Author Topic: Trip to Melbourne  (Read 405 times)

Offline elkor-alish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
Trip to Melbourne
« on: September 26, 2010, 03:23:16 AM »
Well I just got back from a trip to Melbourne and I have to say I didn’t realize how crap WA drivers were until I experienced how you guys drive over there.
The main reason for the trip was a wedding I was MC-ing but I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to see most of the major pinball players in VIC.

My first stop was “The Pinball Factory”.
I had some reservations about going to see Wayne after all the stories I have heard but I have to say straight off that I went in there and took up two hours of the guys’ time talking about all things Pinball and he didn’t have a problem with it in the slightest.
I couldn’t believe how much of a nice guy and how accommodating he was.
He gave me a tour out the back to see his progress on the Medieval Madness machines. I even got to see his art department and one of the new translights being made, cool as.

Next stop was “Bike City Warehouse”.
This was another place I had reservations about. I mean, Bikes and Pinnies, what a weird combination.
My reservations were completely unfounded of course.
They have quite a few old wood rails in various condition and states of restoration.
I’m not a huge fan of woodrails but I can appreciate the history and it was amazing to see several Humpty Dumpty machines in the same place.
Once again I experienced some Victorian hospitality as Robert, the owner/manager there, showed me his workshop and probably the best Circus Voltaire I’ve seen, another nice guy.
For a place whose main business is bikes, he had a lot of great pins.

“Bumper Action” was next on the list.
These guys have a lot of very cool old stuff. Their pins are a little more expensive than some other places but that Victorian hospitality shone through again.
I have to say a big thank you to Tim at Bumper for taking the time to have a chat with me about all things Pin and for showing me upstairs where customers usually aren’t allowed.  I reckon he’s the nicest bloke I met the whole time I was in Melbourne.
Thanks mate!

Pinball Spare Parts Australia was the last but not least place I visited.
I’ve met Mark a few times now and as always he’s happy to have a chat and show you around.
Man what a change from the last time I was there. Parts everywhere! It’s almost like a Pinball department store.
A big thank you to Tim, Nadine and the guys for putting up with me and all my questions for several hours, I really appreciate it.
I just wish I’d prepared a list of stuff I needed so I could have gone shopping.
I didn’t leave empty handed though as I picked up a nice brass lockdown bar for my TotAN.

Thanks again to all mentioned, I had a great time. #*#
I’ll be back.   <..>
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 03:28:31 AM by elkor-alish »
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: Trip to Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 08:35:38 AM »
When it comes down to it, we are all bound for our love of the silverball  !#%

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 11:12:58 AM »
Sounds like you had a great trip are you sure you were talking about Melbourne drivers !@# lol

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 11:55:30 AM »

Sounds like you had a great trip and you were looked after by all (even the drivers)  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Duckman

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 03:46:37 PM »
No Probs mate, anytime. Was a great to catch up with you.  ^^^

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 03:50:25 PM »
Sounds like you had a great trip are you sure you were talking about Melbourne drivers !@# lol

Mate if you had to drive in Perth for more than half an hour you would understand exactly what I'm talking about.
It just drives you crazy. Get it.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 06:53:33 PM »
Glad u had a great trip.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Would be interested to hear more about the "Medi Evil Madness" machines being released in December.

Any good photos from the trip ?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 07:11:08 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 12:39:31 AM »

Any good photos from the trip ?

No I don't.
I thought it was a bit of poor form to go to see these guys, snap a heap of pictures and then walk away with out buying a machine.
I did buy a few things but still felt a little uncomfortable snapping photos.

I don't know about December for new machines but I do know that I saw far too much work done towards making them happen for them not to become a reality eventually.

Please don't let the thread get diverted.
I really just wanted to let all the Victorians know what a great time I had and to say don't knock any of the above mentioned Pinball peoples until you have meet them yourself. ^^^

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 06:46:38 AM »
Glad to see you liked the joint!  ^^^

Like other Vics have said - You obviously didn't drive very far.  :lol

That "keep left - unless overtaking" law is VERY optional over here...
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 08:11:21 AM »
I wondered about the photos cause I have never seen inside Mark C's or Bikecity etc.

I understand you not wanting to take snap shots.  ^^^  Even so, it sounds like u had a great time.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pinprick

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 10:20:40 AM »

Mate if you had to drive in Perth for more than half an hour you would understand exactly what I'm talking about.
It just drives you crazy. Get it.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
[/quote]

Woeful pun (((
"I don't operate on a level playing field"

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 11:00:03 AM »
Glad you had a good time while you were over here, bit of traveling around taking in all the major players in one day

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 11:07:11 AM »
Glad you had a good time while you were over here, bit of traveling around taking in all the major players in one day

Oh no way I could have done it in one day, I talk too much.  :lol
I actually spread the pinball visits over three days.