Author Topic: HELP - Gottlieb Volley must be finished by 14th April  (Read 7455 times)

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Re: HELP - Gottlieb Volley must be finished by 14th April
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2011, 04:26:43 PM »
Wow, thanks mate, I can give you the headbox to you to show him, or word him up and I'll pop in early next week  ^^^

Either way - let me know which and I'll organise. More than happy to take the head box in and sort, glad to help (seeing I encouraged you to do this on the other thread!!)

Well, to save time if he is working monday, give him the heads up and I'll take it in to him.  Let me know if it suits  ^^^

For sure, I'm seeing him Sunday for dinner, so I'll check when he's taking lunch so you can avoid then.

Thanks mate, just send me a PM with all the details and I'll pop in whenever it suits him

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2011, 09:20:18 PM »
Thanks mate, just send me a PM with all the details and I'll pop in whenever it suits him

All organised Mat, I'll PM the info.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2011, 01:19:34 AM »
To strip the old paint, use citris strip from bunnings. It does not stink and washes out with water. I've stripped cabs in less than 2 hours.

I have stripped back paint with citris strip, what do I need to wipe away excess residue, I just used a wet rag after I scraped all the paint off, is that enough or will it bleed back through the new paint?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2011, 01:33:55 PM »
To strip the old paint, use citris strip from bunnings. It does not stink and washes out with water. I've stripped cabs in less than 2 hours.

I have stripped back paint with citris strip, what do I need to wipe away excess residue, I just used a wet rag after I scraped all the paint off, is that enough or will it bleed back through the new paint?

Damp rag. You don't want to "wet" the cabinet.  I use a scraper and once all the residue is gone, leave the cab out in the sun for a few hours. Then you can start prepping - sanding etc. I would not be priming/undercoating until the can is completely dry.

Post some pics, Matt ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2011, 11:10:28 PM »

Damp rag. You don't want to "wet" the cabinet.  I use a scraper and once all the residue is gone, leave the cab out in the sun for a few hours. Then you can start prepping - sanding etc. I would not be priming/undercoating until the can is completely dry.

Post some pics, Matt ?

Yeah I was definately going to wait until all dry, I'll post some pics when I get a chance

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2011, 11:02:20 PM »

Parts ordered !

Should be here within 10 working days  ^^^

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2011, 02:06:49 PM »
Thanks Nino  ^^^

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2011, 02:12:17 PM »
Big thanks to Nick, I popped down to see his brother to get all my paints colour matched, when I went back to pick up and pay for the paints he told me Nick had sorted it out for me!  Thank you mate, I really appreciate it  *%*

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2011, 06:19:14 PM »
Paint stripping finished.

I was playing around testing out some webbing techniques today, and think I'll use my spray gun turned down and opened up.  It gives a perfect web same as original and is easier to apply evenly, compared to a wire brush or toothbrush. 
I think I'll have to lay down a coat of clear after the webbing before the stencils though, as I think the stencil paper would remove some of the webs as they are very light and 'wispy'.
Still a while away from that though, its elbow grease time first, rubbing back the cab and filling scratches

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2011, 06:22:49 PM »
Question 8,
I realise the side rails were a 'brushed' finish, but what finish was the coin door and lock down bar?
I'd expect the lock down to be a polished finished as it was chrome not stainless, but unsure of the coin door.

Offline oldpins

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2011, 07:03:16 PM »
I have a GTB 'Golden Arrow' 1977 which has the same door, coin entrances and lockdown bar. Both are polished SS. Looking on the IPD seems 'Volley' is the same.

Greg

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2011, 07:30:31 PM »

Personal choice.

My Jacks Open front door and lock down bar were factory "grained". I simply regrained them. Restore thread is here - http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=820.0

The inside of the door was chrome, outside skin was not. The door frame was aluminium, which I polished with Brasso and a toothbrush.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2011, 09:07:28 PM »
Big thanks to Nick, I popped down to see his brother to get all my paints colour matched, when I went back to pick up and pay for the paints he told me Nick had sorted it out for me!  Thank you mate, I really appreciate it  *%*

My pleasure mate, I really appreciated the ramp and bracket you made for the HH restore, glad I could contribute to your restoration.

Any chance of a play test before you hand it over??  :D
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2011, 09:30:12 AM »
I'm sure we could squeeze in a test play somewhere mate  *%*

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2011, 11:31:15 AM »
Well after more than 10 hours of filling, sanding, filling, sanding, filling, sanding.....
undercoat, spot putty, sand, spot putty, sand....

She finally has some undercoat.

The body was fairly good had a few nicks and scratches, but the head had serious planking, both sides and top, very deep, had to spend heaps of time on it, after I thought it was ok I got the first undercoat on it, it was still bad, I spot filled the whole surface of both sides and sanded back, spot putty again lots more sanding, then 3 coats of primer, smoooth!  ()
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:33:01 AM by ktm450 »