Author Topic: Gottlieb System 3 DMD Issue  (Read 543 times)

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
Gottlieb System 3 DMD Issue
« on: February 02, 2011, 12:54:31 AM »
Hi all,
recently bought a Street Fighter II Gottlieb machine knowing that it had DMD issues and thought it might be something I could fix. I have 2 other Gottlieb machines so I thought I could change parts over to test. There is no picture at all on the DMD.

I've put the Street Fighter II DMD in my Freddy machine and the DMD itself works fine. I put Freddy's DMD controller board in my Street Fighter II machine, but still no picture at all on Street Fighter II. Also replaced two fuses relating to the DMD down near the power supply, but turned the game on again and still no picture on the DMD.

Have had a technician friend check over the fuses and everything is ok next to the power supply. Going to check over the DMD controller board on the weekend.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: Gottlieb System 3 DMD Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 01:02:06 AM »
Like I said with your other DMD issue - if the voltages supplying the DMD are not right it will NEVER work.....
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 01:23:34 AM »
+1 on home pin's comment

other than the high voltage have you tested for the +5 & +12 volts?

try putting the freddy rom in the SF dmd controller and then put the SFcontroller in the freddy. ( if the controller board has a rom, not sure if sys3 has display rom)
if it works then try swapping the ribbon cable over.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 01:33:49 AM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 10:52:16 PM »
Hi guys,
Pinball repair in progress.

Tested trim pot and voltage on CPU board is over the 4.95 volt and below the 5.15 volt range. Still no DMD.

Other problem is that there is no light in start button and pressing start doesn't start game anymore. The game was playable previously, just no DMD power.

Have also tested all fuses in cabinet.

Thanks in advance,
Adam.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 11:45:57 PM »
Double check that all of the connectors have been re-connected and put back in the right place - by that I mean make sure that one of the connectors isn't one pin to the left or right.  It is easy to miss a connector when you have been swapping boards over.   #@#
Addicted to pins.

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 12:59:49 AM »
Getting issues ticked off...

Got game to start and audio works, but balls won't shoot out.

Checked under playfield and F25 fuse keeps blowing. On further inspection, two green solenoids under left and right gates are locked on. Right gate solenoid has been freed, but left gate is jammed on. Solenoid has gone from a green to an orange-brown burned colour. Porcelain capacitor near solenoid has also broken off.

Gottlieb A-27643 solenoid now needs to be replaced and will get another porcelain 500v capacitor before work continues on Street Fighter II.

Can I buy these solenoids in Australia?

Any other repair suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 08:56:43 AM »
They're a flipper style coil (two windings), low power overall and a hold like that with a flipper for the up position. Similar to the ones used in Stargate to lift the Horus etc targets. I had to get the SG one from PBR as couldn't find any locally being a coil not commonly used.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline squidgebub

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 12:35:42 PM »
Any luck BeLarge? A friend of mine has the same pin and from what you describe is having similar issues. Will be very interested if you manage to sort it out. Cheers.

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 08:58:45 PM »
Any luck BeLarge? A friend of mine has the same pin and from what you describe is having similar issues. Will be very interested if you manage to sort it out. Cheers.

haha well if it isn't my new chief pinball repairman. Did you sign up to flex your pin-muscle with the big dogs?

New coils are on order from Marcos. The waiting game begins...

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 08:22:03 PM »
All my parts arrived and Street Fighter II is now operational once more, but still no DMD...it seems like I'm now back to square one when I bought the machine.

Replaced the burned out coil (operated the gate on the left ramp) over the weekend. The old one had melted and you could no longer see through the middle of it. Also replaced a couple of burned out fuses and the game seems to be playing nicely....just no dot matrix display that shows any flicker of life.

I noticed that a 3/8 amp 250v slow blow fuse had a 1/4 amp 250v slow blow fuse in its place. I will hopefully buy a replacement fuse for it tomorrow. This fuse was located in the bottom of the cabinet next to the power supply and was one of two fuses that related to the DMD. What happens when you put a fuse with an amp description that doesn't match?

Thanks,
Adam.

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 08:26:11 PM »
I noticed that a 3/8 amp 250v slow blow fuse had a 1/4 amp 250v slow blow fuse in its place. I will hopefully buy a replacement fuse for it tomorrow. This fuse was located in the bottom of the cabinet next to the power supply and was one of two fuses that related to the DMD. What happens when you put a fuse with an amp de******ion that doesn't match?

Thanks,
Adam.

Usually bad things happen!!

But in this case the the fuse is underrated and so I imagine it is OK, just more likely to blow than the properly specced part.

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 10:52:49 PM »
Well, another night of Street Fighter II repair and feel like we're almost there.

Fuses are in place and match. Game plays as it should, but no life whatsoever in the DMD.

Friends are over and we've tested the SFII DMD in my Freddy machine. DMD works. Tested the DMD driver board in Freddy and it also works. When we tested the Street Fighter DMD driver board in Freddy, the Freddy game played with SFII images and prompts. Can safely say the DMD driver board is working.

Tested Auxilliary power supply in Freddy and it works and also tested the power supply board ant it works.

Finally tested CPU board in Freddy and Freddy worked.

Tested DMD driver board, auxilliary power supply, power supply board and CPU board in SFII and still the DMD did not illuminate at all.

Not sure where to go to from here. Apprehensive about putting the sound boards from SFII in Freddy in case we fry something.

Also transferred all ribbon cables to Freddy machine and it worked as normal. SFII DMD still wouldn't work with the Freddy ribbon cables.

Need to know the voltages for each pin on the DMD panel and trace them back. Does anyone know the voltage for each pin?

Summary for the night:

Tested in Freddy (from SFII)
=======================
DMD Controller (A8) - working
CPU (A1) - working
Auxilliary Power Supply (A5) - working
Power Supply (A2) - working

All ribbon cables - working
Dot Matrix Display - working

Not tested in Freddy (from SFII)
========================
Aux Sound Board (A20)