Author Topic: Gottlieb Buccaneer Restoration  (Read 6131 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Gottlieb Buccaneer Restoration
« on: March 02, 2011, 11:27:33 PM »
Next in the resto queue is a favorite of mine, Gottlieb Buccaneer. This restoration is one I've moved up the queue as I really enjoy doing wedgeheads.

Background

I picked up this machine from a Holiday Resort in Lakes Entrance a few years ago. I saw the game pictured in their gamesroom on the web before we booked. Naturally, we had to stay at this place  #@# . Anyway, when we got there, I saw the machine and it was neglected. I spoke to the manager and asked him if he would mind if I "fixed" the machine. He said it had not been played for years. I switched it on, adjusted the coin switch and started a game. His eyes popped out of his head ! I told him it needs rubbers, globes etc etc - and a new plunger. I told him that when I get home I'll post him all the parts he needs to get it earning again ! I "had" to leave my details in case he ever sold it..  When I got home, I sourced the parts and told him I would sent the package. He asked me how much it was worth, "not for the parts son, for the machine" !, and then he said he would contact me in a few months.. Which he did ! He called me up and said " Can you pick it up within the week ?" I bolted down there and picked it up that weekend (8 hour return trip). I brought it home and it has been in my garage ever since. I ordered the parts, and it has been sitting there for nexarly three years. Until last weekend !

Objective

This machine should be a straight forward restore. Cabinet does not need repainting, but I've sent images off to Gavin to create licensed stensils for his business. The game WORKS and is just missing the spinner, which ironically, is on one of my Pro Footballs - Go figure ! This won't be a massive restore, as it is in VERY good condition with minimal corrosion.

Condition

Cabinet - 8/10 - For its AGE, it is VERY tidy. No damage, just worn near the flipper buttons

Playfield - 8/10 - Easy. Very nice colours, there are some sunken inserts which I need to attend to and a dirty big wear spot near the RHS outlane. Contact was used to cover the playfield - including the wear  !@#

Electrical - 9/10 - REALLY good. Everything is intact. Looking forward to rebuilding the steppers even though they are all working fine

Backglass - 7/10 - Some flaking, but I will arrest this and look at touching it up - only one or two colors affected.

Before pictures

I'm using bigger pictures for this restore - so if they are too big etc - let me know

Have a look at the plunger assy !

.. and a picture to prove she works - But hardly ANY globes work !

Playfield Disassembly and contact removal

Starting with the playfield. The contact is really easy to remove. The adhesive is soft and remains on the playfield. I used a hari dryer and patience. Here are some shots before I removed it. It is almost like a mountainscape around the inlanes. This is why you need to cut rings around posts in the contact / mylar. It is raised very badly to the point of affecting ball travel.

Contact removal - moving down the playfield in sections using a hair dryer, pliers and a scalpel

Nasty touch up around the bumper - which is behind the bumper and covered by a plastic. It is not a wear spot - the ball does not travel near this section. I think when the playfield was disassembled (years ago), a chemical was dropped on the artwork. This problem is in three seperate places, and looks to be unnaturally worn.

Opps ! First of many inserts to pop out !

Contact fully removed, with an ugly residue

More inserts removed. I ended up removing all of them. Great sign was that none are worn, but they look to be poorly installed in the factory.

End of first installment !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Gottlieb Buccaneer Restoration
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 11:51:12 PM »
Nice playfield for its age

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 12:10:55 AM »
Looks like it will come up nice Nino. Thats the first time i've seen a Gottlieb pf with loose inserts, everyone i've seen or worked on its a real task to get them out when you want them out of the pf,  :lol

Are there any plans to touch up the bit of wear that is present on the pf? and will you be doing any backglass touchup yourself or getting someone else to do it? It looks ok from what i can see in the pic. How bad is the flaking and is it in lit areas of the glass?

buccaneer is an old favourite of mine so i will be looking forward to seeing your progress with this one ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 12:19:25 AM »

Yes, the playfield is very good for its age. I'm still dumbfounded at the paint loss. I do plan on airbrushing the pop bumper area, even though it is totally obscured. The RED and YELLOW in the right outlane is missing and the white section under the plastic in the top right hand corner is very bad. I'm about to teach myself  airbrushing. So that will be really interesting.

The paint "loss" and inserts popping out is really strange.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 08:53:35 PM »

That sure is one of the great "How I found this pinball stories!  #*# Thanks for sharing.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 10:29:15 PM »
Nice look forward to following the resto  *%*

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 08:41:34 AM »
Certainly a great base to start with Nino and will look 10000% by the time you've finished!

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 09:17:14 AM »

I'm SLOWLY removing the residue from the playfield. I'm using shellite and some old rags. The good news is that under the contact and residue is a perfectly preserved playfield. The areas missing paint are not wear areas. They are not areas where contact removed paint, or high traffic has worn the playfield. There are two mysteries with this playfield. The paint "erosion" areas and the inserts which are popping out of the playfield. I have removed nearly all the inserts.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 11:38:38 AM »
Beauty another EM thread.   And as nick mention one of the best stories on how you came tonpwn the game.

Playfield does look good but the inserts are a little disturbing as Mitch said these are usually rock solid

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 11:46:48 AM »
Watching this one Nino .... you lucky bugger  *%*
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 07:15:29 PM »
Looks like a fun game to play looking forward to this

Offline chris288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 08:49:13 PM »
Great looking machine Nino, always loved Buccaneer.

Love the story too about how you came across it and looking forward to the no doubt "stunning" end result.

I have a Cardwhiz playfield with loose inserts. Maybe it was a bad batch of glue.

Hope you leave the hand painted 20cents label there it adds character :lol

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
Looks like a fun game to play looking forward to this

For a game with no drop targets, it is still immensely fun to play. This will be a quick restoration (compared to Aces High) as this is a better base to start off with. I'm almost 3/4 of the way through the playfield contact residue removal, and I'm very pleased with the condition and Im "thinking ahead" to the airbrushing.

Great looking machine Nino, always loved Buccaneer.

Love the story too about how you came across it and looking forward to the no doubt "stunning" end result.

I have a Cardwhiz playfield with loose inserts. Maybe it was a bad batch of glue.

Hope you leave the hand painted 20cents label there it adds character :lol

Bingo - exactly what I was thinking tonight. Has to be bad glue, or not enough glue. The inserts are very clean, and the holes have no glue to speak of.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 12:00:44 AM »

More Playfield !

With hardly any effort, I removed the remainder of the inserts with my finger, pushing them up from the bottom of the playfield. Took only a couple of minutes and then I had a playfield with no inserts.

Here are the inserts ;

Each insert is cleaned. The side is roughed up with a scotchbrite and I used Super Glue gel to re install. All were level and left to dry for 24 hours.

On to the cabinet

The cabinet is completely stripped bare. I take a few pictures so I know where things go after cleaning / polishing / repairing or replacing ! This particular cabinet is very sound compared to most I've seen.

All that is left is the legs. The siderails and plastic guide are removed to be cleaned properly and the loose staples are replaced. I will regrain the side rails, and install new nails.

The legs I have chosen are a better set than the originals - still the CORRECT size and type. I've polished them with the legbolts and installed new leg levellers. The siderails have been regrained using a green scotchbrite as they were not as scratched as most I've seen.  The cabinet was cwashed and cleaned with Nifti and an old paint brush.

Here's the RHS with the regrained siderail.

I already ordered most of the parts some time ago, so things will pick up.

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 12:18:43 AM »
Great restore thread Nino  @@*
Look forward to the finished pics,