Author Topic: Wms Travel Time  (Read 3838 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Wms Travel Time
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 06:44:11 PM »
Hi guys,  this afternoon i got a start on Travel Time, started removong the top side components ready for mylar removal and cleaning.

I removed all of the plastics and posts from the top side, and left the bumpers in place for the time being, the broke out the heat gun and decided to have a go at removing the mylar to see how it would look. Once i reached the bumpers i would remove them, then remove the rest of the mylar.

This mylar had been stuck straight over the wear spots at some stage in its life (see last pic.. no hole in the mylar!!)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Wms travel Time
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 06:52:52 PM »
Well the mylar came off without too much resistance, and im pleased to say not much paint lift  $#$
2nd pic shows the worst bit, just above the kickout hole. And most of the mylar glue came up with the mylar as well so i didnt have much glue to clean up. there were also mylar rings around the bumpers which must've been there from new, so i removed these too.

Next a clean up with Prepsol and rags removed the little bit of glue that was there, the bumper areas where the bumper mylar rings had been were the most painful bits for clue removal. There was a small amount of ball swirl marks under the mylar, A quick cleanup with Magic eraser and isocol made these areas look much better.. its coming up pretty good already!! I ws very careful with the ME, so as not to go through the paint, and make more work for myself (like i did with quickdraw) @.@

Now i'm ready to start the touchup process!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 06:55:47 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 11:18:30 AM »
I've been busy with this resto over the last few days, in between working on Quick Draw and finishing off the Wildfyre PF :D

First thing i did was to clean up and fill some of the wear spots with primer, so i could later on block sand them back level to repaint.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 11:47:17 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 11:25:31 AM »
Some of the white areas, i decided to completely repaint, as i thought they were looking rather shabby. i was originally only going to touch up what was needed and leave the rest, but i decided to go the extra mile as im so bloody fussy.  :lol

In these pics i'm re-doing the area above the kickout hole.. i'll re-do each section one at at time, masking off and respraying. I'm Using the same auto acrylic white i used on the Wildfyre PF, the colour is called morroccan beige.

last pic shows the area below the kickout hole that i did next.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 11:32:11 AM »
I ended up doing most of the botton white sections below the kickout hole, all the areas with text, so i had to mask off the text. I used clear contact for this, and cut out with a scalpel as close to the text as i dared to!!

The last pic shows the end result. Next thing to do was to sand the paint back with 1200 grit wet&dry paper and Windex, to level the paint out nice n smooth, and to remove the sharp edge where the contact mask was.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 11:45:27 AM »
This morning after sanding the paint back with 1200 grit, i got a bit ahead of myself and started touching up the text. 2nd pic shows me doing the touchup with waterbased acrylic paint.. and yes i slipped a bit on that 't' im painting  @.@ a bit of careful scraping with a scalpel fixed this when it had dried  ^^^

i did the fluorescent pink as well.. i still had some work to do on these when the pic was taken.

And the last pic shows where im at with it at the moment. I wont be able to do anymore spraypainting today due to the crap weather here, and that i'll be away in Tamworth for the rest of the day after midday.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 01:20:13 PM »
 Looks like an interesting game and I'm sure cam will be stocked with your work

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 01:33:48 PM »

Great progress, Mitch. Whites are difficult to do as the original paint fades or yellows with time.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline big dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Grafton
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2010, 08:32:58 PM »
Dan ,I look on in awe.His just a pinball fixing machine,can not beat him on the things also,matter of fact can not beat anyone !!!       best thing is not to do anything and watch on as we all know it will be another great restore job..The best will be that pinball pool of his as the before to after photos will be awesome.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 09:09:45 AM »
can not beat him on the things also,matter of fact can not beat anyone !!!       

Hey Cam im still eagerly waiting for that rematch on Vortex *%* *%* *%* *%* you and fathom man caught me on a bad day, and i need to redeem myself  !!!
Ur GOIN' DOWN big fella  :lol :lol

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2010, 10:45:23 PM »
QUICK UPDATE:

I decided that i was going to repaint the flouroescent pink and orange coloured areas completely, even though they look ok in the pictures from the previous posts, in real life they are badly faded as i discovered when i removed one of the timber rails. Sorry i didnt get a before pic of the area covered by the rail, where the pink finished up under, and it may not have showed too bad in a pic anyway. but trust be it was faded! Indeed looking at the before and after pics in this update its difficcult to tell the difference!

This is my SECOND attempt at the pink areas, as my first try over the weekend didnt turn out too well, so i had to take all of the paint off and start again ^&^ ^&^ the colour ended up too dark the first time, due to one or two too many coats (it looked too red rather that pink) @.@

Im using White Knight brand spraypaints for this work. With the fluoro paint it is neccessary to apply a white basecoat first, to ensure maximum brightness and a good even coverage. So after sanding the pink areas with 400 grit wet&dry paper and windex, and wiping down with Prepsol and cloth, i then masked off the the pink areas using clear Contact book covering and cut out the areas to be painted with a scalpel. 2nd pic shows the white sprayed on and before removing the contact, and 3rd pic shows after contact removal. some small divots and hollows were filled at this stage with white paint, just dabbing it on with a toothpick into the hollows, which would be blocked sanded out later when dry.

4th pic shows the area after sanding with 400 grit wet&dry and windex and masked off for the fluoro pink.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 11:08:31 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
These pics show the fluoro pink being sprayed on...

1st pic is after two coats... three were done all up and checked against the original paint from under the left timber rail which can be seen in the 2nd pic, as can be seen its a pretty close match!!

And finally a pic after the masking had been removed.. these pictures really dont do it justice, as it looks MUCH better in person. And especially when you compare the before and after pic, they dont show much difference, but believe me, in person, the original paint had faded to almost white in comparison with the paint hidden under the left timber rail! it looks really sweet..LITERALLY!! makes me want to eat some musk sticks..  :lol :lol :lol :lol

EDIT: i forgot to mention that when i masked off for the fluoro pink, i masked the rest of the PF so as to allow the pink to overlap onto the black key lines a bit, and i will retouch the black lines later after i have blocked back the colours with 1200 grit and smoothed out the paint edges. Retouching the black will be easy as the black can still be seen due to the translucency of the fluoro paint, as you can see in the pics.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 11:19:06 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2010, 11:06:57 PM »
As cam said you a Machine mitch

Offline shansta

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2010, 11:31:50 PM »
As cam said you a Machine mitch

+1!

We need a new forum sub-section - call it Mitch's resurrections...  $%$
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2010, 11:41:37 PM »

Every time I see one of your playfield restos, I think to myslef "Gotta pull my finger out and try this".. But then again, you make it look easy, Mitch  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia