Author Topic: Question for the eBay guru's  (Read 410 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Question for the eBay guru's
« on: March 05, 2011, 10:43:08 AM »
I've been monitoring some eBay auctions of late (pinball) and I have a quick question.

As eBay now disguises the bidders real user name and changes it to say a 1***d (2011) ( I know the last section in brackets is their feedback) does this stay the same for that particular user throughout all auctions?

Ie if that exact same user name - in its disguised format appears over say 3 or 4 auctions as bidding is it the same account?

(the above user ID is just made up)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Question for the eBay guru's
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 11:20:45 AM »

An interesting question.

The "(2011)" is their feedback, and you can find out what items they have been bidding on recently.

I think that the two letters represent a part of their real username. like eBay name = "username" would be "a***m (2011)" for one auction and change for the next auction to say "r***e  (2011)". Would be the same ebay user, but represented differently for individual auctions.

I think that is right - curious to know if that is the case.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 11:25:25 AM »

An interesting question.

The "(2011)" is their feedback, and you can find out what items they have been bidding on recently.

I think that the two letters represent a part of their real username. like eBay name = "username" would be "a***m (2011)" for one auction and change for the next auction to say "r***e  (2011)". Would be the same ebay user, but represented differently for individual auctions.

I think that is right - curious to know if that is the case.

I recall reading somewhere - but for the life of me cannot find it that it was an algorithm type situation on your account and it stayed the same always...ie 1***d(2011) was always the same but the only thing that changed was their feedback.

I was hoping one of the members here could confirm....

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 01:14:11 PM »
It does not change.

It always stays the exact same disguised name for any and every auction, regardless as to how many auctions u enter at once, over the same day or a week/month.

Everytime I partake in a ebay auction, my disguised ebay calculated name always appears the same to me , or to any other viewer.
The only time any part of it changes, is if additional feedback has been given and the number at the end increases numerically. 

Hope it helps.  ^^^

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 01:19:09 PM »
It does not change.

It always stays the exact same disguised name for any and every auction, regardless as to how many auctions u enter at once, over the same day or a week/month.

Everytime I partake in a ebay auction, my disguised ebay calculated name always appears the same to me , or to any other viewer.
The only time any part of it changes, is if additional feedback has been given and the number at the end increases numerically.  

Hope it helps.  ^^^

Thanks Brett,

Appreciate it.  I tend to watch more than I bid and the last few have been all Buy It Nows (parts only)...I never thought to check my own.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 01:23:01 PM by MartyJ »

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 03:06:19 PM »
It does not change.

Hope it helps.  ^^^

100% right is never changes.
If you want to find out the bidders name just wait until feedback is left (if the win the item) and you will then know their "code"

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 08:43:46 PM »
Interesting.

I am watching four very different pinball machine auctions with three same bidders bidding over the four machines....

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 11:38:14 PM »
It's not me Marty so bid away  ^^^

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 09:47:12 AM »
I know your taste in machines Daniel so was confident not you

Offline scozza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Kensington Grove, QLD
    • eviltechie.com
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 09:13:08 PM »
LOL, could be me Marty, I'm snooping around ebay at the mo (-:

Cheers,

Scott.
*** Playball (2) - Hotline - Goldball - Fish Tales - Lethal Weapon 3 -  Striker Xtreme - Star Trek TNG - Star Trek Pro *** Previous machines - Gorgar - Surf Champ - Centigrade 37 - Liberty Bell - Magic - Galaxy -  ***

Offline jumpback

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 05:38:32 PM »
stalking <..>