Author Topic: PDI Optical Non Glare Glass  (Read 1465 times)

Offline jamjampin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: PDI Optical Non Glare Glass
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 02:11:36 PM »
Nice work,

Keep us informed about price.

Thanks

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 03:11:02 PM »
Just checked the email Joey sent me on the 18th he only had 17 sheets left then. MusT of had a rush on them as only got a few.

Will let you no what they end up costing me when they arrive.

Cheers
Craig
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline NYPinball

• Forum Posts:
  • New York
    • New York Pinball
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 12:35:15 AM »
I saw this glass for the first time the other day, really cool. You can't help but try to poke your finger through it to make sure it's really there. It's like playing with the glass off but without the noise. Personaly it's too expensive for me, It would be nice if someone could order enough to make the price go down. If you have an expensive high end clearcoated game then it might make sense. I guess once you buy it you can always swap it from game to game if you sell your game.

Offline FreePlay

• Forum Posts:
  • Lewisham, Sydney
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 01:30:33 AM »
Have contacted my supplier this morning and his response is:
"G James will be stocking this product prior to Xmas.  They are purchasing the product from Amarand Glass and it is due into store prior to Xmas.  If you let me know what you require, I will source some pricing for you if required."

So, I will forward some sizes to him for pricing. I would be amazed if we couldn't get them considerably cheaper than from the states. Will keep you updated on pricing.
I wouldn't hold your breathe on gettng any b4 xmas though.

Bruce

Thanks Bayview .. looks promising #*#

Offline Ant68

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 07:57:41 AM »
Looks good on the youtube clip , I have a close friend who is a commercial rep for GJ glass up here in Brissy , I'll give him a ring today and sus it out also .

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 09:38:02 AM »
This video was posted at RGP.

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 10:36:18 AM »
Looks good, wonder what it's like in the flesh?

went to Joey's house acouple of years ago
so Nick when I say its like nothing you have seen I mean its so clear its like looking at nothing
I had to keep touching it on his games just to make sure that the glass was there.
http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 11:11:22 AM »
one of the reasons standard glass gives off a glare or reflection is that it is cleaned with chemicals like windex, standard household cleaners and the like which coats the glass with chemicals that are designed to give a shine and make things look like new, but it also increases the glare.

HOWEVER, if u clean your pinball glass with a anti-bactearial micro-fibre cloth, which needs only water on it (do the cleaning of the glass with this only) and then use a glass polishing cloth to dry/polish, you will get almost the same effect as the glass described above.

My wife gave me the 2 x cloths described above (1 x anti bacterial cloth using water only-Never use chemicals on this cloth) and the glass polishing cloth, and it made my glass on my pinballs so clean, so new, i couldnt even tell on some of them that there was even glass there. THE RESULT IS AMAZING. The cleanest, non glare glass results I have ever seen.

The antibacterial cloth and the glass polishing cloth can be purchased from a company called NORWIX, OR ENJO OR ANY TUPPERWARE CONSULTANTS, which my wife is one of for a bit of fun n pocket money. A glass polishing cloth can be purchased for $27.75 and the anti-bac cloth is $24.00 . Total of $51.75
Note - scratched glass will always come up second best.

The glass described as optical non glare etc is amazing, but it is not an option really for anyone with a dozen or 30 machines.

Personally, I would try the $50 option, which can do all your pinballs on a regular basis, before spending many hundreds/thousands on new glass.
I might send Nick - MODERATOR (Pinnies4me) a test kit of the 2 X cloths for him to roadtest.  ^^^
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 11:16:14 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 11:18:51 AM »
Only heard good thing about the glass so be nice to see what it looks like in the flesh.Only putting it on the high end pins as due to the cost of it and Joey told me 6-8 weeks before they can ship.
I just have to play the waitting game but the first one to get it will be black spide, and with the leds and building from blackalley creations should be able to see everything crystal clear. #*#

Be nice if it could be source from Australia as would help to get the cost down.Just hope they dont break it !!!

Enjo cloths are the best for the cleaning of the Glass with just water, amazing results.

Offline jamjampin

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 12:14:25 PM »
This non glare youtube video is a wrong title.

Firstly the dude couldn't afford to destroy that many non glare pieces of glass at a couple of hundred dollars each. It is just normal pinball glass

Secondly this is exactly how tempered glass is meant to work. It is amazingly strong when hit directly. Notice the guy jumping on it. No pinball machine is going to have this much pressure on it's glass.
The weakness though is it can't take hits on the side.

Offline Ant68

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 03:50:17 PM »
Spoke to my mate , he wanted to know if this product in toughen ?
He's looking into it for me , he's thinking that it maybe imported in an kneel state then toughen locally , but he's checking .

