Author Topic: Flash  (Read 873 times)

Offline FirePower

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Flash
« on: December 18, 2010, 06:57:58 PM »
Anyone who reads my posts is probably aware that my area of interest is Williams SS pins, I have a few and these were the pins I recall from my youth and I'd always fancied a Flash - a good player and with some historical significance.  Continuous background sound (music if you're being generous!), first to have adjustability through coin door, Steve Ritchies' first design for WMS said to have put the company on solid financial footing and so on.  Some knock the artwork as being primitive, but I quite like it.

I'd had my eye out for one for a while and had looked at a few, the usual overpriced rubbish - oops I mean gems on ebay and a few that fell through, anyway it was a very popular machine with many made so they pop up often and not so long ago a project turned up on ebay. It had decent pictures, was accurately described and was being sold by Illawarra_Steelers. I'd read his posts when he was active on this forum and had heard enough people speak well of him to not hesitate grabbing it. He is a nice bloke and was really easy to deal with and I wouldn't hesitate recommending him to anyone or buying again from him.

It was sold as non working project and so I'll tell what I'm doing with it.  I don't and can't aim for the highest quality of work as is commonly being seen around here but I seek to achieve a clean working, reliable machine that wont deteriorate further.  It's a pretty good base to start with, initial condition report;

- cab ok a bit battered around but not too bad, worst thing was some nong had mounted a power point on the side - why do people do such stupid things as this?  The rear panel of the cab is a bit stuffed and the chip board is breaking up. Grubby with some scratches and wear. Coin door ok with coin mechs and legs chromed but very rust speckled.

- some misadventure to the wiring harness around the line filter. Looks like it has been in flames at some stage, with burnt wood and patches and tape on the harness itself.

- play field ok. Some wear about 10c piece size to wood around the Super Flash lamp and a bit of a scrape near the end of the upper flipper.  A few inserts loose and the Super Flash was scratched and mildly dished. Wear to wood around the lower bumper.  Had been covered in contact - I think it's contact because it's softer than mylar and comes off a bit easier.  Some tearing and wear above the three inline star rollovers and under the eject hole. The contact seems to have taken some colour from some of the inserts, was lifting in a few spots and had some grubbiness around the edges.  The contact has done a good job of protecting the play field - in those sections where the pf is not covered the paint is cracking and flaking a bit.

- the usual broken lane guides and cracked plastic bits and missing the top left corner plastic - please let me know if anybody has one?  An array of wrong coloured roll overs were in place and all the posts were red - this didn't look right to me but after some web surfing it seems quite a few Flash's have red posts rather than the blue I would have thought.

- under the play field some obvious dramas to some burnt coils on the drops which were not moving freely. Some missing coil diodes and butchered switches and a dodgy bit of welding / bodging to the bumper ring rod.

- boards - wasn't running when I got it and clearly has some issues. The mpu is a sys 4 with some minor corrosion and the driver has at least one blown final driver transistor.  The display units are popping off the circuit boards in a few cases.

- Back Glass is good, some mild fade in the red but pretty solid and better than most.

All up a pretty good base to begin with.  I didn't try to get it going before fixing up because I thought I'd play it too much so it was straight into stripping it down.

A few pictures as received and I'll update progess as I go.

Offline Bayview

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Hervey Bay. Qld.
Re: Flash
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 08:04:29 PM »
Ok, well it sounds like you have some work in front of you, but at least you have it and are able to sort through the issues. Better than not having it ^^^
You wouldn't get a bad buy from Tony, I have bought 3 pins off him to date. Great bloke.
Look for forward to you fixing it up.
Cheers
Ya just gotta luv an EM.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 08:18:30 PM »
Looks great and I love the Flash artwork myself.

The flames around the line filter are more than likely from the varistor exploding. I just replaced one on mine that had split and bellowed and it also splattered the cabinet a little.

Worth replacing as it does provide some power surge/lightning strike protection.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 09:34:25 PM »
Any chance of a pic if the power point on the side of the cabinet?? Is a bizarre add on and im itching to see it

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 11:40:58 PM »
+1 for the cab pics and the power point mod!! I've never heard of or seen that done before

Looking forward to seeing your progress with this one, my own Flash is still sitting in the corner of the garage, and your thread might light a fire under my arse to start on my own Flash *%*
Im jealous, your backglass looks much better than mine!! reds and yellows are badly faded on mine !!!

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 09:41:59 AM »
A picture of the extra, external service outlet!  Cunningly arranged so that it is fused by the pin main inlet fuse, but not switched by the pin on / off switch.  I'd guess it was used to feed an adjacent pin?  Generally the internal service outlet on a pin is fed directly from the line in before the fuse - this makes some sense as you can then work on the pin using the service outlet  with the pin turned off or with line filter / varistor problems (by removing the pin main fuse).

and Mitch, I thought I'd start mine before you came along and showed how it should be done  %.%

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 11:15:40 AM »
Looks like a great base to start from Dave.
That BG looks really good.
Looking forward to watching your progress with this one.

Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 11:32:45 AM »
Love the solid reds in the backglass, I think I've only seen really faded ones for sale for ages, great score!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 09:15:37 PM »
I stripped the play field, removed all posts, rails and mechanisms, lots of photos and labelling as I went. Anywhere the contact was lifting or dodgy I removed it and tried to trim it back to a natural line, I do not want to remove it everywhere as it is basically ok.  Removed all the loose and wrong coloured inserts and set about patching the wear areas.  I used K&H stop putty for the gouges to wood, it seems to work pretty well - easy to apply, dries quickly and can be sanded with a little block to make it flat.

Fortunately Flash is a popular machine and there is a play field decal for the common wear area and I bought this. It covers the whole circular bonus area, which was too much for me so after filling the play field I used some tracing paper to narrow down the area and then trimmed the decal down a bit. I was worried the dark colour of the putty may show through so I touched up the colour to try and match the general cream colour of the play field.  The decal lines up ok, probably stands out more in the pictures than to the eye. Time will tell if the ball deviates on the edge - with your finger you can feel a slight edge.  All up it looks a lot better than the bare wood that was present and hopefully no more wear will occur.

Offline howzat

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 04:40:37 PM »
I have to agree Flash is a great game It was usually 1st to get my 20c  It use to sit beside Stella wars    I only wish I had one beside mine 

Your b/g looks nice and I also think the art work is cool    Looking fwd to more post   Howzat @@*

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 10:09:27 AM »
A bit of work around one the lower bumper.

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 10:12:55 AM »
Some touch up to the girls face which had a small flipper scape.  I just coloured it then covered with a mylar patch, mainly I wanted to stop it getting any worse.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 10:42:28 AM »

Looking good. Flash is my favorite SYS6 machine. Onve you get it going, you will be rewarded for your hard work. What a player !

Now you mentioned you will be partially removing the contact.  Not trying to persuade you to remove "all of it" it, just mentioning that under the contact could be a really nice playfield.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 11:10:30 AM »

Looking good. Flash is my favorite SYS6 machine. Onve you get it going, you will be rewarded for your hard work. What a player !

Now you mentioned you will be partially removing the contact.  Not trying to persuade you to remove "all of it" it, just mentioning that under the contact could be a really nice playfield.

You might be right Nino, but a previous experience with mylar removal has left me both scared and scarred. I'm pretty sure this is contact and the bits I pulled off have come up nicely, but there are a few areas where a bit of planking seems to be held down and I'd prefer not to lift it all. I don't really fancy covering the whole playfield again and don't want to make things worse.  I will put small mylar patches to cover my touch ups and repairs. The bits I'm doing are making small but significant improvements - at least I think so %.%

A couple of before and after pics where I have been removing the contact.  Still some glue residue to remove from the inserts by the eject hole.

Offline PinPal

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 12:23:43 AM »
Nice work on youre Flash,, I just aqwired one myself.  Playfeild needed a bit of work and my Back Glass is ok but not as good as youres. I have the same wear spot next to the lower pop bumper as youres, must have been comen with this game.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 12:30:08 AM by PinPal »