Author Topic: The "Holy Grail" Pinball - Do you own it yet ?  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
The "Holy Grail" Pinball - Do you own it yet ?
« on: January 20, 2011, 02:09:55 PM »

The infamous "Holy Grail" Pinball Machine. Do you have it, or are you still looking for that elusive title ? Do you already own it and you have found that there is another title that has taken the title "Holy Grail". Can there be more than one Holy Grail title ?

Is there a "lesser" than "Holy Grail" machine that keeps the thrill of the chase in your mind ?

My prized Paragon is a machine I will never part with, and a Bally Fathom was my "Holy Grail" pinball for well over 10 years. I have owned Paragon (in the family) since new, and I've had the Fathom for 4 years. I really wanted a Bally Hot Doggin' and Embryon to complete the "set" of 1979 - 1982 Ballys. Recently, I've moved to two titles that I remembered during my childhood. Williams "Winner" and Bally "Vampire".

I guess that in my case, I've got the "holy grail" pinball, but I'm keen on unique titles (again) - but it has shifted to EMs.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: The "Holy Grail" Pinball - Do you own it yet ?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 02:38:22 PM »
My Holy Grail is a moving target of course - otherwise the hunt would eventually be over!

At one time it was AFM - had that for many years now and it still tops the charts IMO as the best DMD (others' opinions will vary).

When BBB seemed a possibility that became the Holy grail - that one game that would make me complete. Had that a few years now, and of course while it's a spectacularly great game, a new Holy Grail - Capcom Kingpin - now occupies the throne (I think the pun was intended).

The thrill is in the hunt!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 08:28:32 PM »
Yes, but it still needs some work. The shed is currently full of a money-making project for the kids which has stretched out a lot longer than I ever thought would be the case.

Offline SPURR

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 08:55:13 PM »
When I was a young bloke in the 70's down at my local arcade they had all the latest pins all set up in a line. Sitting in the middle of the line looking worst for ware was a 1965 Bank a Ball. As far as I know it was still there because it was taking in more money than all the new one's. We always had to que up to play it so this pin became my "Holy Grail".
After many years searching for one I came across one on Ebay in VIC for $2000 in better nick than the one I played as a kid years before, so I snapped it up. Here she is again.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 10:57:35 PM »
YESSS... see my KISS resto thread  :D :D :D :D  #@# #@#

Kiss was THE pin that got me hooked on pinnies. Since i started buying pins in the late 80s, it became my holy grail for that reason  *%*
And what makes it even sweeter, is the fact that THIS VERY SAME machine is one of two Kiss machines i played years ago (mine the 2nd one).. and i now know the whereabouts of that FISRT Kiss machine too that i played all those yrs ago too  *%*

For me, a "holy grail" pin is one that has had a big impact on me, one that blew me away when first played (there are several that fit that category). So Kiss, being the first machine i'd ever played, was my first holy grail, and Haunted House was the other game that blew me away when i played it, so if its possible to have more than one holy grail machine, that one would be number two  *%* *%* *%* *%*
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 10:25:12 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 11:20:25 PM »
My Holy Grail pin for 2010 was to collect the set (6x) of Sega Concaves.
(Viper Night Drivin, Star Wars Trilogy, The Lost World JP, X-Files, Spacejam, Starship Troopers)

I was lucky to purchase these during 2010 and was happy to get the set cause each of these machines are so unique and engineered differently to alot of machines before them, plus the headbox shape which is so more modern than the tired old square backbox. I also picked up a RFM and a SW Episode 1 which fell into my lap with luck.
A friend imported me a excellent GODZILLA, also a 1998 Sega machine as a surprise, and it only cost me 2 grand, which i was stoked about. That was 2010.

2011 holy grail will be to pick up a really nice Indianna Jones widebody, and maybe a Addams Family at the right price. I have saved a few of the best to last.
Any more than 35 machines and my wife might cut my balls off !

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 12:05:55 AM »
No - 1958 GTB ROCKET SHIP... still dont own it but want it.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=rocket+ship&sortby=name&searchtype=quick#1990

Then when i have it ill want another,
then when i have that one... etc etc etc

until.... i finally want 1951 GTB MINSTREL MAN...

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=minstrel+man&sortby=name&searchtype=quick#1607

have no chance in hell of getting one and seeing as "holy grails"are somewhat elusive, then i guess ill peak at this.
But for now... I WANT ROCKET SHIP!!!!!

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 03:41:36 AM »
I am not sure I would call these two 'Grail ' pinball machines, but I would like to add an original 'Fireball' to the collection and a 'Pharaoh' (to go with Balck Knight)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 09:02:13 AM »
I am not sure I would call these two 'Grail ' pinball machines, but I would like to add an original 'Fireball' to the collection and a 'Pharaoh' (to go with Balck Knight)

Fireball Em would be a worth Grail for anyone I think
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 06:29:20 PM »

Fireball Em would be a worth Grail for anyone I think
There is one on e-bay in the USA at the moment
he says he will ship to Australia

I am wondering, just how much do I want it  !*!

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 07:48:08 PM »
Go for it Pete. Ya only live once. Its good to have someone wanting to ship from the USA as well.  ^^^

If its a holy grail pin, u know u want it. Its only money.lol   BUY IT !

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 08:16:46 PM »
Its only money.

.... thats my wifes line!

Offline necroscope

• Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 08:19:03 PM »
When I was a young bloke in the 70's down at my local arcade they had all the latest pins all set up in a line. Sitting in the middle of the line looking worst for ware was a 1965 Bank a Ball. As far as I know it was still there because it was taking in more money than all the new one's. We always had to que up to play it so this pin became my "Holy Grail".
After many years searching for one I came across one on Ebay in VIC for $2000 in better nick than the one I played as a kid years before, so I snapped it up. Here she is again.

sweet lookin em spurr,has that been cleared or is it polish?

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 08:24:11 PM »
It sure looks mint doesnt it.

Maybe this is the machine Capcoms Breakshot nicked alot of ideas from when they produced that title with a beautiful playfield as well.  !@#

Offline SPURR

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 08:42:41 PM »
Here's some trivera. I can still remember some of the other machines they had at the local arcade. Klondike this also was a great game (you should know Mitch). Gottlieb Flying Carpet which I picked up a few years back (Still in the restore que). They had a stand up submarine game that you looked through a periscope and had a sonar sound effect that always ran. Any one remember this game? early 70's.
At the local servo out the back had a few pins. Gottlieb Sweet Hearts, Williams Straight Flush, Williams Super Star and one  I cant remember that had 2" zipper flippers.