Author Topic: ST:TNG Cannon stopping rotation  (Read 228 times)

Offline The Bagwan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Point Cook - VIC
ST:TNG Cannon stopping rotation
« on: November 22, 2010, 11:49:17 PM »
Hi all,

I have a Star Trek : The next generation and it has a problem with the left cannon. The cannon will rotate to the right, but then stop whilst you can hear the motor still working. Opening up the playfield and the motor is indeed still spinning, but it doesn't seem to have enough grip on the gearing to start the cannons left rotation (which seems a bit sticky at the peak of the axis). I disassembled the gun mechanism and there isn't anywhere to tighten, the motor gearing just presses into the white plastic armature. Any help would be very much appreciated.

The Bagwan
Princess Leia : Aren't you a little fat to be a storm trooper?
Luke Skywalker : Well, stay here and rot, you stuck-up bitch.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: ST:TNG Cannon stopping rotation
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 09:29:25 AM »

Cannon assemblies are troublesome in ST TNG. I've not heard of this particular issue, 90% of the problems are in the wiring looms that feed through to the sensors, plunger etc. I'd be checking the "home" switch in the switch diagnostics and then check the lugs on the motor to see if they have a good solder connection. The gears should have no lubrication on them as it will bind the mechanism and cause friction.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline The Bagwan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Point Cook - VIC
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 03:24:42 PM »
In case any one has the same issue, I drilled a hole in the short plastic arm that attaches to the motor and inserted a pin through it and the motor gearing rotar. It now has the grip to swing the arm around. The motor is still straining trying to get the cannon to swing back in place, but at least its working. I don't know why the plastic arms aren't pre-drilled.
Princess Leia : Aren't you a little fat to be a storm trooper?
Luke Skywalker : Well, stay here and rot, you stuck-up bitch.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 05:24:21 PM »
i know the part you are talking about, my next gen has pins through the plastic and shaft but the replacement i bought has no hole.
the manual lists the roll pins as standard. I damaged one of the pins so i bought a new one from repco.
I can't remember the size of the roll pin but it's in the manual. and none of the australian pinball part suppliers carried the correct size.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)