Author Topic: Wms Travel Time  (Read 3839 times)

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Re: Wms Travel Time
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2010, 11:08:52 AM »
mmmm musk sticks, looking great mate  *%*

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 10:59:26 PM »
Very very good match with that Pink Mitch .
I'm soon going to  start on my second ever PF touchups with my Gulfstream .. keep seeing yours though and just know I have no hope of ever coming even close to you .. you've raised the bar so damn High  %.%
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2010, 12:24:13 AM »
Very very good match with that Pink Mitch .
I'm soon going to  start on my second ever PF touchups with my Gulfstream .. keep seeing yours though and just know I have no hope of ever coming even close to you .. you've raised the bar so damn High  %.%

Nah dont think like that mate!! I think most (if not all) of the tricks i use could be done by anyone really if they take their time and not try to rush it ^^^

i have picked up a few ideas in my time here on AP that i have put into practice on my own restores (and lately other peoples) especially regarding work on playfields *%* and i dont consider myself an expert by any means, as i always learn something new with each game i restore or repair.

i have to say i always appreciate the kind words from you guys about my resto work i do ^^^ its good knowing my efforts are appreciated and it inspires me to go that little bit further with each resto *%*
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 12:32:58 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2010, 06:47:50 PM »
Hi peoples, just a small update;

Yesterday and today i got some of the fluoro orange done, in the clock section of the pf in the middle.

While sanding the pf in preparation for the pink, i noticed a couple of spots where i rubbed thru the black key lines (which will be redone anyway), and noticed the difference in the orange which was hidden under the black, showing me just how faded the orange colour is as well! I didnt get a pic of the different shades of orange, it would've been hard to get a decent pic showing this... trust me it is faded!! which has prompted me to want to redo all of the orange as well.

Anyway once again i started masking off for the white basecoat (i had sanded the whole area previously), 1st pic, i have used blue masking tape for the outside edges and book contact in the middle for the inserts and text.

BTW yesterday i spent some time removing and relevelling these inserts as necessary, flattening them by sanding them on 80 grit sandpaper, followed by 400 grit. Then reglueing them in with PVA glue which seems wo work well holding them in nice and firm once dried. the three top inserts i ended up leaving alone, as when i tried removing them the ply was starting to separate.. even after heating them  ^&^ so i ended up leaving them in, and since these ones were not too bad anyway was another reason to leave them.

Pics show the progress;

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2010, 06:53:31 PM »
And today after the white had been given time to cure, i rubbed it back lightly with 400 grit wet&dry and windex, to level it out a bit and to remove the rough edges.

Then... once again i had to mask it off for the fluoro orange, this time masking off so as to allow a bit of overlap onto the black key lines, which can be sanded lightly with 1200 grit later when im ready to do the black lines.

Pics show the progress... last pic is where im at with it at the moment $#$

Once again, this colour is fairly transparent like the pink was.. it can be seen where i masked off. I wasnt too worried about accuracy when cutting out here, as it will be well and truly hidden once its sanded smooth and the black is redone
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 09:58:08 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2010, 08:29:28 PM »
Looks great Mitch . How do you stop from respraying the whole PF when the areas you touchup look so good ?
Thanks for the encouragement by the way  ^^^

Cheers
Dave

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2010, 03:14:01 AM »
Looks great Mitch . How do you stop from respraying the whole PF when the areas you touchup look so good ?
Thanks for the encouragement by the way  ^^^

Cheers
Dave

Thanks Dave.. and re my encouragement, you're most welcome ^^^

I only repaint whole areas like i've done here, when i absolutely have to... ie a large area of one solid colour that is either badly faded as these areas were, or if there is a patch of wear that would be difficult to match exactly.. so i'll repaint the whole area in a close, but not exact shade of that colour. that way the repairs wont be noticeable because the whole area has been painted, and so long as the wear holes are properly primed/filled and levelled first.

