Author Topic: KISS, my holy grail pin is here!!  (Read 29672 times)

Offline PinPal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
Re: KISS, my holy grail pin is here!!
« Reply #165 on: March 09, 2011, 10:51:29 PM »
WOW !! thats unreal....  Nice job!!.....

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #166 on: March 14, 2011, 10:47:16 PM »
I managed to get some more done over the weekend... some pics of the backbox with the red being done, and how it turned out. Should be able to get the black done in the next day or so.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #167 on: March 14, 2011, 11:03:01 PM »
more pics..

I've started fitting parts back into the cabinet. The tumbler got a real good workout over the weekend with all of the screws and small metal fittings and mechanisms from the cab, including the tilt mech pictured. I even gave the plywood tilt panel a sand and a couple of coats of clear while the parts were in the tumbler  :D
and some pics of the knocker assembly, as well as the ventilation grille from the neck where the backbox sits.. this was a nice shade of rust so it was left to soak in Ranex overnight, then rinsed off and dried, and given a coat of etch primer, and finally sprayed with some dark grey Plasti-Kote brand hammer tone paint i found in Bunnings which seems to match the original shade of grey the grille was painted in well, which i found underneath where it mounted inside the neck opening when i removed it.. the only area not rusted.

I'm thinking i'll spray the legs in this colour as well  !@# not sure if its the right colour or not, but im guessing the grey i found on the grille from the neck would've been the same colour the legs were done in... Thoughts please from someone who might know  !@# !@# 

the legs on this machine werent original, it had rusty chrome legs when i got it, 27 inch Gtb legs on the front and 28 1/2 inch in the rear.. i dont know at what stage of its life someone had put these on  *!@

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 11:08:46 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #168 on: March 14, 2011, 11:16:53 PM »
just a few more pics for now.. with the shooter assembly reinstalled. The chrome had a few spots of rust on it that cleaned up pretty well with some Ranex and steel wool, and a polish with Auto Sol. the plunger rod and outer spring are brand new. Note also i have given the coin box area a light coat of white paint to make it a bit tidier looking when the coindoor will be opened  :D I used some flat white enamel for this, slightly thinned out with white spirits so it would soak into the wood a little bit and not be too glossy.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 12:00:02 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #169 on: March 14, 2011, 11:23:48 PM »
Thanks for sharing this amazing restoration.  Very nice work.

I really like how the tilt panel looks when cleared. ^^^

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #170 on: March 15, 2011, 12:04:44 AM »
Great work as usual Mitch  @@*

Really enjoying this thread, you must be hanging out to play the first game I'd imagine,
looking forward to more updates.

Cheers
Dave

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #171 on: March 15, 2011, 12:04:59 AM »
Very nice Mitch !

I think I have a can of auto paint that is an exact match for the legs. I'll source it tomorrow and report back.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #172 on: March 15, 2011, 12:08:55 AM »
Very nice Mitch !

I think I have a can of auto paint that is an exact match for the legs. I'll source it tomorrow and report back.

thanks Nino, that would be much appreciated  ^^^

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #173 on: March 15, 2011, 02:44:22 PM »
Awesome job !  ^^^  #*#

Always appreciated your work Mitch.
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #174 on: March 15, 2011, 08:45:41 PM »
As always Mitch top shelf all the way ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #175 on: March 15, 2011, 09:49:09 PM »

Mitch - I cannot recall why I picked this paint, it might have been a RGP thread from years ago. I'm told it is the equivalent of the USA paint

Powerplus "Spray and brush system"
GUNMETAL
Product code PJ9190

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Power-Plus-Touch-Up-Paint-Gunmetal-PJ9190.aspx?pid=1229#Description

I bought it from Supercheap auto. I bought a small test spray can 150g. I never tried it, but I was told I had to use the Powerplus primer.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #176 on: March 15, 2011, 10:35:37 PM »
thanks for that Nino  ^^^ i was in Supercheap yesterday actually but didnt have a lot of time to look in the touchup paints section  @.@

As i mentioned this game had the wrong size legs (well TWO of them were wrong) so i had a scrounge around through my stash of legs and found some legs the correct style and size. I actually sprayed a couple of them in the dark grey hammertone paint i bought so i could see how they looked. The colour is a dark grey, almost like gunmetal colour. they came up pretty good.

I'll now have a look again in Supercheap and see if i can find the Power Plus gunmetal and see how that compares. If i like it i'll strip the legs i have painted already and redo them in the gunmetal grey. I actually like the Power Plus paints, i use them quite a lot for pinball restoration, eg.. playfields, aprons and even backglasses!

And BTW thanks everyone for the kind words so far!! always appreciated  ^^^

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #177 on: March 15, 2011, 10:52:46 PM »
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA  Just noticed you didnt stuff up your backbox like i did  %.% %.% %.% %.% %.%

I made up a stencil from a photo off the net then simply flipped it over looked really good till i tried to squeeze tha bally bit into the backwards flames  !!@   no one has noticed yet LMFAO

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
  • There's no law against having fun, just yet!
« Reply #178 on: March 16, 2011, 08:25:36 AM »
Fantastic job Mitch. Looks brilliant.

J.D.
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #179 on: March 16, 2011, 10:40:59 PM »
Hi Guys, Cabinet repainting is now finished!  $#$ $#$

I got the black 'Bally" logo stenciled onto the backbox, finished it a few hours ago, Did the other side yesterday afternoon, and left it til today to do the opposite side.
I have now moved the cab and backbox into the house in preparation for reassembly. Of course I just HAD to sit the backbox onto the cab for a look see, and get a pic for you all to see  :D all of the screws and fittings from the backbox are in the tumbler (anything that would fit in) being polished. they will be left in overnight.

next on the 'to do' list will be the coin door rebuild and the light board for the backbox, which will be repainted and refitted soon as i get time.  
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 10:09:16 AM by Mr Pinbologist »