Author Topic: No pins left - what to do!!!  (Read 645 times)

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
No pins left - what to do!!!
« on: September 19, 2010, 05:41:16 PM »
Now that ive sold all 3 pins, im looking for something newer and more reliable... is there such a thing or am i forever going to have to fix things i know nothing about?? Thoughts?

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: No pins left - what to do!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 05:55:51 PM »
Now that ive sold all 3 pins, im looking for something newer and more reliable... is there such a thing or am i forever going to have to fix things i know nothing about?? Thoughts?

They always need some work from time to time, more just maintenance and minor servicing if the game has been reco'd properly.  With a solid steel ball flying around the playfield, vibration etc things will always break etc.

Since rebuilding my Black Hole (Sys 80 - one of the worst!) it has been 100% reliable and never missed a beat.  Same as my Data East pins.  They sometimes get a bad wrap, but I always do the necessary things at the start (ie G.I's, fuse clips etc) and have always been again 100%.

I find DMD's easy to work on and I take my hat off to the EM guys.

Now comes the fun part - deciding what machine to get!

Might be worth a trip down to Melb and do the rounds to play as many machines as you can get your hands on.

On a side note (not knowing your budget) I played a NIB Ironman at a good mates place a little while ago and I must say its by far the best 'new' game I've ever played.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 06:05:04 PM »
Good luck on the search rob as marty said if a machine has been repaired right the first time it should be good for quite some time.   My comet and gorgar have been played for over 5 years an I have not had to touch them apart from cleaning.  My Em jungle princess I fixed when I was 13 and hasn't stopped since so that's 16 years without issue.   

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 06:51:02 PM »
Best bang for ya buck in todays market, with a bullet proof design, REVENGE FROM MARS - PIN 2000 from Mark C.  ^^^

Lots of stuff is avail for these machines, and because they were sold in 1999 and 2000, they have had less play than 99 percent of any pinballs out there (excluding new STERNS ofcourse !). Easy to work on, full cabinet decals available, et etc. Buy a Revenge from Mars.  ^^^

and

&feature=related

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 07:12:58 PM »
Hmmmm played the RFM and it didnt really float my boat so to speak. Iron Man looks great but way out of price range, looking at 2 to 2.5k for a reliable pin the kids will love!

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 07:27:33 PM »
Hmmmm played the RFM and it didnt really float my boat so to speak. Iron Man looks great but way out of price range, looking at 2 to 2.5k for a reliable pin the kids will love!

Jurassic Park is always a favourite.  I prefer Last Action Hero over a JP but they are basically brother / sister games of each other.
Funhouse - definately worth a look, but stretching towards the high end of $2k for a good one. (Wotto's one would be a pearler to get)
No Good Gofers - these go around the high end of $3k but a late model game and fun.  Hard to come by down here though.
Star Wars (DE).  Great game, good fun and great theme.  Again - high $2k's if your lucky.
Flintstones - Great game, great fun.  Mid to high $2k's.

There are plenty of pins in your range.  I know you've had a bad run with some of the pins, so hopefully thats behind you now!

Just make sure to ask plenty of questions of the seller (private or commercial) as to what has / has not been done.  A fully reco'd machine should reduce the chances of problems.

I cannot remember where you're based Rob, if its NSW I guess Pinballs-R-Us or take a trip down here and check everyone out.  Some of the work Daniel (ddstoys) has been doing for Pinball Machines Australia / PBSP has certainly lifted the bar which is great to see.  Bumper Action is always great to visit as well.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 07:34:52 PM by MartyJ »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 10:10:27 PM »

Jurassic Park is always a favourite.  I prefer Last Action Hero over a JP but they are basically brother / sister games of each other.
Funhouse - definately worth a look, but stretching towards the high end of $2k for a good one. (Wotto's one would be a pearler to get)
No Good Gofers - these go around the high end of $3k but a late model game and fun.  Hard to come by down here though.
Star Wars (DE).  Great game, good fun and great theme.  Again - high $2k's if your lucky.
Flintstones - Great game, great fun.  Mid to high $2k's.

There are plenty of pins in your range.  I know you've had a bad run with some of the pins, so hopefully thats behind you now!

Just make sure to ask plenty of questions of the seller (private or commercial) as to what has / has not been done.  A fully reco'd machine should reduce the chances of problems.

I cannot remember where you're based Rob, if its NSW I guess Pinballs-R-Us or take a trip down here and check everyone out.  Some of the work Daniel (ddstoys) has been doing for Pinball Machines Australia / PBSP has certainly lifted the bar which is great to see.  Bumper Action is always great to visit as well.

+1

Jurassic Park
Flintstones
Funhouse - Wotto's is simply stunning - Great pin that is ready to slot straight into the collection. Kids love this title as well.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline shansta

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 11:25:02 PM »

Troubleshooting a SS pin is a whole different (foot) ball game. (Pardon the pun)

The 90's and later machines pretty much tell you what is wrong anyway. Even if they don't, so many boards and components are common to these things. Articles written about say, an Adams can be applied to a Twilight Zone - they are very similar.

Okay so you bummed out on the EM - does not mean you are stupid, modern stuff is easier by a long shot. (And more importantly - the stuff on the net is more current)

Go and get your JP - yeah okay its Data East, but the above points still apply!

You will be right mate!  ^^^
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline slammer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Bendigo Victoria
  • Aussie Pinball - No bullshit, just pinball
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 08:27:37 AM »
My 4yr and 6yr old love Whitewater over all the ones I have had, something about the colours and sound with the big old big foot out the back.

Make sure you have the home rom if you look down this road, as the ball save feature will come into play with the little ones.

Cheers Angelo