Author Topic: Who threw out a pinball machine in waverly, Victoria?  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Who threw out a pinball machine in waverly, Victoria?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 08:28:58 PM »
What about if someone left it out for a mate to pick up ?

What about if it was a private sale and someone left it outside of the persons house, but ya mate picked it up before the owner got home. ?

What if someone broke in and tried to steal it but it was too heavy for two small blokes to put in a truck and they left it there.?

What if some idiot delivery driver got the shits n dumped it there cause the people werent home. ?

I would be knocking on the persons door and asking if it is 1 million percent legitimate. In QLD there is a law against taking anything without express permission. Its legally called "Stealing by Finding". Being in security,  I wouldnt sleep at night til I knocked on the owners door.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

????? - ya leave a pinny out during council pick up?????

Stealing by finding?? What sort of dumbass law is that? If ya stupid enough to leave something out in the street then you deserve to lose it... gee... you lot didnt grow up round bloody gypsys like i did then? Theyd steal the breath from your mouth if you didnt lock it up.. even then.. make it a good lock!

Let me see... i found a pinball on side of road during council pick up and i took it home.... yep.... reckon id sleep at night and with a bloody big smile too!

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 08:41:57 PM »
Sorry.  I didnt realise it was a specific "council clean up" and if it was side by side with other stuff from the same house with definate other garbage. ? ?

The way I read it, was that it was "assumed" that it might be a council clean up.

We might have to go the the replay referee.lol to see if it was or wasnt a definate official council clean up with everyone in the street having stuff all outside, ore just one pinball machine sitting out by itself as someone drove past.

But, ya have to admit, a perfect pinball just left outside in the context i read it under, i thought it was suspect. !@# !@# !@#

p.s - its not often i ask Nick (Pinnies4me) to provide a lawful explanation of the "stealing by finding" law, but it certainly exists in all states of Australia to my knowledge.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 08:44:13 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 08:48:23 PM »
Points of proof for theft:

Identity
dishonestly
appropriate
Property
Belonging to another
With an intent to perminately deprive

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 08:52:23 PM »
Weve got stuff out on the street here for pick up and its not council clear up time... you leave it out knowing that someone will  have it... could have had a lovely tapestry last weekend ( LOL). CRT TV's are popular seeing as everyone has to have a flat but very large telly these days

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 08:53:58 PM »
I am not saying anyone stole anything. NOT AT ALL.

I am just saying that I personally wouldnt take it home unless I knocked on the door to make 1 million percent sure it was all legitimate.

Imagine if ya wife got the shits one night and dragged your Twilight Zone out the front, and it was gone the next day ! Divorce Divorce Divorce ! lol

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline braddo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 09:13:23 PM »
Maybe its lined with some illicit materials hidden in the panelling and it was a 'pick up"  #@#
Maybe 'someone else' was meant to collect it from the street  #@#
Maybe you will get a late night knock on the door one day soon  *!@

:lol @@*
WTB (or possibly trade) - 1980 Stern ALI

Offline bossninja17

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 09:42:26 PM »
Lucky bugger!
Three weeks ago, I turn up for work on Monday. One of my colleagues says to me, "I saw an old pinball machine being thrown out. If I had your number I would have phoned". I said Check if it is still there when you go home and grab it, then ring me immediately. Needless to say, no machine was there. This was near Camden, NSW. As Max Smart would say, "Missed it by that much!"
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 09:44:38 PM »
I'm pretty certain "theft by finding" exists in all states - it's got a common law root I recall, old English law we've all inherited. There's been some high profile cases recently - a couple bought a suitcase which had a stash of cash and kept it.

Personally, I prefer the law of "finders keeps, losers weepers" but I think that might just apply to coins only in primary school yards.. .. .. ;)
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 01:05:20 AM »
Sorry guys, sometimes I leave my work "security hat on" too long after work. Its just my paranoid brain that thinks everything gets nicked because I see everything everyday thats been broken into or stolen by crooks. Always plan for the worst is how security people get into the habit of thinking.Apologies for placing a neg tone on your thread.

It was probably left outside, because a flipper stopped working or something simple, and the owner got a quote for $400 to fix it and thought stuff that. It wouldnt be the first time.

I say goodluck to your friend for being Johnny on the spot.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 12:49:18 PM »
Stolen or not it's still a great find  *)*

Offline pinballowner

• Forum Posts:
  • Qld south of Brisbane
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 08:32:49 PM »
I found a Recel Space Race on the side of the road. Cabinet was stuffed, no backglass and playfield glass had been smashed. Bits of glass still on the playfield. I got it into the old van by myself......wasn't leaving it there. Saved all the mechanicals and threw out the cabinet. Being a Recel it probably never worked anyway  %.%

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Hang on Marty Machine, I'll need your mate's details as this is my machine. I kind of misplaced it the other day and believe it or not...I'm stuffed where I left it. Thank Christ someone found it for me.

These things happen as you get older. I remember misplacing my wife in the middle of the Simpson desert and lucky for me some dumb arse (I mean kind person) returned her to me.

So you can see I have a track record of misplacing stuff.....I'm not lying...it is mine....true  %.%
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
I wish they did that in Greensborough...

Marty Machine

What about if someone left it out for a mate to pick up ?
What about if it was a private sale and someone left it outside of the persons house, but ya mate picked it up before the owner got home. ?
What if someone broke in and tried to steal it but it was too heavy for two small blokes to put in a truck and they left it there.?
What if some idiot delivery driver got the shits n dumped it there cause the people werent home. ?
I would be knocking on the persons door and asking if it is 1 million percent legitimate. In QLD there is a law against taking anything without express permission. Its legally called "Stealing by Finding". Being in security,  I wouldnt sleep at night til I knocked on the owners door.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
I did mention "council cleanup" in my initial post....

Marty Machine

Sorry.  I didnt realise it was a specific "council clean up" and if it was side by side with other stuff from the same house with definate other garbage. ? ?

The way I read it, was that it was "assumed" that it might be a council clean up.

We might have to go the the replay referee.lol to see if it was or wasnt a definate official council clean up with everyone in the street having stuff all outside, ore just one pinball machine sitting out by itself as someone drove past.

But, ya have to admit, a perfect pinball just left outside in the context i read it under, i thought it was suspect. !@# !@# !@#

p.s - its not often i ask Nick (Pinnies4me) to provide a lawful explanation of the "stealing by finding" law, but it certainly exists in all states of Australia to my knowledge.
Yes, it was council "garbage", i didnt bother to mention that the pinnie was being used as a table to support 10 smaller boxes of shit on it and under it....

and to correct everyone, it actually *IS* theft to take council cleanup rubbish off the naturestrip here in VIC at least.
While EVERYONE does take stuff, doesnt make it legal ;-)
In fact some suburbs now have council patrol/sherriffs office to issue fines....they now pull over vans full of TV sets and ask where they got them from etc....

Of course, council can't be everywhere at once, so everyone still gets away with it...

anyhoo....