Author Topic: Hot Hand - My restore plans  (Read 1196 times)

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Re: Hot Hand - My restore plans
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 10:37:01 PM »

An excellent result for such an early test.

Suggestion - Print the sections from scans of the front of the backglass. Select the RED sections, and print the red sections (laser printer or similar) on A4 transarency. That way, you might be able to slot the A4 sheets behind the backglass trim ?

Yeah - this could go anywhere Nino.
I was thinking about some other , stiffer material.

Happy to see that 'an effort' WILL at least achieve some result.....now I can think it through properly.

DW Drums rule !

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 05:01:37 PM »
Big improvement, look forward to seeing how this one goes *%*

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 05:41:17 PM »
Looking very good  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 09:09:56 PM »
Thought I would test my theory on the bumper caps as well.
For some reason ( that someone here may be aware of ) - every Stern cap appears to be available as a repro except these  ^&^

I also wanted to try a material 'better' to work with than cellophane - so I bought some sheets of RED polycarbonate sheets from my local art supplier , it is like the covers on common office document folders BUT is smooth faced as opposed to a rough feel. You can see in this image it is still see-through but.

It is slightly easier to cut as it is thick and holds some shape while cutting.
In the end I cut the heart shape out of it, then stuck 2 layers of red cellophane to the side that would be facing up against the bumper plastic - I could stick any old shape of cellophane to it as it was simple to cut around the edge of this polycarbonate to trim the cellophane to shape.

Below LEFT is the initial result....right is one of my 'un-touched' caps.

Here is a look at the cap image from IPDB.
So I guess mine is now a little closer to this !@#

I would like to try a couple of light but solid coats of red with the airbrush on TOP of the cap as well but unsure how this would look?
Gav ?

DW Drums rule !

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 09:45:37 PM »
Enamels are best for this and also best if mixed with some clear to make a translucent colour, that way you can layer it on and not block out too much light and get a richer colour.

Several light coats required... do your initial and let dry, then apply light source behind and it will show your flaws and then spray again.
If you use a light source at the start its nigh on impossible to not spray too much to try and obtain an even colour. First coat is best done blind

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 11:05:01 PM »
Thought I would test my theory on the bumper caps as well.
For some reason ( that someone here may be aware of ) - every Stern cap appears to be available as a repro except these  ^&^

Hey Wotto

I asked PBR about them around 18 months ago.  They said they had 1 cap in stock, and no plans to do another run. 

Interesting that your switches around the big flipper are red.  Mine are white.  However, I have seen both before, so figure was just a matter of what was in the parts bin at the time :)

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 12:42:14 PM »
Enamels are best for this and also best if mixed with some clear to make a translucent colour, that way you can layer it on and not block out too much light and get a richer colour.

Several light coats required... do your initial and let dry, then apply light source behind and it will show your flaws and then spray again.
If you use a light source at the start its nigh on impossible to not spray too much to try and obtain an even colour. First coat is best done blind

Thanks Gav - good info.
I am a little scared to do these as they are not re-available if I stuff em up  &^&

Going off to buy the 2mm perspex for the backglass today.
I have worked out that there is enough clearance for that sheet before it would hit or be near the globes BUT I will have to cut the shapes out of it for all the displays etc as they sit fairly flush against the backglass normally.

Watch this space #@#
DW Drums rule !

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 07:42:25 PM »
First coat is best done blind

A few drinks helps my confidence too **)

*)*  *)*  *)*  *)*  *)*

$&&

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2010, 04:06:01 PM »
Thought I would update this thread as I have done a lot this week.
In no particualr order here you go ..........

The Coin Door

Here is a look at how it arrived.
It is amazing how annoying NOT having a lock on a door is to be honest.

I went and got some Metal Hammer paint - this stuff.

I sanded the door back with 400 and 360 paper so it was as smooth as I could get it.
Here is a look after 2 coats - this is a wet pic.

I found that this paint was best to use in 2 decent coats and then one light coat to finish it off as that seemed to take any 'blotchiness' out of your final end result - worked for me.
Obviously the door trims and bolt heads are done with this as well.

I have a new lock on order and also a STERN door sticker and I will re-make the credit button surround soon.

You should also notice a vast difference in the coin insert section as well.
This was cleaned with a MILD steel wool and CLR and then polished with 'Reflections' chrome cream - my product of choice.

I also created new 'Free Play' text cards and cut new red translucent covers for them using this stuff.
It came in the standard red and also a matching ( to the old pinball style ) translucent deeper red - I got the deep red stuff.

