Author Topic: Nucore Experience ? Pinball 2000  (Read 28798 times)

Offline Pinballer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Nucore Experience ? Pinball 2000
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 05:13:25 PM »
Pg 22 of the Nucore User manual states, that when the Nucore software installation is complete, a new file will appear on the Ubuntu desktop.  The file is titled nucore_install.log.  The manual suggest you open this (it's just like a Windows txt/Notepad file) and view the 2nd last line.  It should read "Nucore install was a success".  This is what my install log file reported.

If it doesn't report this, the manual points you in the direction of the Big Guys Support webpage (Nucore Headquarters) for further help.

With my system reporting the Nucore software was installed correctly.  I moved onto the next step as described on pg.25 of the Nucore User manual.  This involves you going online with the Nucore system at this point and downloading the Nucore ROM package from www.pinball.com, from the actual link supplied in the manual.  I suffered some frustration at this point and want to document what happened and how I resolved it, hoping that it may help others in future.  

The image below shows the Firefox icon on the task bar of the Ubuntu desktop.  I took this picture prior to the instructions on pg.22 of installing the Nucore software.  Once the Nucore software was installed, you will notice what happened to the Firefox icon in the next picture.  The Firefox icon disappears and is replaced with a black square. Hover the mouse pointer over the icon and it still knows it is Firefox by the information bubble that appears. However when trying to run Firefox to go online and download the Nucore ROM package, I got the following error message displayed in an error box: -

ERROR
Could not launch application failed to execute child process "firefox" (no such file or directory).

NOTE: Firefox is an alternate Internet Browser, similar, but much better than Microsoft's Internet Explorer.  
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 05:53:15 PM by Pinballer »