Author Topic: OpenSource GTB Power Bumper Driver Board  (Read 497 times)

Offline zitt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
OpenSource GTB Power Bumper Driver Board
« on: November 07, 2010, 02:03:23 PM »
I just finished the design of A New half-sized Pop Bumper Driver Board intended to be a drop in replacement for the original System 80 Gottlieb design. Fixes many of the design issues present in the original design including many Best Known Methods posted @ Pinrepair.com.

I have decided to release this design under to the public under the TAPR Non-Commercial Open Hardware License which indicates:

You may make products based upon this design, provided you do not make more than ten units in any twelve month period for your personal use.

BOM costs are under $11 not including the PCB. The PCBs are less than $28 from batchpcb.com and a link is included in my Blog post.

Please check it out at:
http://pinball-mods.com/blogs/?p=4

The rest of the site is not complete; so please make sure you use the link above.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: OpenSource GTB Power Bumper Driver Board
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 08:27:29 AM »
Nice one! It is always a good thing to find alternatives that aren't too expensive.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 10:13:52 AM »
I think it looks great and would be a perfect replacement supplied as a factory assembled unit. I really don't think the average pinball hobbyist is ready for surface mount.

My replacement board fits into the exact screw holes of the original - uses easily available through hole parts that can be bought anywhere but adds a microprocessor so that bumper timing is adjustable and allowing a power up delay. It comes either built and tested or as a DIY kit.

It also includes a test switch (to fire the PB) so that fine tuning of the mechanism can be made while the PF is lifted.

www.homepin.com/pics/gott_replacement.jpg
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 10:15:26 AM by Homepin »
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline zitt

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »
I think it looks great and would be a perfect replacement supplied as a factory assembled unit. I really don't think the average pinball hobbyist is ready for surface mount.
Fair - I'm a hobbyist and do surface mount as a rule now. Just easier to assemble IMHO.
I may redo the design one day in thru hole - but as you indicated; there are other replacement boards out there.

My replacement board fits into the exact screw holes of the original - uses easily available through hole parts that can be bought anywhere but adds a microprocessor so that bumper timing is adjustable and allowing a power up delay. It comes either built and tested or as a DIY kit.

It also includes a test switch (to fire the PB) so that fine tuning of the mechanism can be made while the PF is lifted.

Good ideas - but for the moment i went for low cost. I had no idea your design existed; but it goes to show that their are more than one way to solve the existing problem. Microcontroller is a bit of an overkill; IMHO - but certainly makes for a flexible design.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 06:07:36 PM by zitt »

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 06:21:54 PM »

Microcontroller is a bit of an overkill; IMHO - but certainly makes for a flexible design.

I would have agreed a few years ago but these days a microcontroller is less than the cost of discreet I.C's and so it make sense to use one at $2.50 each - it also cuts down on stock held as they are not "project specific" and can be programmed as required for the job at hand.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline zitt

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 06:24:42 PM »
How is $2.40 less than $0.80?
Like I said - your design is fine - just not sure it warrants a microcontroller.

I do like your opto isolation idea.