Author Topic: ever restored an unpopular pin?  (Read 522 times)

Offline necroscope

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
ever restored an unpopular pin?
« on: September 11, 2010, 10:01:19 AM »
saw a post on the forum about not investing in restoring an unpopular pin,just wondering what everyone's views are,i am planning my first resto attempt in the future on an unpopular pinball and have already bought a NOS playfield and some very expensive(shipping) ramps although i know bugger all about pin resto i am keen to learn and give it a go as i find the resto threads on the forum very inspiring,when i was buying the playfield and ramps the thought never occured to me i was over-investing in the machine,so now i guess it will be a keeper no-matter what as it owes me way more than it's probably worth,thats provided i can complete the task once i've started otherwise it will be a stack of useless parts @.@ so when you buy a machine do you buy it to play for a while and then move on,or buy to play/restore?

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: ever restored an unpopular pin?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 10:13:28 AM »
I usually buy any pin that comes my way.. that is stumble across by accident  :lol i acquired nearly ALL of my machines that way and some (or most) of them aren't particularly sought after titles.

If the game has sentimental value, ie if you played it in your youth as an example, if thats the case then i say go for it! Most of my most recent purchases fall into that category, sentimental attachment to a particular title.

As i just said in another thread, you have to ask yourself "how much do i love this game and how bad do i want it restored??"
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 10:16:03 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 10:15:13 AM »
An unpopular pin to some may be a great game to others . It all comes down to personal preference etc.

In some cases if it's an unpopular pin from an on-site point of view it can mean that there was fewer numbers produced which makes it harder to come by . Pins that were unpopular on-site are generally in better condition too .

At the end of the day a pin is a pin no matter what the title . Enjoy the restoration process .

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 10:18:32 AM »
I have a stern magic and think its a great game to play and one day would love to restore it fully.
You need to ask yourself are you doing this for youself or to make money.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
As long as you don't expect to get your money back if you do move it on eventually, there is no real harm in restoring an unpopular pinball machine. After all, it is a hobby first (yes, hobbies do cost money, some more than others!). Some people spend time and money doing up cars, some people spend time and money slotting coins into a poker machine, and so on. Purchasing a pinball machine as an investment is very low on most people's list, although admittedly most people would like to be able to at least get their money back if they do sell.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 10:55:07 AM »

"unpopular" ? According to "who".

Personally, I don't care if it is a Raven, Hardbody, Fathom or Haunted House. It is the "journey" from buying a filthy dirty and unloved pin into a restored and fully functional pinball. As long as it is almost complete, it hits and queue and waits it's turn.

Enjoy the process and the play time. If the machine is a Holy Grail or keeper - who cares how much you spend ? You will always at least "break even" if you want to sell further down the track.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 11:37:12 AM »
no such thing Ben .... bar x-files of course  <.> <.> <.> <.>

nah mate pinball is personal , everyone likes different things
I still like and ENJOY Judge Dredd .....

we all like different pins , just look at the owners list  ,  

if you plan on keeping it you cant spend too much , you are making it for yourself , make look a million dollars , as long as you're happy thats what counts

I have seen some fantastic rebuild and re decal jobs done on what I call average pins , but thats my opinion others love them, as I said they are a keeper who cares
shit when i get JD decals I will decal mine !  already have a  new topper for it
and will gold plat the rails too ...

mark
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 11:53:27 AM by markc »

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 12:01:09 PM »
Most machines I do up I spend more than they are worth it's just good to save another one

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 12:55:29 PM »
Laugh away.

My first is a Gottlieb Caveman...

Will eventually sell it for half of it will owe me.  :lol

But my 6y/o loves the artwork - so it's all good!  ^^^
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline slammer

• Forum Posts:
  • Bendigo Victoria
  • Aussie Pinball - No bullshit, just pinball
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 01:49:37 PM »
Last year I restored a Cactus Jacks, so far away from popular it isn't funny.

Anyway, it was my first full on tear down down to the playfield, it came up a treat and actully was a blast to play.

The kids loved it, great colours, great sound and who dosen't like a good old fashion bar brawl!

Cheers Angelo

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 02:02:36 PM »
Laugh away.

My first is a Gottlieb Caveman...

Will eventually sell it for half of it will owe me.  :lol

But my 6y/o loves the artwork - so it's all good!  ^^^

Could not have picked a tougher machine to start off. Not only is in SYS80, but it has 4 or 5 gameboards that need to be 100%.

Should have a resto thread for this game  #@#
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 02:23:17 PM »
Cant imagine many people wanting a Dolly Parton machine, but i brought it back from the dead, i still need a good playfield for it but its playable and not to bad a game actually.
http://sites.google.com/site/wiseman63/dollyparton

Cheers Ian

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 02:47:13 PM »
Last year I restored a Cactus Jacks, so far away from popular it isn't funny.

Anyway, it was my first full on tear down down to the playfield, it came up a treat and actully was a blast to play.

The kids loved it, great colours, great sound and who dosen't like a good old fashion bar brawl!

Cheers Angelo

Very good machine - I think that Aussies just haven't had a chance to play one that much.

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 03:50:55 PM »
Could not have picked a tougher machine to start off. Not only is in SYS80, but it has 4 or 5 gameboards that need to be 100%.

Should have a resto thread for this game  #@#

And those 5 video boards have been raped for parts... (And the dude didn't use vasiline either.)   ^.^

When I do something to it worthy of posting - you will find it here first Nino.  ^^^
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline Mango

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 09:25:11 PM »
I have been thinking about this in the last week as I have been thinking about restoring a pin that wouldnt be worth on resell the cost to restore. I am not thinking of ever selling the pin but am still looking forward to restoring it and gaining the experience from it and at the end hopefully having a nice 'as new as possible' pin.

I also wonder in 20 or 30 years time when there are TZ/MB/MM/W20/FT in everyones collections are people going to see an obscure pin that noone ever wanted to restore now and think, wow thats something different. If noone ever restores a Magic and they all get trashed, that one person who restores it is going to have a pretty rare pin at the end of the day. :)

In the end, do what you enjoy but do it with your eyes open to the $$$ cost