Author Topic: WILLIAMS FIREPOWER  (Read 1440 times)

Offline lenoz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
WILLIAMS FIREPOWER
« on: March 19, 2011, 02:42:55 PM »
Hi all, I replaced the 3 AA backup batteries from my machine & when I turned it back on it always comes on with test mode 4 and cannot get game back to normal - any suggestions please ?

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Re: WILLIAMS FIREPOWER
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 02:55:01 PM »
This is from http://www.pinrepair.com/sys37/index2.htm#factory

Dead batteries (or worse, dead corroded batteries) will cause problems getting a system4 to system7 game to power-up properly. On these games, if the batteries are dead, the game can still boot, but will come up in "audit" mode (system3 games do not have this boot-up audit mode). To get to attract mode, turn the game off and on again quickly. If done fast enough, the game should come up in attract mode. Note on System6 and System7 games, the coin door *must* be open for this to work (memory protection switch open).

If the game still doesn't come up in attract mode, even with the "turn it off and on quickly" trick, the CMOS 5101 RAM chip at IC19 is probably bad.

Please refer back to the Batteries and Battery Holders section for more information on this subject, including how to test the batteries, blocking diode D17, and the CMOS 5101 RAM at IC19.

Any signs of corrosion around the battery Holder?

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 03:28:11 PM »
And make sure the batteries are in the right way - as they all face the same way it can be a little counter-intuitive.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 03:34:50 PM »
Also the holder loose tension and dont make contact with the batteries

Offline lenoz

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 05:35:25 PM »
Thanks all for quick replies, have looked and tried each of these ideas but still no luck, battery holder is after market addition & doesn't look very old - can't believe my luck, thought it would be a pretty simple & innocent thing to do seeing as i recently purchased machine & didn't know how long the 'noname batteries' were in place for.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 05:40:02 PM »
Try givving he game a quick turn on then off then back on again real quick

Offline lenoz

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 10:17:54 PM »
Did that thx DDSTOYS but no luck still, does anyone know what the default dipswitch settings (behind the backglasss) should be normally set at ? , also if it is any help when game is turned on the display on player 1 is 1497 2

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 10:23:21 PM »
Have you tried cycling through some audits using the test button inside the coin door?
This usually gets my Time Warp going.
It always happens if I let the batteries get flat.
New batteries and a bit of messing around gets it going.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 10:54:36 PM »
1497 2 means game is botting to audits mode .. doesn't really help with telling you why .
I quick turn off/on a few times doesn't work , and batteries are around the right way , and there is continuity from the battery holder to the CPU board .. try changing the batteries again (or check the voltage of the battery pack) .. typically this symptom (only booting to audits mode) means game is detecting backup battery voltage is too low .. especially if the game was botting up properly before you changed the batteries .. unfortunately there could be something else wrong though .. have a read here

http://www.pinrepair.com/sys37/index1.htm#battery
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 10:56:46 PM »
Damn .. I spelt booting wrong twice  @.@

Offline lenoz

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 11:03:58 PM »
Thanks goodoldday, my machine has a after market battery holder that sits on the floor of back panel, there is no problem with voltage etc going to cpu board as i tested all this etc, damned if you do damned if you dont decide to change batteries as i thought this would be a good thing to do as I only purchased this a couple of weeks ago, had a play with audit tests also, but no luck.

Offline lenoz

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 12:42:12 AM »
Would any of the fuses have anything maybe to do with this ?

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 03:15:46 AM »
I had a remote battery pack in a machine that had this tiny little on of switch which i knocked when i changed the batteries  !@#

Offline lenoz

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 03:37:23 AM »
Had a close look at that too, but Iam getting power to the board.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 09:31:14 AM »
Probably a silly question but did you have the coin door open when you tried to switch it off/on quickly ?
Are all 3 balls in the ball through?

Rgds
Dave