Author Topic: Installing siderails  (Read 160 times)

Offline faza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Installing siderails
« on: November 19, 2010, 07:42:19 PM »
Ok guys i am installing side rails tommorrow on my TAF any hints or tips would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Installing siderails
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 07:51:10 PM »

Lining up the screwholes is the critical part. The rails must also sit on the plastic glass trim.

Some people use low tack adhesive tape placed over the rails and body while it is in position, but the adhesive strip is not peeled. Basically, the side rail is in position to test. Then you are ready to peel the adheside strip, fold over the siderail - like a piano cover (but in reverse). Unpeel the adhesive strip and then close the piano ! Remove the low tack adhesive strip.

The method I use is a lot simpler. Place two screwdrivers on each hole in the siderail. You are only interested in the orientation of the screwholes, so practice placing the siderail into the cabinet. You will see in line up. Once you know what you need to do, remove the adhesive backing, and then do exactly what you did during the practice run. With the screwdrivers in the siderail holes, you can align the moving siderail. Helps when there are two people, but I've done a few before without any issues.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline el_timbo86

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 07:59:05 PM »
Couple of little things i do...

It works for me, but may not work for everyone...

With the black plastic guides for the glass installed (obviously they need to be installed BEFORE the rail itself) slide the glass in and THEN install the rails. This will eliminate the possiblity of sitting the rail lip too low, preventing you from sliding the glass in at a later date.

Secondly...

Loosely, install the siderail bolt in the rail, and then at the front of the cabinet (just under the lockdown bar). Dont tighten it up, just spin the lockwasher/nut on a few threads. Having the bolt loosely in place will keep your rail at the right position when you press in on.

Make sure to post a nice big update when they are installed and looking super flashy  ^^^

Hope this helps,

Timbo

Offline faza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 10:08:39 PM »
Thanks Nino and Tim have a basic idea now of what to do.

Cheers