Author Topic: Nucore Experience ? Pinball 2000  (Read 28784 times)

Offline Pinballer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Nucore Experience ? Pinball 2000
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 05:36:34 PM »
The error basically alerts the user that the Firefox program is corrupt or not installed correctly, as it cannot locate the necessary files to run Firefox.  I assumed that this error would be documented somewhere and I'd find a solution online, wrong!  

I read through any related thread on the Big Guys Pinball Forum hoping to find a solution.  I couldn't find one.  I decided my next step was to start the installation process again.  I did this by going back to step 1 and installing Ubuntu & Nucore again.  This included formatting the Hard Drive of the Nucore system and starting the installation from scratch.  Unfortunately this didn't resolve anything, as I was right back to the same position, with the same error.

Being a complete novice with Ubuntu, I just started exploring the options available for the Ubuntu user from the desktop.  At the top of the screen in the menu bar you will find "Update Manager" listed under the "System" menu.  This allows the user to Upgrade the installed Ubuntu software and any other installed software packages.  When you run this option, it gives you a list of all installed components and the ability to upgrade some (user selected) or all components.  This is where the time browsing the postings on the BGP Forum was invaluable.  As one posting mentioned that Nucore wasn't yet compatible with the latest version of Ubuntu.  So I decided to just select and upgrade Firefox only, as shown below.

Several minutes later the download of the Firefox updates was completed and installed.  Glancing up at the Firefox icon on the menu bar, showed it was again legible.  I clicked on it and Firefox loaded up successfully and I was able to continue on as described on pg.25 of the Nucore User manual.  WOOHOO!

When Firefox ran for this first time, it appears the Home Page has been set to a very popular internet Forum!!  Someone at Nucore must be an AP fan!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 06:18:39 PM by Pinballer »