Offline Bayview

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Hervey Bay. Qld.
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2010, 12:40:11 PM »
yes, the glass when it arrives will be "annealled" glass. This is standard normal float glass. (Breaks in bigger shards of glass). It is then processed (cut to size, drilled, edgeworked or whatever done to it), then it is "toughened" (this fractures into little tiny pieces 5/6 mm round etc, pain in ass to clean up.lol). Once glass is "toughened", you can't do anything with it, e.g.- cut it again, machine it anyway.
On the pricing of it, my supplier hasn't got back to me yet. Not his fault, I would imagine, that G. James themselves probably wouldn't know "exactly" what it is costing them until it arrives on the wharves. So, I wouldn't be guessing that a price would be available any time soon. Just my opinion. I don't know how dear or cheap it will be, but, I would like to think that I would be able to purchase at least half of the USA price or better ( I personally believe better, but don't want to stick my neck out too far just yet.  #@#). I believe my supplier will get a good deal from G James, & I good a great deal off my supplier.
Just be patient mates. It will happen & it will be better than buying from the USA, that's for sure. It has to be. (did I say that)...famous last words. @.@

Cheers
Bruce
Ya just gotta luv an EM.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2010, 04:41:34 PM »
I have spoken with the Operations QLD Manager for G.James in Brisbane re the glass u guys have been talking about.

Luckily, work allowed me to visit their largest plant here in Brisbane.

I was told that the product you describe is also made in Australia, but is referred to/or called something different . I also had the opportunity of watching how different types of glass are manufactured n treated in what can only be described affectionately as the worlds largest, longest and hottest glass ovens (looks like a pizza oven with rollers all the way along) with operating temperatures in the thousands of degrees centigrade. I actually got to see how gold dust is used, along with many other expensive fine metals to give certain glass types its strength and special properties.

I was fortunate to carry out some security and technical work with a few of the electrical engineers in Brisbane and got the tour.
There is alot more to glass, and the various types, and how its made up, than u first think.
I have also asked for some pricing. I will pass on any results I get from my Brisbane Contact.  ^^^

p.s - has anyone got any firm pricing from the USA . It would be good to have a yardstick to compare to.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 04:56:00 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Bayview

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Hervey Bay. Qld.
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 06:04:10 PM »
Well.... so much for famous last words & I have to pull my foot out of my mouth also. @.@
We won't be buying PDI Non Glare Glass from Australia anytime soon.

This is the exact email my glass supplier (big National Company), received from G.James last week. It's all bad.
This is G.Jame's quote to my supplier. Wow, this stuff is dearer than I imagined. Unfortunately, they are only stocking it in 6 mm, not 5 mm.

"we'll be getting the Amiran in within a few weeks, so should be in a position to supply pre-Xmas.

6mm Amiran toughened

$680.00m2 standard arris.

Alternative:

6.38mm Viridian Optiview annealed laminate

$235.00m2 flat ground edges included.

2 week leadtime

in both instances minimum charging size per panel 0.5m2; minimum invoice value $300.00"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pinball glass in 6 mm would cost $400 + gst.  ::). Ridiculous I say.
So getting it for $300 from USA is the best/only option at this stage.
Sorry for the bearer of bad news guys.
p.s. Pinny glass approx. 0.582 m2. End of the day....it's not the right thickness.
I still can't get over how dear it is. !*!
Ya just gotta luv an EM.

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 06:17:27 PM »
Well.... so much for famous last words & I have to pull my foot out of my mouth also. @.@
We won't be buying PDI Non Glare Glass from Australia anytime soon.

This is the exact email my glass supplier (big National Company), received from G.James last week. It's all bad.
This is G.Jame's quote to my supplier. Wow, this stuff is dearer than I imagined. Unfortunately, they are only stocking it in 6 mm, not 5 mm.

"we'll be getting the Amiran in within a few weeks, so should be in a position to supply pre-Xmas.

6mm Amiran toughened

$680.00m2 standard arris.

Alternative:

6.38mm Viridian Optiview annealed laminate

$235.00m2 flat ground edges included.

2 week leadtime

in both instances minimum charging size per panel 0.5m2; minimum invoice value $300.00"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pinball glass in 6 mm would cost $400 + gst.  ::). Ridiculous I say.
So getting it for $300 from USA is the best/only option at this stage.
Sorry for the bearer of bad news guys.
p.s. Pinny glass approx. 0.582 m2. End of the day....it's not the right thickness.
I still can't get over how dear it is. !*!

Thanks for finding out about the price.
Will wait and see if i can get it ship to me without them breaking it then i will no the total cost and let you no what it all came to from the usa.