*** I have about 2 x A4 size sheets of this left- so if anyone wants an offcut to do thier game PM me and I will send you enough to do ONE coin door ***

Pretty happy with this result  ^^^

I have a new shooter rod and beehive cover coming , so the front of this game will look sweet when finally finished.

The Backglass re-colour continues

I have purchased the full size sheet of perspex.
I realise I will have to cut rectangular sections in it so that once it is placed against the rear of my BG that it can fit in around the displays as they sit hard up against the BG normally.
I will show that when I do it.

In the meantime I am creating copies of the cards so that I can stick them on the BACK of my piece of perspex to be used as 'placement guides' for the red pieces of polycarbonate and cellophane I will be using.
Once I have stuck the new red pieces in thier final place these 'placement templates will be removed forever.

I started by stitching the scanned images together in Photoshop to recreate the cards image.
You can see I have my Layer 2 at 60% so that I can 'see through it ' to make sure it sits in the exact right spot.

Here is the same image with Layer 2 viewd normally.

Then I had to find distinct points to help me create the templates at the correct sizes.

I then had to 'translate' or re-create those measurements into my files I had scanned in Photoshop so that these templates will print to the EXACT same size as the cards on the actual BG.

You can see below I used the hieght measurement of the Jack and the width between the furthest left point of the 1 and the centre of the K in the King card.

And here I am using the 'ruler guides' in Photoshop to make sure I have those spots placed and measured correctly.

On Monday I will print this image , just in simple plain old black and white on our A3 printer at work.
Then I can cut it and size test it on the actual BG.

More soon.............

The Playfield

I have pretty much completed the playfield apart from the bumper caps and waiting to recieve a new set of drop targets.
Here are various shots of it from start to finish.
I dont need to go through all that I do as most of us here realise how to get the shine back in a playfield these days.

My method of choice remains a clean with Wax and Grease remover, a MILD wipe over with Orange Solvent, then the Novus 3, then Novus 2 to finish off.
I have re-flattened the playfield plastics.
Lightly sanded and ( brush ) clear on the top holes.
Re-rubbered and globed.
Cleaned all PF posts and uses new screws where possible.
I have hand painted new black around all the PF inserts as well.

Here ya go....the old.

Take note of the ( so called ) chrome parts and compare later.

Here is the playfield stripped of 95% of parts and cleaned initially.
I am waiting on new skirts so I will do the bumpers later.

I re-painted VERY lightly the white wood strips with a Satin White.

New Spinner Decals on, bracket polished and clean posts back in the game.

Starting to see the PF shine come out and the chrome like a mirror now

The new look top holes - I didnt go TOO crazy with sanding these - just smoothed em to 'baby's bum' status and then cleared.

All posts on and lit - ready for the rubbers and plastics to go back on

And how she looks today - just waiting on a few parts.
New acorn nuts on plastics as well.

New cards made for the apron.
I re-wrote the rules so to speak , in an order that should be more 'understandable' to a player.

I still have to do the playfield wear fix and re-spray the black lines on the apron card surrounds - but it's coming along fairly nicely  <.>

DW Drums rule !

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2010, 07:34:38 PM »
lookn good so far Wotto ^^^ ^^^

I like the coin entry light up text cards you made, looks great, il have to steal that idea for my own Stern games  :lol :lol i used clear acrylic plastic when i made mine and printed the red text colour onto clear adhesive decal sheet and stuck that to the clear, yours look much better i think *%*

its making me want to start on my own Hot Hand!!

Offline el_timbo86

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2010, 08:02:26 PM »
very very nice Wotto,

I always enjoy reading through your restores, they are very informative and packed with 'hot tips' (hot tips - hot hand - get it??  !@#)

Keep the updates coming,

Timbo

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2010, 08:33:08 PM »
Great work there Wotto  ^^^ Keep those tips coming .. very helpful ..
So agree that the coin door makes a huge difference to the look of the machine . I've only done the door on one of my 8 games so far  !!!.. always seem to have too much else to do ...
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2010, 09:19:14 PM »
Wow, great work on that one - I do want a Hot Hand one day, but I don't know whether it will ever be as good as your one!

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2010, 09:30:23 PM »
I am amazed how good that playfield is, cant wait to see how the backglass turns out  #*#

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2010, 11:34:31 PM »

I really appreciate the artisitic side, Wotto - Photoshop etc - really can make a huge difference. That playfield looks really nice.

This will be the sweetest looking Hot Hand around !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia