Author Topic: Rubber Kits  (Read 424 times)

Offline JurassicP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Rubber Kits
« on: November 05, 2010, 03:35:55 PM »
Now I am not complaining....Well maybe a little. :)

Can anyone explain why a rubber kit would not contain every rubber on the machine? Or am I misunderstanding something. I bought a Getaway Rubber kit but when inspecting the machine I notice that the rubbers on the star posts are not there? So now I have to look up what they are and do another order. Also missing were some tiny little rubbers on some plastic upright posts that sit to the left of the left hand side rails below the ball lock on my Getaway...
Not sure what else but I guess in the long run I have learnt something....

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: Rubber Kits
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 06:30:54 PM »
Re; re rubbering a "the getaway'
If you use the same rubbers as in the manual, you will find the rubbers for the slingshots are too fat and will not let the ball down the lane
useing a smaller rubber will stretch them out, and make them thinner, and the ball will go down the lane

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 07:27:19 PM »
I dont think there is a rubber kit in the world that contains every single rubber that the machine needs.

After 30 machines, I have found almost every single listing in the factory manuals is short/or incorrect.

So when the sellers pack the rubbers according to the manufacturers list, they are doing the best they can.

Just order extra of the most used sizes. It is a small pain, but easily fixed after a cold borban n coke, to overcome the frustration.lol  ^^^ $&& $&& 
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline JurassicP

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 10:22:41 PM »
Thanks for the tips Guys, Steep learning curve this weekend. Will have to order a few more bits.. :)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 10:52:36 PM »

Rubber kits are usually straight off the manual. Manuals are not always correct.

I prefer buying every size in bulk and then using "common sense" to re rubber a playfield. Just follow the playfield diagram, just don't necessarily use the rubbers that are recommended.

The FIRST mistake in the rubber diagrams on DMDs - They are Black  ^&^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 02:47:51 AM »
I agree with the manuals being wrong.
I have been caught out by this before. I had ordered a rubber kit for a pin and found incorrect rubbers and rubbers missing.
After having a winge and a whine at the supplyer about the rubbers I found myself with egg on my face when I read the rubber list in the manual.
As Strangeways does (but i don't find it to be a strange way of re rubbering pins,  && ) I also keep a lot of the common sizes.
And just order the ones that arn't so common & are needed to re rubber the pin that i am doing with an extra 5 or so in case I miss one or two hidding in dark corners of the playfield.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 11:55:17 AM »
I've always wondered why there isn't a site with ring lists for pins or why it isn't added to IPDB or one of the flyer sites.  Or is there such a site around?

Seems it would be an ideal thing that people could contribute to. 

For a person with just one pin or a new to them pin it's a pain to have to order a kit and then discover what is missing.

Searching on rec.games.pinball will sometimes turn up a list of required rubber.

Offline Bennyfactor

• Forum Posts:
  • Butler, Perth
  • Soon, soon...
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 03:30:48 PM »
Maybe we could start an Aussie Pinball wiki with a page for each machine that the community can add to and update...

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 05:58:04 PM »
Maybe we could start an Aussie Pinball wiki with a page for each machine that the community can add to and update...
that sounds like a good idea

On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 07:45:34 PM »
Under the Technical section, it would be easy enough to start a sub-section called Rubber Kits (or whatever is the best description), and just start a thread for each pinball? Or organise by year, or something?

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 04:08:09 AM »
I've always wondered why there isn't a site with ring lists for pins or why it isn't added to IPDB or one of the flyer sites.  Or is there such a site around?  

Sure is.
http://www.flippers.com/rubber-rings.htm

The added bonus of the above website is that incorrect listings from the manual are reflected in updates from pin owners. The Getaway entry for example has the 5/16 rings listed that the OP mentioned were missing, which the manual doesn't have listed.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 04:25:41 AM by pinsanity »

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 08:47:27 AM »
Any suggestions on the best (and cheapest) place to buy rubber rings if you're not buying a "rubber ring kit".
I am about due to stock up on the various sizes myself.

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 08:58:06 AM »
I've always wondered why there isn't a site with ring lists for pins or why it isn't added to IPDB or one of the flyer sites.  Or is there such a site around?  

Sure is.
http://www.flippers.com/rubber-rings.htm

The added bonus of the above website is that incorrect listings from the manual are reflected in updates from pin owners. The Getaway entry for example has the 5/16 rings listed that the OP mentioned were missing, which the manual doesn't have listed.
Great site thanks for the link

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 09:19:16 AM »
Any suggestions on the best (and cheapest) place to buy rubber rings if you're not buying a "rubber ring kit".
I am about due to stock up on the various sizes myself.

Certainly the site sponsors who deal in parts will sell them (Pinball Spare Parts Australia and RTBB - but Greg from RTBB is away just at the moment).

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 10:38:18 AM »
With the link from pinsanity & ajlaird’s idea, I’ve started a section for this under Technical as it’s handy information for others. Feel free to add more information.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”