Author Topic: Stencil kits  (Read 213 times)

Offline TSPP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Stencil kits
« on: January 12, 2011, 08:08:14 AM »
With the Aussie dollar so good i am thinking of buying my S&S stencil kit from the US.

Both Marco and Bay Area have them. Do i need to worry about quality or bleed through etc. Bay Area state no bleed through but being the first time im looking into this im really not sure.

Any help would be great.

Cheers.
.....something witty here

Offline Pinballace

• Forum Posts:
Re: Stencil kits
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 10:30:58 AM »
From what I heard both are from the same supplier.
The ramp business was very very good to me.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 11:47:57 AM »
detailed instructions can be found on my website for stencil application

http://www.flipperescue.com/stencils.htm

I havent used the stencils in question, but basic rules apply to any stencil.

First up is that the smoother your base coat, the better adhesion you will get. If its very smooth, then the edges of the stencil can seal and this leads to less bleed... this is mainly an issue if spraying whilst cabinet is upright as bleed can happen at the bottom of the cut out shapes.

A good look at any cabinet will reveal that the layer of paint is very thin... main flaw of any home stencil is that far too much paint is sprayed on... once again, this risks bleed.

When stencil is on.. spray 1 VERY light coat like a fine dusting... allow this to dry. Repeat again... this is all the paint you need to recreate the artwork.

Flat finish paints bleed much less than gloss.

Take your time with any registration you have. If it takes 2 days to redo the artwork, thats OK. No prizes for a quick job... only a good job.

Good luck....

Gav

Offline TSPP

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 03:42:06 PM »
Thanx for the reply guys but I wanted to know about the quality mainly. Is there anything I should be worried about. I know both are excellent and trusted sellers it's the quality of product I'm enquiring about.

And Gav, trust me mate, I won't be doing this myself. Will ask/pay for this to be done by someone else. Cheers for the info though.

Offline Pinprick

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 08:19:48 PM »
Just recently did a Strkes & Spares stencil respray.
We got caught with an OLD stock VINYL stencil set.
The vinyl was terribly stretchy and the adhesion between the actual stencil material and its backing was way too high.
Needless to say, this caused headaches with distortion during application and rendered the stencils unfit for re-use.
My research tells me the current generation of stencil sets are polyethylene which obviates these hassles.
Just so you know what to avoid.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:22:39 PM by Maxwiz »
"I don't operate on a level playing field"

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 12:05:07 AM »
From what I have heard (not 100% sure on it ) . Both Marco and BAA get their stencil kits from Jeff McAfee at Classic Arcades .

I bought a stencil kit from him for my SM$M but am yet to use it . I do know of other guys who have used his stencils with fantastic results .

Might be worth contacting Jeff at :

jeffmcafee@comcast.net

Cut out the middle man so to speak .

Offline TSPP

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 12:41:34 PM »
From what I have heard (not 100% sure on it ) . Both Marco and BAA get their stencil kits from Jeff McAfee at Classic Arcades .

I bought a stencil kit from him for my SM$M but am yet to use it . I do know of other guys who have used his stencils with fantastic results .

Might be worth contacting Jeff at :

jeffmcafee@comcast.net

Cut out the middle man so to speak .

Thank you for that  ^^^ Will track him down.

If he doesn't sell direct to me at least i know the quality of both Marco's and BAA is top notch.