Author Topic: Pcb's ain't pcb's  (Read 192 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Pcb's ain't pcb's
« on: February 19, 2011, 10:43:17 PM »
I know that CPU circuit boards aren't necessarily interchangable in Williams/Bally games ie. Wpc89 and wpcs. But how about other pcb's from this maker? Would a wpc95 work on say a theatre of magic wpcs or T2 wpc89 or the 10 opto pcb on a TZ go with a P2000 swep1?

If some boards can be interchanged, knowing which ones would assist in future problem solving.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Pcb's ain't pcb's
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 10:49:32 AM »
Eg, will a driver board from a later (or earlier) WPC system work in the other? Good topic, would be handy to know.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 02:40:56 PM »
Rob,

Its a tough question and with PCB's you have to be extra careful as damage can occur easily.

For me I always check the actual part number in both manuals and a quick search on RGP to research others experiences.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 10:28:32 PM »

Usually the answer is "no". There are different generation WPC boards that work in different configurations. A lot can be learned from Clay's guide ;

http://www.pinrepair.com/wpc/index1.htm#gen

I refer to this for the different versions and ALWAYS consult the manuals. I would NEVER swap out a board from one machine to another without checking first.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline andrew (nob)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 12:13:45 PM »
I know that CPU circuit boards aren't necessarily interchangable in Williams/Bally games ie. Wpc89 and wpcs. But how about other pcb's from this maker? Would a wpc95 work on say a theatre of magic wpcs or T2 wpc89 or the 10 opto pcb on a TZ go with a P2000 swep1?

If some boards can be interchanged, knowing which ones would assist in future problem solving.

I've got 5 WPC89 machines that i swap both CPU and power/driver boards with on a semi regular basis. I haven't had any issues with swapping boards within a family. The only thing I've found to keep an eye on is most fliptronics machines are missing the flipper power circuit on the power/driver board. My Fishtales, which is fliptronic, did include this circuitry so it became a donor for my non fliptronics T2.

The biggest issue i've had (and i'm sure everyone has) is unhacking GI plugs/connectors that have been changed or even soldered straight onto the board. Sigh.

I've only got one WPC95 machine, and since the rottendog boards for WPC89 and WPC95 are different I wouldnt trust CPU or P/D boards from one in the other.

andrew
(T2, Hurricane, Fishtales, Indiana Jones, Demolition Man)