Author Topic: Grand Final Take 2  (Read 259 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Grand Final Take 2
« on: September 26, 2010, 03:39:32 PM »
I been to a few GF's over the years, but as there's only been 2 draws before (and the most recent was 1977) I've never witnessed a draw.

There's surely going to be a lot of argument over what happened and what should have happened, especially now that the AFL have confirmed extra time next week in the improbable event of another draw.

But in those last few moments when it became apparent that a draw was almost certainly going to happen, it was an amazing feeling. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!! I can only imagine what the players are feeling both mentally and physically. I suspect the most tough mentally will prevail next week.

Initially I left the game half wishing there'd been a result, even if it went the other way. Now I'm starting to sort of relish the idea of witnessing a bit of footy history (especially because I suspect the AFL will determine extra time if this ever happens again).

It will be an odd week - all the gala of the lead up - Browlow, Players Parade and TV hype etc - that won't all happen again.

But the great thing is a lot more fans are going to get to the game due to the additional allocation of member tickets, which is a fantastic thing - we'll get to see the least corporate most fan attended GF in history!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline shansta

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
Re: Grand Final Take 2
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 10:21:28 PM »
I don't follow AFL - the final is the one game a year I bother to (sort of) watch.

The crowd reaction was hilarious - almost silence.

How much money will the AFL make running a GF again?

I can't help but to think they would like to keep the rules as they are? Commercially that is.

Public opinion will make them change it of course - but they will still be rubbing their hands together...

Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 10:46:26 PM »

The only winner is the AFL and the corporates, although I hear the members of competing teams will have access to more tickets. I would have thought that if you pay a ticket to see your team win or lose, that you would automatically go the following week using the same ticket.

If the game went for another 10 minutes, St Kilda would have been more likely to win.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 06:33:23 AM »
I didn't wait to hear about the ticket arrangements.
(Too busy staring at relay banks - thinking WTF have I got myself into!  %.%)

It's good the members get a shot - why pay $2-300 for a membership, and then you can't get a ticket to see your team in the big one? (Guy I work with is a Saints member - he tried: no tickets left mate, sorry!) 

I did get up on the scissor lift and hang his big StKilda flag off a gantry at work - anybody landing at Moorabbin airport would have seen it!  :lol

Now I need to find a Collingwood one to hang up next to it.  *%*

At the time, I had the fleeting thought - that you would be able to use last weeks ticket.
Yeah right, like they are going to pass up the chance to make even more profit!  #@#
Why is it called PMS?

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 10:54:54 AM »

How much money will the AFL make running a GF again?

Multi-millions, for that reason I dont think they will change the rules, the chances of a draw are 3 times in 111 grandfinals (1 in 37) a 2.7% chance of ever happening again, possible but not likely, the heat will die down the AFL will make mega bucks and it will all be forgotten about for 37 years until it happens again.

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 09:03:50 PM »
Well, we got the Safeway "Finals Fever" dogalogue in the mail today...

I guess the AFL weren't the only ones having emergency meetings on Saturday afternoon? #@#

I wonder how many different companies went into "panic mode"?
Why is it called PMS?

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 12:27:22 AM »
I dont like AFL at all, being a QLD'er, but I gotta admit, I am going to watch this 2nd grand final, and it will be the first full AFL match I would have ever bothered trying to watch.

I reckon the best thing to happen to AFL in many years is this 2nd grand final. Everyone wins. The sponsors, the clubs, the fans, the code, excellent publicity to showcase a sport that everybody seems to love these days.

I have done some study and I say "Go the Saints". (are they the team that hasnt won for 30 yrs ?)  Then it will be "go the Saints" with the League Grand Final.

Its a shame Rugby League cant get the following AFL does in Vic.  These days, AFL seems to be a bigger business than League ever was.  Good for AFL.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !