Author Topic: How wet is it in Qld?  (Read 442 times)

Offline 48

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
How wet is it in Qld?
« on: December 30, 2010, 03:45:25 PM »
Just got back from a week visiting the relos in SEQ.
How much rain have you guys had to put up with hey?
Pretty well non-stop since I was up there, eased a little yesterday.
My hats off to anyone who can put up with that humidity too, Mrs 48 is asthmatic and I was starting to wonder if
a trip to hospital was on the cards. Touch and go for a while there, all is OK now though.

The damage from heavy rain and floodwaters where I was is very bad, I can only imagine what the guys up further are going through. Hopefully no-one here has had any of their possessions destroyed esp their machines.

Our thoughts are with any of forum members who may be experiencing difficulties with the inclement weather.
Lets go Brandon!

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: How wet is it in Qld?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 04:02:17 PM »
I live in top of a big F**k off hill, but weve had the gutters back up and the rain go inside the walls and out the top of the door frame.. crazy stuff!

Hasnt been that humid in SEQ this year.. in fact had some really cool nights, normally im sweating my arse off around now.
But yes... been a bit wet, but in all honesty QLD should expect this from time to time.. its why the houses are on stilts ( well one of em anyway).
 But people forget and we had a long dry.. then a housing boom saw a lot of the flood plains built on as they had dried up... all those people who bought overpriced low level brick ovens with smart black roofs and air con.... gee... theyd be suffering right now

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re: How wet is it in Qld?
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 10:16:13 PM »
We've had 475mm in the last 10 days just south of Townsville, but as Retropin said, you have to expect this living in the tropics.

This was straight out my back door at the start of one of the storms, at one stage, water was just lapping the concrete in the foreground, which is the lower edge of our house slab, but about another 50 or 60mm before it came into the downstairs section of the house, but it would have to be a huge event for this, and thats why pinnies are on legs!

The rain also brings plenty of cane toads from every direction!!

Now the challenge is for it to dry out long enough to mow, with still heaps of puddles, lots of cane toad tadpoles in these puddles, and the rest of the place just mud and slop!

I came from Orange originally, and living here is soooo much better - shorts every day to work, yeah the humidity knocks you, but i acclimatised pretty quickly - in fact, the balinese gazebo in the picture was built in Feburary one year - 35 degrees and 90% humidity, but you get used to it!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 10:24:42 PM by robm »