Author Topic: KISS, my holy grail pin is here!!  (Read 28438 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: KISS, my holy grail pin is here!!
« Reply #135 on: February 27, 2011, 03:43:15 PM »
More pics.. There were a few spots where sections of ply were missing completely, having split away from the cab, which i had to repair. In the 1st two pics, im using Builders Bog to replace the missing ply. I clamped a piece of wood to the inside edge with a piece of paper wrapped around it to stop the bog from sticking to the wood i had clamped there as a guide. Then i simply filled the space where the ply was missing with builders bog! simple and effective me thinks  :D In the 1st pic the bog had dried sufficiently for me to remove the clamps. Doing this i found t was best to remove the clamps and wood guides BEFORE the Builders Bog had complelely dried, that way the paper came away easy without sticking to the Builders Bog. 2nd pic shows a section i did this way at the bottom front of the cab, dried and sanded smooth.

For the front section (3rd pic) which had pieces of ply completely gone i decided to cut and glue in a new piece (4th pic).

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #136 on: February 27, 2011, 03:45:33 PM »
And here is the new piece glued in and planed level with the rest of the front panel.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #137 on: February 27, 2011, 03:50:30 PM »
The back pedestal section where the backbox bolts on was separating from the cab, and here is how i chose to repair it. It was late at night when i did this, so i used what i had lying around, ie glued and screwed a piece of ply inside the cab, glued, clamped and screwed fro the outside, as can be seen in the first couple of pics. I filled the screwholes in the back later on while i was filling dents and gouges in the cab.

And last couple of pics of after all of the repairs had been done, and had been sanded back smooth with 80 grit, 160, 280 and finally 400 grit ready for undercoat.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 03:53:14 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2011, 04:04:03 PM »
More pics, first couple of coats of undercoat, still a bit see through in places, at this stage i filled a few spots i had missed with some Polyfilla "Skim Coat" and let that dry. Then i sanded filler smooth with some 240 grit sandpaper. After that i gave the cab about another two or three coats of undercoat and and left it to dry for a few days before sanding.

When dry i sanded it back with 240 grit then 400 grit, ready for the white basecoat. I used Dulux Vivid white enamel. last couple of pic show where im at with it at the moment. The basecoat was sprayed on on Friday, i'll allow a few more days before starting doing the stencils.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2011, 04:11:27 PM »

Nice work. Mitch - coming up a treat  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline howzat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #140 on: February 27, 2011, 10:41:45 PM »
looking good Mitch @@*

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #141 on: March 01, 2011, 10:34:39 PM »
QUICK UPDATE:

I got a start on the stenciling, and thought id add a few pics of what ive done so far.
1st pic the stencil cut out ready for the red/orange colour.
2nd pic, after a couple coats of Dulux "Volcano Orange" which matched fairly well to the colour hidden under the legs and coin door frame. I did this in five LIGHT coats, waiting 15 -20 mins between coats and removed the stencil 30 mins after the last coat.
And the end result after the stencil removed.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #142 on: March 01, 2011, 10:38:50 PM »
more pics, right hand side being done. I did this this evening, and the other side last night.
there ended up being a couple of spots of slight paint bleed but they touched up nicely. pretty happy with how its turning out so far  *%*

Will do the black (and the orange on the front) on the weekend... time and weather permitting!!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 10:46:40 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #143 on: March 01, 2011, 10:53:27 PM »
This cab is going to look Fantastic Mitch  .
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2011, 11:11:02 PM »
I reallylove the way you make your own stencils was going to buy some for firepower but really think I should make my own now

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #145 on: March 05, 2011, 02:02:53 PM »
Quick progress update:

Got the black done on the cab now.. coming together slowly but surely   #*#

I cut out the stencil for the black yesterday (1st pic)... and boy what a pain in the arse that was to do  ^&^ lots of fine detail in their faces that was tricky to cut out of the cardboard without damaging it.

so yesterday afternoon i decided to start doing the black. Once again several light coats were done and the stencil removed after about 30 mins after the final coat was done.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #146 on: March 05, 2011, 02:10:55 PM »
And this morning i flipped the cab over and did the other side, and here is how it looks so far.

Despite being very meticulous with weighing down the stencil it DID get a slight bit of overspray under the stencil in places and a couple of small touchups were needed, but overall it turned out pretty good. The overspray was taken off and made to look a lot better with a polish with Novus 2 and a cotton bud in the small areas that needed it. Novus 2 works really well for this, i used to use Re-po paint doctor but found that it dulled the finish, which doesnt happen with Novus.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #147 on: March 05, 2011, 02:39:53 PM »
Excellent result Mitch  ^^^ . And I think I am going to have hassles with my stencils for Gulfstream .. yours would be much harder 

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2011, 09:11:56 PM »
Some more pics, with the front done. Just have to repaint the pedestal section where the backbox bolts on, and clean out the inside and i can start putting it back together  #*# but i will give the stencil paint a few days to dry properly first  *%*

Next on the agenda, backbox repaint.. stay tuned!!

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2011, 10:37:02 PM »
Hey Mitch. Just showed your cab pics to my wife. They blew her away .  *%* She couldn't believe you achieved that level of detail with cardboard stencils.   $#$