In really busy/high detailed areas of pf art with several colours and some wear its much easier to hide a slightly off colour match.. it'll be less noticeable due to the detailed artwork and still look good. So only the fluoro colours (pink and orange), and the white will be completely redone on this pf, the rest is pretty good and i'll only have to do the 'paint&smear' trick for the few spots of pinhole wear that are present., with waterbased acrylics, as per Clays pf restoration guides.

hope that all makes sense :D :D

Cheers... Mitch

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2010, 04:49:40 PM »
Thanks for detailed explanation Mitch .. yeah makes sense

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2010, 07:05:12 PM »
Hi guys just another small update for now:

Today i managed to get the black done around the "clock" area and inserts, which i did the fluoro paint on in the previous posts.

First thing i did was to re-mark the outer and inner black circles edges. To do this i used a compass with a sharpie pen to get nice neat circles, that i could paint up to. i stuck several layers of masking tape down so i wouldnt be sticking the compass pint into the pf surface too much! After finding the center by measuring (and some trial and error!) i ended up with nice neat circles ready for the painting step.

Next i marked in the black lines around the inserts, again i just marked the borders with lines to paint up to. I used waterbased acrylic paint and a fine brush to do the black, rather than just using the sharpie ink, as the end results are much better i think. Plus i used the acrylic paint to fill in any minor gaps between the pf wood and the insert.. works a treat when done!!

In the last pic the end result is shown, i still have some minor touchup to do here, a few spots of black to fix up where i went over the sharpie lines slightly, (i did it all freehand) and a couple of small spots of the fluoro colour to brush touch up.

Sorry its just a small update this time.. Im hoping to get some more done over the weekend, The crap weather here is holding me up big time, as its not great weather for painting, especially spraypainting!! will post more over the weekend.. weather permitting!!

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2010, 07:09:58 PM »
The weather can be a real pain sometimes.     Is that clock flat??   as it looks like its 3d in the photos

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2010, 07:17:55 PM »
The weather can be a real pain sometimes.     Is that clock flat??   as it looks like its 3d in the photos

Not sure what you mean Daniel, what have you been drinking??  :lol :lol :lol :lol  sorry mate just joking

No seriously the pf IS flat, just the camera angle distorted the pic a bit i think, as i got in close for the pics. i can assure you its all good in the flesh, nice n symetrical ^^^

so long as Cam is happy with what im doing on his pf I'M happy
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 07:41:25 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2010, 09:02:33 PM »
I got a few more touchups done today despite the shitty cold weather here, Armidale really is the arse end of the universe i reckon!!

Anyway, armed with heaters to warm the garage and a 150 watt floodlight shining onto the pf to warm the pf surface, seems to work well.
The sections of dark green had a few spots of paint loss, in the form of white dots which needed to be filled. I ended up using a green permanent marker to touch these spots up..

Pics show the results. This area shown wasnt all that bad really, i had tried on another worse section first but didnt get any pics  &^&
This worked better that expected, just dabbing the marker onto the dots, then wiping off the excess ink with a cloth dampened with Prepsol. I know it seems like a bit of a dodgey way to do this repair, but it worked well after a few wipes with the cloth and Prepsol and wont be easy to spot when the PF is finished.

I'll give it a bit of a polish up later on, it looks a bit dull at the moment becaused i gave it a light sand with 1200 grit wet&dry before touchup was done.

The pf will be mylar covered just as all my pf restores.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2010, 09:08:06 PM »
Also i finished off the white section in the centre of the pf today, which still had a couple of sections i hadnt done before, so it all looks one colour now $#$

the newly painted sections still have to be sanded back with 1200 grit, not yet done when these pics were taken, that will be done tomorrow.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 10:13:09 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2010, 09:11:20 PM »
And now a pic of what has been done so far..

i'll add more soon as i get some more done, maybe tomorrow.. i still have to level a few inserts, and have a couple of other areas to re-do. plus i have to fix the area above the top rollover lanes where some tool had drilled holes above the lanes..
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 09:13:21 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2010, 11:36:54 PM »
What a huge improvement Mitch . Well done as usual .  ^^^ Cam will be very happy no doubt.