Author Topic: Steve Ritchie back to Stern?  (Read 291 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Steve Ritchie back to Stern?
« on: February 28, 2011, 06:32:51 PM »
"Steve Ritchie moving back to Chicago to work " is the thread topic over at RGP, and it's become a popular and wildly speculative one that his new job is at Stern (well, return to old job I suppose).

Funnily enough Jersey Jack dropped into the thread to take some focus for himself with some OT posts, so that seemed a bit odd.

No idea if this is true yet, but I'm sure it will come out sooner or later.

Interesting times ahead with WoZ and maybe a Stern fight back with SR?
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Ant68

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Re: Steve Ritchie back to Stern?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 08:56:42 PM »
I read that one Nick , very interesting indeed .
I reckon Steve will end up there along with Pat Lawlor , happy times ahead .
Here's the thread for thoughs who have an hour spare

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/bd42492edded8ae3/66eb26aa6ba96d81

Stern's maybe getting a shake up , I reckon good things are happening right now in there factory , by years end there'll be a cracker .Just before WOZ release.
The more info Jack releases the amo Gary gets .
Let the games begin .
I'll drop Gary a line and see what he comes back with .

From RGP
The word is the investors of Stern hired Steve back, not Gary.
Facebook is a valuable tool whether some here dislike it or not.
A month ago a topic question was posted "who is your favorite
designer" ? Steve got the top props.
Simple, ask your fans and followers what they want and it all
transcends back to the companies sales profits.
Sell a product that customers want.
We have JJP to thank for shaking things up and I see positive things
happening in both companies. Competition is great for business.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 09:00:04 PM by Ant68 »

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 11:07:43 PM »
Competition is not great for business, but it is great for consumers, hopefully there is some truth to the rumors

Offline Ant68

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 09:32:40 AM »
Steve Ritchie back at Stern
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...117230863.html

World's Only Maker of Arcade Pinball Games Welcomes Steve Ritchie, Game Innovator and Designer

MELROSE PARK, Ill., March 2, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Stern Pinball, Inc., the world's only maker of real pinball games, announced today game designer Steve Ritchie will be joining the Stern Pinball team. Ritchie is often referred to in the gaming world as the "The King of Pinball" and "The King of Flow" for his quick paced pinball games utilizing shot-based flow patterns mixed with target-based geometry.

Ritchie has been designing pinball games since the 1970s, producing such notable titles as Superman, Stellar Wars, Black Knight and Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Ritchie was the first designer to incorporate multiball game play, ball lane change, transparent playing fields, as well as the first multi-level pinball machine. Ritchie had previously been contracted by Stern Pinball in 2001 to design eight machines including Elvis, Spider-Man and Terminator 3.

"I am elated to bring my 30 years of design and game experience to Stern Pinball and work as part of the new Stern team," said game designer Steve Ritchie. "I am honored to work with Gary Stern and Dave Peterson, along with the talented Stern staff on an exciting new chapter in pinball history. Long Live Pinball!"

"We are all very excited about Steve's arrival at Stern," said Gary Stern, founder, CEO and chairman of Stern Pinball. "Steve's expertise in the art of pinball design and imaginative work will take our machines and game design to a whole new level. Our goal at Stern is to continually push the envelope of what is possible and has never been done. Steve's work is on par with that vision."

Steve Ritchie joins the Stern Pinball and the Stern family tradition of producing quality pinball machines for young and old. The company traces its lineage to Philadelphia in the 1930s when Sam Stern entered the business of operating pinball games. Stern passed his lifelong enthusiasm for the game and the business of pinball to his son Gary Stern who founded Stern Pinball. Today pinball remains one of America's favorite pastimes.

About Stern Pinball

Stern Pinball, Inc., located just outside Chicago, Illinois, designs and manufactures arcade-quality pinball games. Stern is the only maker of full-sized, arcade quality pinball games on the planet and has released many popular games, including Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones, Shrek, Batman, Spiderman, the Simpsons Pinball Party and many more. Stern's games continue to be enjoyed by both pinball enthusiasts and casual players around the globe. For more information visit www.sternpinball.com.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 10:12:18 AM »

Note to Gary Stern - Please leave the design work to Steve Richie and team. No shortcuts or cost cutting, let the man do his job !

There seems to be a healthy revival of Pinball in the USA.  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 01:13:51 PM »

Note to Gary Stern - Please leave the design work to Steve Richie and team. No shortcuts or cost cutting, let the man do his job !

+1
Would have loved to see Steve's avatar design made, great news for pinball as long as Gary and Steve can get along

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 01:41:08 PM »
"I am honored to work with Gary Stern and Dave Peterson, along with the talented Stern staff on an exciting new chapter in pinball history. Long Live Pinball!"

Something of a turnaround from the public comments he made after the demise of their earlier relationship!

But glad to see him back "in the game" so to speak.

Lets hope they also recruit a software person/team so we don't have the same rules in every game.. .. ..
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Pinprick

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 01:36:29 PM »

There seems to be a healthy revival of Pinball in the USA.  ^^^

Spot on.

There appears to be a "name grab" contest of talented people between JJP & Stern.
This is a wonderful opportunity for for some brilliant people who were put out to pasture by WMS &c.
Even better news for enthusiasts - we should see a return to real collector's machines as the competitors vie to produce pins that will appeal to us.
My fervent hope is that the market & economy can sustain both parties without detriment to their businesses.

Whatever transpires, it looks like being very exciting times for all of us in the foreseeable . . . . .

"I don't operate on a level playing field"