Author Topic: Buying Pinball Machines from the US  (Read 711 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Buying Pinball Machines from the US
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 10:49:08 PM »

I totally agree with Brett and Marty. The market is flooded and the buyer dictates the price. Buyers are smarter with their money and they won't part with it easily. Therefore, they are doing their research. The niche market of "high end restores" is becoming more and more the most active part of the sales market. I predicted this over 12 months ago. Competition is thriving.

Gone are the days of "nifti in one hand, rag in the other". Buyers want value for money or they walk to the next seller.

eBay pin prices are more "comic relief" relying on the wood ducks !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Richyrich

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Mansfield, VIC.
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 09:17:35 PM »
I have bought in several pins from the States and the Uk
Never had a problem
Saved thousands buy doing this and would happily do it again
You do need to do your homework on the seller,though

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 01:59:12 PM »
I have been looking around of recent times, and the $1500 to $2500 market is just the best at the moment. That money gets u so many very nice machines.  ^^^

It is a buyers market for sure. I have always had the opinion of-
" let someone else do all the hardwork with importing containers, let them have the sleepless nights, let them have the duties, taxes, fumigation costs etc, and when the container arrives, you rock up with cash, pay them an extra say $500 than what it owes them, then u walk away with a bargain ". Everyone wins.

I did this with 30 plus machines over a 2 year period, and i scored bargains galore. I could have imported my own full container, but why take the risks when i can pick the guts out of all those nice containers, and i didnt lose an inch of sleep, I saved a heap of money, and every pin i picked was a keeper".

I could sell all the titles and easily get all my money back plus profit, but i didnt buy to ever sell, but its nice to know incase i got hit by a truck and my wife wanted to get rich and cash in my pinballs.

The $1500 to $2500 market is absolutely the best it has ever been in Australia's pinball history i reckon, so shop locally, support someone who is bringing in a container and
grab a bargain. There are sooo many great pins for sale at the moment with more titles coming in every week.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 07:27:23 PM »

The $1500 to $2500 market is absolutely the best it has ever been in Australia's pinball history i reckon, so shop locally, support someone who is bringing in a container and
grab a bargain. There are sooo many great pins for sale at the moment with more titles coming in every week.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

In the late 80's and early 90's these would have been the prices for the following titles ;

KISS $600
Mata Hari $350
Harlem Globetrotters $300
Rolling Stones $400
Captain Fantastic $150

Now that was considered expensive in those times, but let's remember that a NIB KISS cost US$600 - $700. My Paragon NIB cost US$750. I have the price lists in front of me, and in those days, machines cost PEANUTS. Operators could not get rid of them quick enough. I know in the EARLY 90's - My old man was selling Mata Haris, Globetrotters, Eight Balls for $250 Each.

Relatively, you are correct, the market is GREAT for buyers NOW, but I remember the old days when pinballs were given away or thrown away. I STILL have nightmares of the GTB SYS1 games, WMS SYS4/6 and Bally bingos been thrown from the back of the truck.

But the market will change again, it goes in cycles.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 07:37:42 PM »
Nino, I like what you have written. You were lucky enough to be involved heavily in pinball from an early age, and have a very extensive pinball history/knowledge compared to alot of us.

I wish i had of started collecting 5 yrs ago instead of 2 n a half yrs ago. I would have 120 machines instead of 30. lol

The prices today are pretty good if u study the market and contact 20 sellers and ask about the same title, condition and availability.

Its about hunting down who has what, how long they have had it, and target/buy machines that are not on everyone elses "hot" list.  ^^^

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 10:45:09 PM »

Thanks for the kind comments, Brett. I have a passion for pinball machines which is definitely an obsession. I have tons of history that I will share in time - I recently found the GE "insurance" forms Dad used when he insured his containers from overseas. Just unbelieveable. My biggest hope is that Dad's story will be recorded in print. The stories of walking up and down the isles of the Gottlieb factory in 1974-76. I digress..

NOW is the time to be buying machines - especially from the USA. If you are "ever" going to do it - think about it now because this window of opportunity will not last forever !