Author Topic: Floods - Brisbane  (Read 633 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Floods - Brisbane
« on: January 11, 2011, 03:05:18 PM »
Just come back from my shop where ive been moving as many perishables as possible onto tables etc. Brisbane predicted to definately flood today and tomorrow and my shop backs onto a creek!

Not looking good for us so far... king tide on Brisbane river - continual torrential rain and Wivenhoe dam at 140% capacity... water will be released to ease the pressure... some of this will wash straight down the Brisbane river which is already swollen and lapping the road at Coronation Drive.
West End, Fortitude Valley, Teneriffe, CBD, Stones Corner,Yeronga, fairfield, Rocklea, Murrarie all expecting flood.. West End being evacuated now.

I live on top of a big hill and 80% of Brisbane would have to go under before it laps my door... ill never curse that hill again!

Will be a few pinballs under water soon.

Far out.... scary shit!

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Floods - Brisbane
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 03:15:18 PM »
Not good mate my fingers are crossed for you Gav

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 03:20:10 PM »
The magnitude of this has really been drummed home for me by the Toowoomba flash flood. Somehow it didn't seem so real until today, even though I was up there on the Gold Coast a week ago, even then with all the rain it didn't really register just how bad it was.

Hope everyone in the region is spared as much as possible.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 03:44:04 PM »
Terrible situation for all those effected.
Some shocking vids on the news lately watching cars surfing down the road.
Hope all is well Gav and anyone else in the flooded areas

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 06:53:47 PM »
I'm 1/2 way between Brisbane and the Gold Coast actually just down the road from the Carlton and United Breweries and all is good down here.

Terrible situation for lots of queenslanders I hope your shop doesn't get flooded out Gav, good luck mate.
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline tonyt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 08:32:17 PM »
All the best Gav, terrible situation for all concerned.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 09:21:27 PM »

Terrible disaster. My thoughts are with all Queenslanders - Hopefully it will subside soon with minimal loss.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
  • There's no law against having fun, just yet!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 09:22:10 PM »
Good luck Gav.

Thinking of you all up there.

Keep those brilliant stencils out of the water mate!

J.D.
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 09:45:04 PM »
We'll see what happens.... its a bit hard getting information  thats actually useful.. but a projected flood forecast has the road my shop is on flooded at the creek... apparently this didnt go under in 74.
I do have termites in the steps outside so maybe i can drown these buggers off. %.% %.%

Most of my stuff will be OK... i have a $45000 high voltage vacuum system that weighs a  ton and cannot be moved... its an airtight set up so should be water tight also... if water gets in the 20KV transformer though i could be in trouble.
Everything is high up.. all power is off.
Peak predicted for Thursday.

Problem is that we have had rain for months now and everything is just saturated... theres no run off to the river as its at capacity already with king tides on the way.... the water that hit Toowoomba also has nowhere to go and will hit Brisbane and Ipswich soon.
There is a propensity to try and predict the worst case scenario so we can all be prepared and not su the Gov for no warnings... im hoping this will be the case here and the flood will fizzle rather than rage.

Guess Thurs night will reveal all

Cheers guys... all good!! ^^^

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 10:36:48 PM »
My sister and her family live in Toowoomba. Her husband runs a business on a street that runs into Herries St (one of the ones that turned into a river). There was some minor flooding of the shop part of the business, with the workshop area copping most of the water.

My parents live in Sandstone Point, just off the Bribie Island bridge on the mainland, and apparently Bribie Island has been cut off from the outside due to flooding of the Caboolture river and local creeks.

Also, I work for Drummond Golf and two of the stores ('Gabba and Fortitude Valley) closed at lunchtime today to evacuate. Not sure whether the Lawnton and Maroochydore sites will have to do the same or not.

So the floods have a personal element for me.

All the best, Gav, hope your shop stays dry enough!

Offline Replicas

• Forum Posts:
  • North West England
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 06:11:04 AM »
Hope you stay dry.
And anyone else in risk of flooding.
Make sure all those pin's are safe and lets hope it gets better before it gets any worse.
D.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 12:40:45 PM »
Got a phone call this morning from a mate whos shed  i often work out of... ive also got some stuff stored there.

Apparently, the shed is going to go under.. how much we dont quite know. What we do know is that in 74, the water reached the top of the roller doors. I had a GTB Jumping Jacks stored in there.

Oxley Creek runs at the back of this shed and it came up overnight. This guy parked his truck across the road so noone could drive down there cos obviously they wouldnt see all the water  !@# !@#

1/2 hr later... it was moved as the level was reaching the exhaust

Water is rising at a rate of 750mm an hour

Spent this morning clearing out the shed of anything that can be saved... CNC routers cant be moved though, so its a case of wait and see if the projected 5 metres more of water does happen and deal with whatever at the end of it all.

Is bizarre... trucks everywhere on these side roads as people clear their businesses out of what they can. None of us are insured... cant get flood insurance.
Funny though.. everyone is laughing and joking.. some are having a beer... al of us will just sit back and watch it rise slowly

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 01:49:27 PM »
Good to see the Great Wall doing its job  :D

Fingers are crossed for you all.....
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 02:11:28 PM »
I just hope everyone stays safe, pins and cars etc can be replaced. Lives can't!
We are close but looks like we won't get flooded but have made some precautions just in case beacuse the next 24hrs will be crucial. I've got some mates at fairfield who have not been so lucky, thier entire house is close to underwater and wwill be by tomorrow. Will get in and help them clean up when the water finally goes.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 07:20:54 PM »

I just watched the news and I'm shocked at how bad this flood is. The sight of Sparkies running around shutting down the CBD power grid really hits home. They say it is 4.5M at the moment and it will hit 5.5M tomorrow.

Hang in there Queenslanders.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia