mould on it - it really is an uphill battle..…..
I understand your problem there Mike. I used to live on Springbrook Mt. and quiet often if we had the doors & windows open the clouds would blow through the house.  :tumble:
Our leather and shoes in the cupboards would always get mouldy. Droplets of water would form under the bed on the floor. I waited until we shifted off the mountain before I bought a pin.

On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)