Author Topic: How to reattach drop target & other playfield part decals  (Read 1335 times)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
How to reattach drop target & other playfield part decals
« on: September 12, 2010, 04:11:20 PM »
I have printed some target decals for the LAH i am restoring and came across a product called DOUBLE SIDED JAC PAPER.
it is a clear adhesive that is similar to the adhesive used on stickers.
it comes with waxed paper (the paper you peel off your decals before you stick them on) on both sides.
I have also found it handy to reapply other decals that are in good condition but have lost their adhesive and fallen off.
I have some decals which i have removed from an old ramp and need to stick them back on after flame polishing the ramp.
The list of uses goes on.

It is available from SPOTLIGHT stores in the arts & crafts section and costs $2 for an A4 size sheet which is a lot cheeper than buying new decals when the old ones look fine and have just lost their adhesive.

I am going to try and use it for the ramp decals on my STNG (Alpha Beta & Delta ramps) where the decals stick to the underside of the ramp and need a clear adhesive to keep them in place, i will keep you guys informed and post some pics of the ramp decals

Hope this helps some of you.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline necroscope

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
i will be watching with intrest beaky,have a ramp i have to replace and the decals on it are perfect if i can remove the decal in one peice it may be easier to follow your method rather than scanning and having the decal printed at a printers,looking forward to a tutorial ^^^

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Great tip will help a lot of people

Offline Pinprick

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
That's brilliant!
I've been variously using spray adhesive (a bit messy and not as good a bond as desirable) and liquid contact cement (very fecking messy, but strong bond) I'm off to Spotlight straight away to grab a sheet or two as I do lots of this sort of work.
Thanks for sharing the idea!
"I don't operate on a level playing field"

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
I have also found another product which has a stronger adhesive.
It is not clear but is fine for drop targets & spinners.
And its not really thick like a lot of other double sidded tape.
cost me around $8 for the roll (4.5 Meters) from Bunnings
its can also be used for floor coverings (tiles, carpet & so on) so it must be strong.
the photo below shows the empty packet without the roll of tape
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
I have printed some target decals for the LAH i am restoring and came across a product called DOUBLE SIDED JAC PAPER.
it is a clear adhesive that is similar to the adhesive used on stickers.
it comes with waxed paper (the paper you peel off your decals before you stick them on) on both sides.
I have also found it handy to reapply other decals that are in good condition but have lost their adhesive and fallen off.
I have some decals which i have removed from an old ramp and need to stick them back on after flame polishing the ramp.
The list of uses goes on.

It is available from SPOTLIGHT stores in the arts & crafts section and costs $2 for an A4 size sheet which is a lot cheeper than buying new decals when the old ones look fine and have just lost their adhesive.

I am going to try and use it for the ramp decals on my STNG (Alpha Beta & Delta ramps) where the decals stick to the underside of the ramp and need a clear adhesive to keep them in place, i will keep you guys informed and post some pics of the ramp decals

Hope this helps some of you.

Great tip interested to see how it goes with ramp decals

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Update

I was told this adhesive was clear but i found this is not true. DAM  ^.^
I am on the search for some clear stuff now for the under ramp decals.

Offline spliffsecond

• Forum Posts:
  • Asse
Hey,

3M 467MP Adhesive Full Roll

This is adhesive transfer tape. It is used for re-applying adhesive to stickers, decals, anything you want to make peel-and-stick again. A full roll is 3" wide by 180' long

grtz
free

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
i will have to find some of this & give it a try.
Ta  ^^^

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
That's what I use. It's sold here in the states at pinrestore.com, but any 3m distributor should be able to get it.

a roll lasts a LONG time, so long as you keep it in a sealed bag. The adhesive lasts longer that way.