Author Topic: Flash Display segments out  (Read 195 times)

Offline PinPal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
Flash Display segments out
« on: March 11, 2011, 12:17:20 PM »
!@# You go for a while with no faults at all in you’re games and  you go and power up a game and then!!  ^&^
My Williams Flash has sum segments out, Player 1, Player 2. Match and Ball in Play. Had no trouble with the displays since I got Flash in December last year.
(Pictured) set on display test . Looking at the Pinball repair guide I found it might be the UDN7180 Chip on the master dispaly board.  
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:40:34 PM by PinPal »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Flash Display segments out
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 01:47:12 PM »
a couple of things you can check before replacing the expensive UDN7180.. have a look at resistors R1 thru R7 on the master display board, (the ones to the top left of the display glass) and see if any are getting hot or are burnt. These resistors run the 7 segments of each digit in the player 1 and 2 and master display glass.

Another thing you can try is remove the connector from player 1 and player 2 score displays one at a time and turn the game on, and see if the others work ok. I have seen it happen where a bad display glass can pull down the segment lines and cause segments to be out in some of the other displays. So for example if you remove player 1 display connector and the player 2 and the master display work ok, then the player 1 display glass is faulty. this fault will cause one of resistors R1 thru R7 to get hot and burn up. Had this same fault on my Stellar Wars

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 05:19:43 PM »
+1   had the same problem on Time warp faulty glass causing all sorts of issues

Offline PinPal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 09:42:52 PM »
Fixed  #*#   I checked all the master dispaly with a DMM and found a dead resistor.  I replaced it and now its working beautiful again  #*#.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:44:59 PM by PinPal »

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 05:34:14 PM »
Thats great news a resitor worth a few cents and a few minutes work compared to a $50 display glass or replacing an IC is a good result