Author Topic: Is this the start of planking?  (Read 635 times)

Offline necroscope

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
Is this the start of planking?
« on: September 19, 2010, 05:38:20 PM »
not sure if you can see it too clearly in the pictures but i'm wondering is this something to be concerned about but when i look at the playfield on an angle it seems to have a finish that looks like it could plank,there are no actual cracks in the artwork but you can defintly see what would be the same pattern as what i have seen described as planking  !@# it seems to cover the whole middle playfield bar the inserts,   maybe i'm just looking too hard at the playfield  &^&

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Is this the start of planking?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 06:01:47 PM »
Ben - this was a NIB pin?  I don't know what is going on there.  Can you feel anything when running your hand over it?  Is this always been there or just started to appear?

My main gripe with the new Sterns is the thin-ness or lack there of clear.  It seems the absolute minimum went down.

If I was to buy one the first thing I'd do is remove the playfield, strip and clear coat it in a good quality automotive 2k clear. - Obviously in your case its still under warranty (I guess) so maybe contact the manufacturer to see what can be done.

Offline necroscope

• Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 06:55:34 PM »
Ben - this was a NIB pin?  I don't know what is going on there.  Can you feel anything when running your hand over it?  Is this always been there or just started to appear?

My main gripe with the new Sterns is the thin-ness or lack there of clear.  It seems the absolute minimum went down.

If I was to buy one the first thing I'd do is remove the playfield, strip and clear coat it in a good quality automotive 2k clear. - Obviously in your case its still under warranty (I guess) so maybe contact the manufacturer to see what can be done.
I've only just noticed it marty,i have been very busy putting in long days since the rain dried up and only noticed it today since i had the day off, I doubt stern would offer a warranty on such a problem as the artwork is still intact,i'm not sure what to make of it,and if it will develop further it will be interesting to see.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 06:58:37 PM »
Ben, is it just part of the playfield or all of the playfield ?

I wouldnt worry too much, may just be the natural grain of the wood.

If other new STERN owners looked closely at their machines, it would be interesting to see if alot of new STERNS have the same thing ?  !@#
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline el_timbo86

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 07:00:39 PM »
+1 with Marty,

The factory clear is extremely thin and hasnt been able to 'build'. If i had a NIB, playfield strip and re-clear would be the first thing on the to-do list. Chris at High End Pins has also had a few Stern NIB's and Stern Playfields sent straight to his workshop for the same problem...so i dont think your alone on this one man. Hope you can get it sorted out  ^^^

Timbo

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 07:18:39 PM »

I've only just noticed it marty,i have been very busy putting in long days since the rain dried up and only noticed it today since i had the day off, I doubt stern would offer a warranty on such a problem as the artwork is still intact,i'm not sure what to make of it,and if it will develop further it will be interesting to see.

Fair enough.  I was more leaning towards whether it was possibly environmental issues - ie cold / wet / damp environment or a wood heater blasting in the same room or within close proximity.

The more Stern's I've seen there are always imperfections.  Any pin NIB would have also had minor imperfections but as they're 20+ years old we just accept it.

If its a keeper I would seriously consider 2k clear the playfield.  The only thing is it would need to sit for 45 days plus to fully cure.  Timbo's the man to speak to.

Offline necroscope

• Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 07:31:26 PM »

Fair enough.  I was more leaning towards whether it was possibly environmental issues - ie cold / wet / damp environment or a wood heater blasting in the same room or within close proximity.

The more Stern's I've seen there are always imperfections.  Any pin NIB would have also had minor imperfections but as they're 20+ years old we just accept it.

If its a keeper I would seriously consider 2k clear the playfield.  The only thing is it would need to sit for 45 days plus to fully cure.  Timbo's the man to speak to.

The room my pins are kept in is quite large there is a wood heater up one end but it is around 8 meters away and i doubt it would have an effect,it doesnt really bother me that much as you can only see it when looking on an angle,it's defiently a keeper so i guess i will be getting it cc sometime in the next year or so, on a side note i just emailed stern's warranty department so it will be intersting to see what their response is, if any.

Offline necroscope

• Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 08:59:21 AM »
well after doing a search of the net and looking at heaps of photos of bbh playfields i have seen the same finish in countless others so it must be just the way they are and me being anal  %.%

Offline 48

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 10:22:02 AM »
That's good news mate.
Its good to check on these things, better to ask when you notice it rather than waiting till its buggered and out of warranty.
Lets go Brandon!

Offline Hooked

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • USA
  • God-Family- Pins.
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 08:11:04 AM »
I purchased an IJ4 with 128 plays.  Noted chipping in the clear around the right cellar hole.
E-mailed pics and they advised it was normal.  Seems things we see are normal wear and tear to others.
I have since sold it but Stern was very polite and helpful.
Custom mods made from top quality materals.
http://Http://Hookedonpinball.com

Offline bwodie

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 12:37:31 PM »
Timbo is right on. My TSPP is the same. looking to get a cleared pf to do the swap

Offline Dirty daz

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 03:17:28 PM »
i have 3 stern pins that were all new in box  it's not planking it's the grain of the wood that stern uses
planking is splitting of the wood due to heat

Offline necroscope

• Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 09:29:43 AM »
well i got a reply from sterns warranty division, here is a paste of what they said i will give it a few days before i reply but i'm thinking of asking them to sell me a nos playfield so i can have it clear coated and hopefully they will sell it at a discounted rate.

Hi Ben,
We are currently looking into the cause of this planking you're describing and showing pictures of.  Please let me know what I could do to correct this issue for you.

Regards,
Patrick

Offline TSPP

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 11:10:32 AM »
Ask for a nos playfield for FREE before you offer to pay for it mate  && Remember, they have asked you what they can do, not made an offer. Won't know unless you try.
.....something witty here

Offline Dirty daz

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 03:03:05 PM »
well i got a reply from sterns warranty division, here is a paste of what they said i will give it a few days before i reply but i'm thinking of asking them to sell me a nos playfield so i can have it clear coated and hopefully they will sell it at a discounted rate.

Hi Ben,
We are currently looking into the cause of this planking you're describing and showing pictures of.  Please let me know what I could do to correct this issue for you.

Regards,
Patrick

had a good look at all of mine last night & they are no way near as bad as yours
ask for a free PF