Aussie Pinball Forums > Restorations

Terminator 2 playfield resto - Part II

(1/25) > >>

MartyJ:
Hi Guys,

OK, this is the second time around on my T2 PF.  The first I documented on AA.  Basically the PF was sound, no major paint wear but the inserts were badly worn, lifting, missing and not good.  The operator at some stage had put mylar over it, which I think saved further damage thankfully.  The machine was purchased AS IS - at a very good price so these issues were well known.  I put a decal kit on, but I was dissapointed with the actual inserts - as all the white highlighting was not on them, which made them very dull.  I was also missing the shoulder / collar bone bits on the T2 in the middle.  At the time, I just wanted to get the game playing so I put down some mylar over the decals (lower half of PF) and away we go.

Nearly 12 months on, and after nearly selling her, I've decided to give it another go - with a little bit more experience under my belt and now this place up and running hopefully I can get her back to nearly new.

Sooo, today I started stripping the PF and have removed the old new mylar and decals.  Thankfully, the new old mylar was a cheapish one / or they just don't make it the same.  It came off very well - although it helps with diamond coat underneith)....I will continue to strip rest of PF.  There is some further factory mylar around pop bumpers etc, so I will be super careful around here as it might be day 1 stuff. 

It now needs a better clean too, so it will be scrubbed up perfect before the next move...There is some 'scarring' on the green multiply (x) inserts.  Previously where the original stuff had broken away you can still see the wear mark on it.  I did give it a very light sand before the new decals went on, but didn't help.  If anyone has some advise in this area I would appreciate it.  IF I can avoid replacing them that is my preference....

I've emailed Marco's to try to find out about the decals.  IF my previous were a bad batch - then so be it and I will order another set to go on again.  With some help, hopefully I can rebuild / decal the shoulders which will solve another problem.  I will need to paint around the teeth as the decal does not cover the entire area either??

I will post further updates as I go...Hopefully may inspire those other members here to finish their T2's as well!!  ^^^

As far as the finished product goes - I think putting a clear coat on would be best - maybe two coats.  My panel beater friend who does my aprons for me was a bit hesitant to do the PF...So if there is someone in Melb with the skills please let me know+rough cost to clear!

Strangeways:

Great start Marty - Keep the updates coming !

#*#

Ford Fairlane:
cant wait to see th results mate. Nice!

MartyJ:
I'm looking forward to having it finished again too.  Going to take my time with this one and hopefully get it right!

Playfield is about 95% stripped.  Just have cannon and skull to go and then she is done.  Mylar around pop bumpers removed clean!  Not much glue left over from old mylar again  #*#

Now, noob question.  I will completely remove the playfield on this one.  What is the best way to do this?  I don't really want to have to completely strip underside of PF if this can be avoided.  Unlike the D.E there is no big plug for loom on underside before it goes to backbox.  Do I need to (label) each plug from PCB's then drop through box?

I'm going to order some new pop bumper bits n pieces from RTBB and some new microswitches.  Also need to get a new drop target (with decal).  I've seen them on ebay but trying to buy local if possible.

More pics tomorrow when the PF is bare and clean.

Strangeways:

Label each connector - "J121" etc - with a sharpie or permanent marker.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version